PDA

View Full Version : BALLOON OPTIONS

usmc1855
08-29-2009, 13:11
While waiting for the Balloon Busters Miniatures to be released, I've had to go elsewhere for Balloon miniatures. My first purchase was the French Caquot/Ae 800 Balloon. In USD it runs about $32.00 and comes with the wenching vehicle. I've posted pics of it in the Litco Stands discussions.

The second Balloon I picked up is the Drachen Balloon made by Armaments in Miniature. Here's a picture of the un-assembled balloon:

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/pics/2009/jun/411751a.jpg

It costs USD $18.00.

The Skytrex Balloon did not come with any string or wire for suspending the supplied basket beneath the balloon. I used black string. With the Drachen Balloon, it came with a .2mm wire to suspend the balloon. I found the wire much easier to work with. Later this eventing I'll take a picture of the Drachen and post it here.

I'm anxious to pick up the Balloon Busting set to compare the Balloons.

This link is to a great article on the Caquot Balloon, with an emphasis on eth U.S. use of the Balloon:

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1980/may-jun/schriver.html

usmc1855
08-29-2009, 13:16
My first purchase was the French Caquot/Ae 800 Balloon. In USD it runs about $32.00 and comes with the wenching vehicle. I've posted pics of it in the Litco Stands discussions.

I failed to identify that this particular Balloon was purchased from Skytrex, adn can be found here:

http://www.skytrex.com/

usmc1855
08-29-2009, 19:26
These are a few pictures of the assembled and painted Drachen (pictured above in it's un-assembled form).

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=543

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=546

And here is an image of the Skytrex made Ae800/Caquot Baloon:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=549

And here are the two balloons together:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=548

Ritterton
09-02-2009, 21:33
Really like these models. You did a great job!

Oberst Hajj
09-02-2009, 21:51
How well does the Ae800 stand up on that hex base? I'm assuming that you guys measure to the actual balloon for determining range?

usmc1855
09-03-2009, 03:24
Not well at all. I usually have it on the large base, but for the picture of the two of them tether, I placed it on the small base. I have only the one large base at the moment. I'll try and see if either will stand firm on an airplanes base.

Zeppelin
09-09-2009, 16:04
Awesome job on the balloon models.

usmc1855
09-09-2009, 17:41
Thanks, they have really added to our gaming.

I'm seriously considering picking up two more of the Drachens, and once the Caquot comes out with the Balloon Busters set, I'll pick up two of them to give me three of each style, as I think having three Balloons on the board at one time will be about the max that will still be playable.

usmc1855
09-14-2009, 17:37
I've been experimenting with options on what stands to use with the Balloons I have. The large rectangular plexiglass stand I have (custom ordered from Litko) is great for the Caquot Balloon, and I've learned that anything smaller as a stand is unstable.

The Drachens however, hold up very well on smaller bases. Even the standard miniature base that comes with the WoW planes work extremely well. They also stand very well on the Likto made 2-1/2" hex bases.

The difference in the two Balloos that would result in one working on a small base, and one not? The Skytrex made Caquot is a made of two solid pieces, while the Drachen is made of two hollow molded pieces which produces a great difference in their weights.

I have ordered two more Drachens from Armaments in Miniature, as well as more hex base stands and 6" flight pegs from Litko. Now... if only the Balloon Buster sets would be released, I'd be setting real pretty with opposing armadas of Balloons!

By the way... is there any word on what kind of base the Caquot with the Balloon Busters will have?

Oberst Hajj
09-14-2009, 23:16
I've not heard any thing about the type of base that will be used in the new set.

Oberst Hajj
09-14-2009, 23:16
I've not heard any thing about the type of base that will be used in the new set.

Roger Wilco
09-22-2009, 17:46
I just recieved 2 of AIM's balloons in the post, it only took 2 weeks from purchase to delivery here in Australia. Communication with the seller was good and the price for postage and packageing was spot on as was the padding inside the parcel. The model looks exactly like the photos on the web site and the quality of the cast is nice with only a couple of small areas that will require a light carefull sanding and there is very little evidence of bubbles in the resin surface, so filling of my models will not even be an issue. The models main balloon sections are hollow as is the drouge attachment at the rear so its very light in weight when put together, this is good as far as basing goes as you can get away with a thin light weight base. The parts test fit well together and the fit is and nice tight and the instructions supplied are clear and informative. It will take very little time to put both balloons together and paint although I will probably ditch the wires that are supplied for rigging the basket as it looks a bit too thick for my tastes and will use some really fine armature wire I have that looks a bit more to scale. This will make the rigging a bit more fiddly than would normally be neccessary but I am used to rigging 1/1200 GHQ Napoleonic ships and use the same fine wire for them too. The only thing I need now is a painting guide and some clear rod to mount the model. To summ up I would say the model is well worth the money and is of good quality and will look great on the tabletop. Score= 8/10

Doug
09-22-2009, 18:15
Realy like both models they look very good. Doug

usmc1855
09-22-2009, 18:40
The only thing I need now is a painting guide and some clear rod to mount the model.....

I used the Litko made 6" flight stand, and after experimenting, found that the WoW bases work exceptionally well, as does the Litko 2.5" hexagonal bases.

... I also received two additional Ballons from AIM this past weekend. Still waiitng for the WoW Balloon Busters to be released though..... :)

Potenza
12-22-2009, 01:39
I'm going to have to get a couple of those AIM balloons

KiltedWolf
07-09-2010, 10:04
Hello all,

I purchased one Balloon Busters set, and am extremely happy with it; going to purchase the other one, just to have another painted balloon and rocket equipped plane (the cards won't hurt either). I am also placing an order with AIM for two Drachens, one with Austro-Hungarian decals. My goal is to have 4-6 balloons total for a two sided balloon-busting game on my 6' table (4x6 enough room??).

My question is this: it seems only Skytrex has a winch-equipped truck, as well as some nifty AA guns mounted in trucks; has anyone found the winch truck and AA guns elsewhere? I think the winch truck especially adds more flavor to the balloon scenarios, and would like more. I suppose I could just buy more of the Skytrex models, but compared with AIM the price and shipping are a little more prohibitive.

Also, I notice that AIM is offering telescoping balloon stands and plan on purchasing one. I'll post a review in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,
KW

usmc1855
07-10-2010, 04:55
Hello all,

I purchased one Balloon Busters set, and am extremely happy with it; going to purchase the other one, just to have another painted balloon and rocket equipped plane (the cards won't hurt either). I am also placing an order with AIM for two Drachens, one with Austro-Hungarian decals. My goal is to have 4-6 balloons total for a two sided balloon-busting game on my 6' table (4x6 enough room??).

My question is this: it seems only Skytrex has a winch-equipped truck, as well as some nifty AA guns mounted in trucks; has anyone found the winch truck and AA guns elsewhere? I think the winch truck especially adds more flavor to the balloon scenarios, and would like more. I suppose I could just buy more of the Skytrex models, but compared with AIM the price and shipping are a little more prohibitive.

Also, I notice that AIM is offering telescoping balloon stands and plan on purchasing one. I'll post a review in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,
KW

I was very happy with the Drachens I purchased from AIM. However... they do not come with decals. I ordered a decal sheet from either Skytrex or DOMS decals (I don't recall which).

As far as I know, Skytrex are the only ones offering the Winching, and AAA vehicles. Yes... they are a bit costly, but with no other options, at least none that look as good, I bit the bullet and paid out the cost for shipping, etc. One of these days I hope to afford one of Skytrex's Zeppelins. :D

KiltedWolf
07-10-2010, 09:35
Well Brian, I bit the bullet as well and ordered a drachen from Skytrex, as well as two sets of AA guns. As you said, they have them and they look good so... Shipping wasn't bad at 10 GBP considering the distance. I think the price was reasonable considering the detail of the model and the added winch truck; AIM is certainly less expensive and has telescoping stands, which brings the price comparable to Skytrex; and AIM does have decal sets now -- just spoke with David by e-mail.

All in all I believe both suppliers offer quality products at reasonable prices (not Skytrex's fault that our dollar has devalued). I look forward to purchasing more from them both. :)

Now, not being a modeler, this should prove interesting -- putting these models together and painting them...:confused: Any hints for me Brian on how you got that wonderful patina look to your balloon?

Yeah, if I could stop buying Plano boxes, aircraft, boxed sets, etc. I might be able to one day afford one of Skytrex's zeppelins myself -- they look awesome!:rolleyes:
Cheers,
KW

usmc1855
07-10-2010, 16:48
I'm not a modeler either, though I was an avid Miniatures painter (some 25 or so years ago!)

Both the Skytrex and AIM miniatures are easy to assemble.

For painting, I started with a simple primer coat of gray (spray on) followed by a spray of whatever color I wanted the balloon to be, then I would mix a few colors together to get a drywash color and brush it on with a broad dry brush, and then I did real wet inking of the creases and lines with a real wet watered down black, and followed up again with dry brushing until I was happy. It worked for the AA vehicles as well as the balloons.

Having both the Skytrex Caquot Balloon, and the the Balloons with the Balloon Busters boxed set... I like the Balloon Busters Caquot better. And for the cost, you also get the Nieuport Miniature, and the other items with the boxed set.

The AIM Balloons have no rivals for their Drachen, and are well worth the low cost.

KiltedWolf
07-10-2010, 23:32
Thanks for the painting guide Brian. I'll do my best when my models arrive and post pictures of my attempt.

I too like the boxed set, and the extra plane. With what I am ordering I should have a nice selection, and have my eye on another boxed set; just splurged on Burning Drachens.

Cheers,
KW

usmc1855
07-11-2010, 06:16
I've found that having multiple Balloons, especially with the option between a Caquots and a Drachens (I now have three of each) have really enhanced our game play when we do Balloon Busting missions.

Flying Officer Kyte
07-11-2010, 12:15
[QUOTE=usmc1855;20062]I was very happy with the Drachens I purchased from AIM.
May I ask who AIM are and if they are available in England.
Rob.

KiltedWolf
07-11-2010, 12:42
AIM is Armaments in Miniature, out of New Jersey I believe. I am sure they ship world-wide.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamentsinminiature/home.htm

Cheers,
KW

Flying Officer Kyte
07-11-2010, 14:19
AIM is Armaments in Miniature, out of New Jersey I believe. I am sure they ship world-wide.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamentsinminiature/home.htm

Cheers,
KW

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll check it out.
Rob.

Madboyo
04-27-2011, 04:04
Can someone please confirm the dimensions of the Drachen AIM balloon please.

usmc1855
04-27-2011, 04:57
Dimensions of the actual Model?

Length: 15.75cm
Height of Main Balloon Body: 4cm
Circumference of Main Balloon Body: 13cm

Madboyo
04-27-2011, 09:05
Dimensions of the actual Model?

Length: 15.75cm
Height of Main Balloon Body: 4cm
Circumference of Main Balloon Body: 13cm

Thanks for the prompt reply. Much appreciated.

Is the length including the "tail"? or is it just the main balloon?

usmc1855
04-27-2011, 18:11
Including the 'tail'.

Albert Ross
05-06-2011, 23:26
Just got my AIM Drachen today; wish I had not ordered the stand as well as it's just a resin tile and a car radio antenna with magnetic top. I could not get the thing to work with the magnet and nail supplied and after it fell off the fifth time, ditched the while idea and used a regular flight stand from Litko with a longer peg (plastic tube reinforced with brass tube inside, until I can find some clear rod.) On the base will be a 2mm scale truck representing the cable vehicle, and, if I can find some a couple of AA guns

I am putting together some 3d ground targets for Wings of War and found 2mm gives a better height perspective vs 1/144 aircraft, also it doesn't interfere with base movement. So far, I've found a train, some field guns, cavalry and an armored car that will work http://www.picoarmor.com/pages/product_details.php?pid=1186

MayorJim
05-07-2011, 20:21
Do you have any pics of the balloon with the Litko stand?

Albert Ross
05-07-2011, 22:27
Here you go. You can also see my home made bombing or recon targets - 3mm scale artillery pieces and limbers.

yancey5
05-11-2011, 14:58
Number4, I purchased an AIM Drachen at Cold Wars in March and have yet to assemble it. I purchased a stand with telescoping attenna as well. Thanks for the heads up on the magnet and stand, I'll let you know my success rate when I get mine together and see if I have the same issues.

Albert Ross
05-11-2011, 15:08
I think you need to drill the hole for the nail in the rudder rather than the balloon itself, but even so the whole thing is a delicate balance. Dave at AIM has agreed to take my flight stand back in and give me credit on a second balloon. Good luck with yours!

PilGrim
02-13-2012, 15:21
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm89/Renko1917/Wings%20of%20War/IMAG0137.jpg

Heres my AIM Drachen - still needs rigging

Flying Officer Kyte
02-14-2012, 01:11
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm89/Renko1917/Wings%20of%20War/IMAG0137.jpg

Heres my AIM Drachen - still needs rigging

Coming on very well Ken.
Rob.

PilGrim
02-14-2012, 03:38
Thanks

With hindsight I think I should have painted a white patch under the Iron Cross. I have a Skytrex one on the way so as soon as they are done I will post a side by side shot as a comparison.

PilGrim
02-14-2012, 03:43
I think you need to drill the hole for the nail in the rudder rather than the balloon itself, but even so the whole thing is a delicate balance. Dave at AIM has agreed to take my flight stand back in and give me credit on a second balloon. Good luck with yours!

Sorry I missed this earlier. I had some bother trying to mount the AIM Drachen at first - my original plan was to put a magnet in the mouth of the stabilizer. This was not very good, mainly due to my failure to get a good join between the balloon and the magnet. I decided to revert to just drilling a hole at about the right place in the stabilizer as you can see in my pic. The stand is an old metal coat hanger and the "egg poacher" trick, but will be replaced by a "Gucci" one when I finally manage to get them made.

Flying Officer Kyte
02-14-2012, 10:13
As can be seen from this balloon not all Drachen insignia were standard by any means. Maybe this one was pressed into service before they had time to paint the Iron Cross on the surround. Some had no insignia at all, so I would not worry too much about yours. If anyone asks, just tell them that it was due to exigencies of the service.
Rob.

Marechallannes
02-14-2012, 10:27
Ken, your baloon looks great!:clap:

csadn
02-14-2012, 12:35
As can be seen from this balloon not all Drachen insignia were standard by any means. Maybe this one was pressed into service before they had time to paint the Iron Cross on the surround.

Nah -- they just didn't feel a need to highlight the "SHOOT HERE" label.... :)

Mike W
02-15-2012, 15:35
These are a few pictures of the assembled and painted Drachen (pictured above in it's un-assembled form).

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=543

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=546

And here is an image of the Skytrex made Ae800/Caquot Baloon:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=549

And here are the two balloons together:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=548

What play surface are you playing with in these photos?

gully_raker
02-15-2012, 19:48
:thumbsup: The Skytrex Drachen being made from foam is so light you do not need a large base.
I have mine undercoated & painted ready for decals after I get around to rigging it. Just been too "D" busy with Cancon & now visitors from Sydney.:D

Flying Officer Kyte
02-16-2012, 00:39
I made my base the same size a s the original template with the drawing of the balloon on it. It seems to be about right and fits in with the bases for the official balloons well.
Rob.

PilGrim
02-16-2012, 04:35
I'm deeply in awe of the rigging on that Drachen. Can you tell me what it is - thread or wire, and how did you do it?

Retief of CDT
02-16-2012, 05:05
... and comes with the wenching vehicle...

Surely the poilus operating the "winching vehicle" would much have preferred to operate a "wenching vehicle"! ;) Hehe

Flying Officer Kyte
02-16-2012, 11:08
Surely the poilus operating the "winching vehicle" would much have preferred to operate a "wenching vehicle"! ;) Hehe

:salute:Welcome to the Drome Nathan.
Did you remember to sign in on the Report for Duty Forum?
Rob.

usmc1855
02-16-2012, 18:45
I'm deeply in awe of the rigging on that Drachen. Can you tell me what it is - thread or wire, and how did you do it?

They were rigged with wire. Just a little super glue, small gauge wire, and there you have it.

Mike W
02-17-2012, 09:03
What play surface or mat was used in the photos? It looks really good!

usmc1855
02-17-2012, 19:25
What play surface or mat was used in the photos? It looks really good!

Form the U.K.

http://terrainmat.com/

Flying Officer Kyte
02-18-2012, 01:56
Form the U.K.

http://terrainmat.com/

You can see more of the Terrain mat when i post my KoTA AAR. hopefully this weekend.
Rob.