Ares Games

Carl_Brisgamer

1. Ausarmourfest 2017 at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum, Cairns (Part 4)

With a fairly comprehensive examination of the static displays completed it is time to take a walk outside to see some of the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum's vehicles in action. We were at the museum when it opened on Saturday and were among the first patrons to view the tanks, SPGs, APCs and armoured cars prepared for operations at Ausarmourfest.

Name:  IMG_1709.jpg
Views: 9520
Size:  177.0 KB

I have to say when I saw the Tiger I replica I was pretty darn excited. Beside ...
  2. Ausarmourfest 2017 at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum, Cairns (Part 3)

One more look at the south wing of the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum before we go outside and see some armour in action. So far we have covered post WW2 armoured vehicles and artillery from WW1 to the present. Now let's get up close to a great selection of WW2 AFVs.

Name:  IMG_1770.jpg
Views: 11202
Size:  209.1 KB

The first is a Sturmgeschütz III, the most produced German AFV of the Second World War.

Name:  IMG_1772.jpg
Views: 9336
Size:  184.7 KB

This StuG III ...
  3. Ausarmourfest 2017 at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum, Cairns (Part 2)

Part 2 of my virtual tour of the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum in Cairns will focus on the second category - known as the "Queen of the Battlefield" - the artillery. The museum has a massive collection of over 150 pieces from WW1, WW2 and the modern era, so I won't post ALL the pictures I took, but I will present a representative sample.

Name:  IMG_1733.jpg
Views: 8898
Size:  178.1 KB

At the end of the south wing of the museum the regimental banners of the Royal ...
  4. Ausarmourfest 2017 at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum, Cairns 2-3 Sep 2017

Last weekend I made the trip 1700 kilometres north from my hometown of Brisbane to the tropical city of Cairns in far north Queensland, Australia. This year I turned 50 so to celebrate a great friend of mine Ashley and I flew up to Cairns to visit the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum, and specifically to attend Ausarmourfest 2017.

Name:  IMG_1659.jpg
Views: 8217
Size:  148.5 KB

We flew up Friday evening 1 September 2017 on a Tiger Air A320. On arrival we picked up our vehicle ...
  5. Return from Cancon 2013

After a fantastic three days of WGS gaming over the Australia Day long weekend Tuesday morning 29 January 2013 saw me back on the road early. I was intending to drive the 1260km from Canberra to my home in Brisbane in one day - and I almost made it too!

On the way however I stopped to visit the scene of a terrible wartime tragedy which occurred on 5 August 1944 at the little NSW country town of Cowra.

Name:  Cowra 1.jpg
Views: 8659
Size:  200.4 KB

Located 170 kilometres ...
    Tags: Cancon, Cowra, POW, WGS
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast