Ares Games

Ramblings Over the Front

The occasional post of my Wings of War/Glory gaming and collecting.

1. Extra Decks - I Deck

It is one of my favorite mid-war decks. While the speed is average, the broad sideslips give this deck an advantage over the V Deck of the Albatros D.I/D.II and the J Deck of the Albatros D.III and Pfalz D.III.

Name:  dhm6698.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  71.2 KB

Selecting a plane to use with my one extra I Deck is much easier than my N Deck conundrum. Options are the Fokker D.V, the Morane-Saulnier Type V, Nieuport 17, Nieuport 17bis, Nieuport 21, Nieuport 23, and the Airco DH-5.
  2. The Shapeways Pfalz Dr.I Project - Part III

Name:  20230611_064530.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  58.0 KB
    Other than adding a peg to the bottom of the fuselage, this project is complete!

The sharp eyed among you will notice that the crosses are not 100% correct - I had ordered a sheet of the Mark I decals (modern Luftwaffe) and the picture in the description did not allow a clear and large view of the crosses and so I thought I would be receiving crosses with no white borders. Even the decal sheet, being on a light blue background, was in my hands, ...

Updated 06-13-2023 at 07:51 by predhead

Categories
    Pfalz , Shapeways
  3. The Shapeways Pfalz Dr.I Project - Part II

Name:  20230603_163751.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  49.2 KB
    So odd what the digital camera will pick up...this bird looks much nicer with the naked eye!

Prop in place, details painted, varnish applied, and the plane is nearing completion. Another touch up of matte varnish and perhaps before that a couple of touchups of paint. Then off to order decals!

Name:  20230603_163759.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  64.8 KB

Updated 06-13-2023 at 07:52 by predhead

Categories
    Pfalz , Shapeways
  4. The Shapeways Pfalz Dr.I Project

Name:  20230602_203227.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  69.7 KB
    The grainy finish is evident in the picture, even after two costs of paint.

While I am awaiting the next Siemens-Schuckert D.I to make its way to Cincinnati, I have decided to work on another Shapeways plane, this one being the Pfalz Dr.I offering from Decapod. Ordered in the Gray PA12, which is my preferred base material due to inherent "primed" finish, I've had this cool little beast - for me one of the most aesthetically pleasing ...
  5. And For My Next Trick...

With the recent spate of repaints I have completed (well, two could be a spate, yes?), I am prepping a couple of planes for painting, but not repaints, but Shapeways offerings. One, a Reduced Aircraft Factory Siemens-Schuckert D.Is, also in Gray PA12, will be looking like this (I hope) upon completion.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  5.0 KB

Or this: