PDA

View Full Version : Defending the Doughnut Factory

ptownhiker
04-28-2012, 14:12
Defending the Doughnut Factory

I had the pleasure last night of introducing Wings of Glory to people at the Friday Game Night group Jodi and I occasionally join. The group is laid back and plays quick set up games. Two guys: Bert and Michael, decided they both wanted to play Germans so I set up a quick game using the coffee table as the board. They would fly one Me 109 each and I would fly a Spitfire and Hurricane against them.

To make things as quick as possible, I stuck to the basic rules with no altitude and had explained to them the rules in about five minutes. We were ready! I had not gone through the maneuver decks, though, after the game I ran at Madicon. My wife Jodi came to the rescue and quickly organized and assembled the decks we needed. The lesson here is to always organize your decks and other Wings of Glory supplies before you arrive at the place you want to play the game.

The scenario was simple: two RAF fighters engage two Luftwaffe fighters. The character of our Friday Night Game group, though, meant that we incorporated the doughnut on the edge of the coffee table as a kind of rallying point for the German (“defend the doughnut factory!”).
:D

Playing on a small game surface, we quickly engaged each other, our planes racing past each other with a quick burst of fire and then turning around to reengage. I had the advantage of being able to coordinate the actions of my fighters. The two Me 109s, being played by separate players who couldn't conference without revealing their plans to me, soon became separated. I never maximized my advantage, however, because Bert flew a wily pattern that prevented me from getting both my planes' fire on him while Michael was turning around his 109 on the other end of the table. We exchanged fire at long range, my Spitfire taking several hits. I then flew my Spitfire into an ill timed Immelmann turn that put me directly in front of Bert's plane at short range. This finished the Spit and it went down in flames.

In the meantime, Michael had brought his 109 around and my Hurricane was left to fight off two planes: Bert's damaged plane and Michael's with barely a scratch. With plenty of twisting and turning, my Hurricane made a good show of it by putting several hits on both the German planes, but it could not avoid the fire of both opponents. The Hurricane was soon trailing smoke and a short range exchange of fire between my plane and Michael's finished off the Hurricane :surrender: while not quite causing enough damage to Michael's 109 to send it crashing.

Results
Luftwaffe victory: two kills, one kill for each player.

The game was a winner. Michael had seen the game played before, but this was his first opportunity to play. Everyone liked the quick mechanics and the game moved at a brisk pace that was suitable to our Friday Night group. The game has approval for future Friday Game Nights.

Marechallannes
04-30-2012, 08:35
That's the way to introduce new players to WoG.

Good AAR, David.:salute: