PDA

View Full Version : Report from Williamsburg Muster 2010

richard m schwab
02-13-2010, 08:08
Last weekend The Williamsburg Muster was held in Williamsburg Virginia. Bad weather hit the the D.C. area last Friday which kept the attendance down this year. Last year a 25% of the gamers came from that area.
I planed on running two DOW games. The first a learning game and the second an attack on a carrier. I had one taker on the first game, a board War Hammer gamer who`s game had been canceled. I walked him through the while he flew a P-39 against some Sally`s. After about a half hour we had four other players. The Allies flew a P-39, a P-40 and a Fm-2. The Axis flew A Zero, a Tony and an Oscar.
The game began with a bang it took three turns for the first kill. The thought that the young lady flying the Tony was quite ruthless by shooting down her fiancée in the Fm-2. he sat out a turn and came back in on the edge. I lasted six turns before my Oscar was blown from the sky. I also restated on the edge of the table. Meanwhile the other players were having a real Fur Ball of activity firing away at each other. I got back into the action just in time to get blown away a second time. Yes a KI-43 is no match when wedged between a P-39 and a P-40 at close range. I retired from the game and watched the others. The next to go was the Zero but not before hitting the P-39 a good one. The P-40 player retired he had a WOW game to set up. That left the hapless Fm-2 who went down to the P-39 who finally shot down the Tony. We had a good time, four of the players were WOW players who trying DOW for the first time.
I set up the second game but had no takers all the first game players were in other games. I have posted photos of the game in the photos section.

sparty
02-13-2010, 09:35
That's awesome. I saw pictures from last year's game on the website for the conference and, I believe, also on BGG.

I would have tried to come up and play from Raleigh (about 5 hours), but the weather kept me away. Next year though I definitely plan on coming up if the weather's better.

richard m schwab
02-13-2010, 09:52
Thank you we had a good time. The guy who flew the P-39 was up from Wilmington. The weather only got worse locally that day. They had a survey at the sign desk. One of the questions was would i attend a August convention. i said yes!

sparty
02-13-2010, 10:04
August is a tricky time of year for a convention though given the competition!

* World Boardgaming Championships in PA run from the 1st - 8th
* GenCon Indy is the 5th - 8th (Indianapolis, IN)
* GameFest South is the 19th - 22nd (Chattanooga TN)
* Gamers Reunion is the 23rd (Rochester MN)

So that's a pretty busy time on the East Coast for conventions. Now...October only has 1 I think and November has MACE in High Point, but that's probably about the same scale as the Williamsburg Muster. You guys might work with the MACE folks to figure out a way to do alternating locations in different years so everyone gets more attendees.

richard m schwab
02-13-2010, 10:16
It was a idea, we will see what happens. But you right, lots of competition.