Ares Games

Flying Helmut

1. 'Origins' Through the Helmut-Cam: Flying Helmut’s Origins Odyssey - Jun 2023: Part VI

Blog Part VI

On to ‘Origins’

We surfaced bright and early, and after a cup of tea brewed by Jackie I settled into Jim’s car and we departed, with Peter following in his car.

The day was bright and sunny, the traffic was fairly light, and Jim and I chatted all the way to Columbus – so much so that I didn’t think to take any photographs! Columbus is not very far from Dayton, only around an hour or so by Interstate 70.

I was amused to notice ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 'Origins' Through the Helmut-Cam: Flying Helmut’s Origins Odyssey - Jun 2023: Part V

Philadelphia International Airport

Philly Airport’s passenger building is shaped like a huge banana – Terminal A West is at one end, and Terminal F is at the other. I arrived at the former, and was to depart from the latter, so I needed to travel the entire length of the building; about a 30 minute walk. There was an airport bus service available, but I thought I’d see more if I “hoofed it”, and, anyway, I had hours to kill before my connecting flight departed.

I took ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Images  
  3. 'Origins' Through the Helmut-Cam: Flying Helmut’s Origins Odyssey - Jun 2023: Part IV

Down to Earth – with a Chump!

Arriving at Philadelphia International Airport, I faced the ‘Ordeal by Incivility’ which apparently is the Modus Operandi of the Passport Control Security Officers.

Beckoned forward from the front of the queue by a large, angry-looking individual, I was then ordered to “Halt!” at his glass booth, and the Interrogation began…

Q “Why are you entering the United States?” A “To go to the ‘Origins’ Games Convention in Columbus, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 'Origins' Through the Helmut-Cam: Flying Helmut’s ‘Origins’ Odyssey - June 2023

Part III

Flying – For Real!

I had no interest in buying anything in the myriad shops along my route to the departure Gates; aside from being forewarned by various online articles about the grossly inflated prices of all commodities on sale at airports, I had no wish to add any extra items to my carry-on luggage. If I was to buy anything extra on this trip, it would be to bring back home, not to export to the U.S.A!

Name:  20230620_090622.jpg
Views: 43350
Size:  163.8 KB ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 'Origins' Through the Helmut-Cam: Flying Helmut’s ‘Origins’ Odyssey - June 2023

Part II – Tuesday June 20th

Departure

I pretty-well leapt out of bed @ 05:00! – I was determined to be ready for the taxi @ 06:15.

When I had travelled to Prague back in April, my taxi had arrived over half an hour too early, and I had still been in the shower! Back then, I had rushed my exit from my house, trying not to keep the driver waiting, and had felt very dishevelled and disorganised – this time around, I wanted everything to be more controlled ...
    Tags: Origins
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast