PDA

View Full Version : Aerodrome Attack

Belis4rius
02-11-2010, 01:37
This is another game I played which was inspired by a KoA scenario.

Two DrI's on the deck, one in the air, two N17's and a Spad XIII zoom in early morning to give the Boche a rude awakening.

I threw a D6 for the two planes on the ground, the score was then halved, odd numbers rounded up, and this represented how many turns it took their pilots to get into the aircraft. A score of 2 meant the aircraft could move on turn 3 etc. The airfield also had two B mg's protecting it.

The French decided to concentrate on the one triplane flying, and the Germans on the ground started to take off fairly quickly, one on turn 2 the other turn 3. I decided any card could be used to get them on the landing strip, as long as they were fully on it at the end, a free turn into the right direction, then it was the usual cards to get aloft. Although my triplanes took some heavy damage they, along with a little help from the mg's, took down all three Frenchies.

The next 'day' we returned the favour, one N17 moved on turn 3 the other on turn 4, obviously too much vin rouge the night before. I decided to ignore the Spad circling the field and hit the guys on the ground. I managed to strafe one as he sped along the runway and got in some good hits on the other beside the hanger. Unluckily for me the Spad had deduced what I was doing and managed to get behind and stay behind one of the triplanes, sending him earthward fairly quickly. As I came back for another run I took more heavy damage and one of my planes burst into flames, I did manage to get one N17 and decided to call it a day and head for home.

A nice little game, however in future I would treat all hits on grounded aircraft as +1, due to the fact that they cannot move and should be more vulnerable than machines flying.

Oberst Hajj
02-11-2010, 02:29
Sounds like a nice variation on the Aerodrome Attack. The random start turn of the grounded planes adds interest to the mission. I would think it would be best for one of the attackers to break off and engage the flying enemy while the other two went for the grounded planes.

Belis4rius
02-11-2010, 03:09
I was wrongly playing on the assumption that the Spad would not be able to manouvre and turn quickly enough to get me on my first pass, I was hoping he would overshoot my formation and then spend time coming back. Unforunately my opponent chose some excellent cards and managed to get four good shots off one after the other. I also picked up some heavy damage cards which didn't help.

Once he had made his original attack he did then have trouble getting back to me when I Immelman'd my boys, but by then the game was up and I slunk away.

sparty
02-13-2010, 09:53
Yeah never underestimate the spad because that immelman in his maneuver deck makes a world of difference. Especially since the turns are a great way get shot down quickly until there are multiple targets or threats flying around to distract someone.