Ares Games

Blog Comments

Wow! looks like a blast was had by all. Thanks so much for sharing the pics.

Thomas
    Great pics, Carl.
    Looks like a fantastic museum.
    My first love was armour, so this is right up my street.

Wow! What a fantastic collection!
    World Class!
    Fantastic collection Carl!
    Nice collection.
    Nice pictures, Carl.

Oustanding collection - nice presented.
    What a lovely selection of arty pieces! The Quad/limber/25 pdr is my favorite

Thanks for posting these, Carl!

All the best,
    Matt
    Nice pics, Carl.
    My dad was in a 25-pounder unit in Burma.

Gotta love the '88'
    Great pics. Carl; you're luring me into getting all those tanks for Tanks painted up.
    Karl
    Great stuff Carl, thanks.
    Great pics Carl!
    Man I am jealous!
    Thanks for posting, Carl.
    Very interesting assortment. The Saladin and Saracen caught my eye as I had Dinky Toy and Matchbox versions as a kid.
    Might still have them in the basement ...
    Nearly 1300 kilometers in a day and then a 600 km detour.

Interesting story & nice pictures, Carl.

Nice!
    Thank you Sven. Australia's official WW1 historian Mr. C.E.W. Bean was a great advocate for the Australian War Memorial. He was adamant that it should be a place to commemorate the experiences of the men and women who have served their country and was concerned that it should not be seen to be glorifying war or triumphing over the enemy. The exhibits captured from the enemy were to be described as 'relics' not 'trophies' and there were to be no derogatory terms used to describe former enemies such as 'Hun' for the Germans and 'Abdul' for the Turks.

Bean drew up a list of exhibition principles, suggesting among other things that the galleries should "avoid glorification of war and boasting of victory" and also "avoid perpetuating enmity … for both moral and national reasons and because those who have fought in wars are generally strongest in their desire to prevent war". In general, the former enemies should be treated as generously as were Australians. Bean was a front line correspondent during the First World War, was wounded and Mentioned in Dispatches for his service in Gallipoli. After witnessing first hand the horror of the Western Front all his life Bean deeply felt an obligation to keep alive the memories of those who had sacrificed so much.
    Indeed, Carl.

Great tour!
    Fantastic pictures & stories, Carl.

Normally I should be displeased that so much German WW II stuff was captured. ...but I'm very happy that the Australians care so much for their prey & show what they had to fight against in WW II.
    Nice.

Good picture with informations.
    Thanks for this insight into the War Memorial.
    Rob.
    Great photo tour mate, and it is now on my list of places I must get to one day

Dave
    I think I've just expended a rep point, dont know whether I can here again, was that for junior or senior. Great tour...how can I get any work done with such distractions. It started with the sign outside...sunshine, heat, warmth.ahhh. Here in Berlin it is grey, very cold and dreary and its been like it for months...The rest of the tour was magic, espcially with the descriptions of the exhibits. Can't thank you enough for taking all the time and effort.