Ares Games

Ramblings Over the Front

The occasional post of my Wings of War/Glory gaming and collecting.

1. Extra Decks - A Deck

Fast it is, and fits the tactics of boom and zoom. Don't dogfight with this deck, use it to dive down on an opponent then climb back to altitude.

Name:  navratil_2.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  78.9 KB

There are a few planes that use this deck, and really most players avoid these planes because they do not perform sexy turns and sideslips, but speed is the key here, and used with a fast climber this deck can cause issues for those more maneuverable birds. The offerings for this deck are the ...
  2. My Kingdom for...

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    ..a Thomas-Morse S-4C!

Name:  a79a8079dcd039471c113a77ed738bc78c9f5691.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  48.5 KB

It is a very small kingdom I offer, the size of a postage stamp really, but if Shapeways designers can provide us with the Curtiss JN-4 Jenny (thank you Colinwe), and the Kettering Bug (thanks Z's, Kampfflieger, and Columbia Aerodrome), then certainly we can see a Tommy! Did it see service? Yes, albeit as a trainer. But how cool is the Tommy? It was made in large numbers, became the iconic World War I movie plane
  3. Extra Decks - I Deck

It is one of my favorite mid-war decks. While the speed is average, the broad sideslips give this deck an advantage over the V Deck of the Albatros D.I/D.II and the J Deck of the Albatros D.III and Pfalz D.III.

Name:  dhm6698.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  71.2 KB

Selecting a plane to use with my one extra I Deck is much easier than my N Deck conundrum. Options are the Fokker D.V, the Morane-Saulnier Type V, Nieuport 17, Nieuport 17bis, Nieuport 21, Nieuport 23, and the Airco DH-5.
  4. Extra Decks - B Deck

Name:  hungarian_ace_jozsef_kiss_by_caastel_deftex2-pre.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  48.7 KB

The B deck - one I would say is not coveted by most Wings players because it doesn't have those sexy curves or sharp sideslips, but if players use this deck as the planes were used, with a lot of diving and climbing, it is one that can be used successfully. B deck planes are the Albatros D.III (Oef 153), Albatros D.V and D.Va, Caudron R.11, SPAD C.VII, and Airco DH.9A. These are all solid offerings, but with the gaps in my collection leaning towards ...
  5. And We Keep Growing...

Our little band of gamers grows here on the Aerodrome. Four of us now grace the forum, and I hope to recruit a few more. Seems like a truly grand place with lots of helpful and friendly members. Besides myself, Smitch, Adler64, and The G Dog are onboard. We are all longtime miniatures gamers, with Adler64 and The G Dog getting me hooked years ago at college (Miami University) where they were doing a micro armor game. I had been a boardgamer for a number of years before that, an older cousin ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast