Ares Games

All Blog Entries

1. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Campaign - Chapter 4 – 3000 or More - Part 1

[B][I]May 30, 1940[/I][/B]

[I]"C'mon lad! Up we go! Take out that wet clothes and roll this blanket around yourself." "Than-thank you." "Don't talk for now. You're shaking. Drink this. I was saving it for when we dock at Dover but you can have it." "Thanks. The German?..." "Gone home, my lad. Those who survived... You boys were angels up there." "Thanks..." "Where are you from?" "Por... Por... Poland." ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Campaign - Chapter 3 – Targets of Opportunity

Late afternoon, 12 May 1940, Somewhere over NW France

Two days ago, the German war machine had come to France, and “Marianne” was finding [I]blitzkrieg[/I] to be an unforgiving dance partner. The initial thrust of the attack had broken through French lines in several locations; troops were already falling back before the flood, reeling from a coordinated series of strikes that had overwhelmed their defenses.

It had been two of the longest, most frustrating ...
  3. New Year = New Energy!

Da boys (Smitch, The G Dog, and Adler64) and I have been getting some gaming in with more on the immediate horizon! That, coupled with a slow down at work after the holiday season that allows me to recoup my life a bit, has got my Wings of Glory sap rising (I was going to say juices flowing...).

Last weekend several of us met at The Hobby Shop in Miamisburg, which is south of Dayton, in good ol' Ohio. We played three games of Wings of Glory, took a beer break, I mean lunch break, ...
  4. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Campaign - Chapter 2 - Introductions

Early morning, 10 May 1940, Berry-au-Bac, France

Tendrils of mist curled skyward as the last vestiges of night fled before the dawn. The muted sounds of a little village waking up filled the air, heralding a day full of promise. The air was crisp and clean; the showers of the previous evening having dispersed. It was, by almost any standard, a beautiful morning.

Sergeant (Pilot) Christopher George Raymond, No. 1 Squadron RAF, noticed none of these things. Instead, ...
  5. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Campaign - Prologue 4 (A Spanish Tale)

[B][I]May 29, 1940[/I][/B]

"So, Joachim, is this your real name?" "Joaquim..." "Joaquim?" "Yes. Joaquim Ferreira." "So you are a Portuguese?" "Yes." "Not a Polish?" "No." "So why being a Polish?" "A draft RAF sergeant decided my nationality." "Really? Why?" "I don't know, Kyte... Probably..." Don't call me Kyte, call me David." "David Kyte?" "David ...