PDA

View Full Version : Bail Out Rules for Wings of War/Glory World War II

RickMartin
04-23-2012, 16:56
Please let me know what you think of these. Our group in Dayton has play tested already but fresh ideas are very welcome. ENJOY!

WINGS OF WAR/GLORY UNOFFICIAL BAIL OUT RULES
WORLD WAR II ERA
Version 1.1
By Rick Martin

3/15/2012, 4/23/2012

When an airplane is destroyed and the pilot/crew wish to bail out, do the following for each pilot or crew member if the airplane is either on the ground or at any altitude.

1) Draw a yellow damage counter per each pilot or crew wishing to bail out.

2) Modify the yellow damage counter number as follows:

+ 2 if the plane exploded, collided with another airplane or the plane is flying at level 1.
+ 1 if the plane is on fire and/or if the crew member or pilot is wounded
- 1 if the plane has an early ejection system

(These modifiers are not cumulative but the highest modifier is always used.)

3) On a 2 or less (modified as above), the bail out succeeded and the pilot or crew member can fly again another day but with a new airplane.

On a 3 or 4, the pilot or crew member did not bail out in time and went down with the plane or, if the plane was on the ground, the pilot or crew member was killed before he could run away from the wreckage.

Oberst Hajj
04-24-2012, 01:18
Sounds reasonable. I would probably not allow bail outs if shot down with an explosion counter.

Grey Knight
04-24-2012, 05:22
No time to get out if plane goes boom,other than that sounds good

Carl_Brisgamer
04-24-2012, 08:25
Please let me know what you think of these. Our group in Dayton has play tested already but fresh ideas are very welcome. ENJOY!

WINGS OF WAR/GLORY UNOFFICIAL BAIL OUT RULES
WORLD WAR II ERA
Version 1.1
By Rick Martin

3/15/2012, 4/23/2012

When an airplane is destroyed and the pilot/crew wish to bail out, do the following for each pilot or crew member if the airplane is either on the ground or at any altitude.

1) Draw a yellow damage counter per each pilot or crew wishing to bail out.

2) Modify the yellow damage counter number as follows:

+ 2 if the plane exploded, collided with another airplane or the plane is flying at level 1.
+ 1 if the plane is on fire and/or if the crew member or pilot is wounded
- 1 if the plane has an early ejection system

(These modifiers are not cumulative but the highest modifier is always used.)

3) On a 2 or less (modified as above), the bail out succeeded and the pilot or crew member can fly again another day but with a new airplane.

On a 3 or 4, the pilot or crew member did not bail out in time and went down with the plane or, if the plane was on the ground, the pilot or crew member was killed before he could run away from the wreckage.

I have to agree with Herr Oberst and Grey Knight regarding the explosion damage chit, but I do like your modifiers. To make it a little less deadly you could say that on a score of 3 your pilot is wounded and has to miss X number of missions, particularly if you are running a campaign.

Cheers,

Carl.

sirosis o liver
04-24-2012, 09:43
they sound good to me

Lord_Ninja
04-24-2012, 13:09
I do like your system but agreeing with Oberst And Grey with the explosion and Carl does bring up a good point about having the crew wounded on certain chits. Otherwise it looks like a great way to help you survive in long campaigns.

RickMartin
04-24-2012, 17:05
In defense of bailing out when "Mr. Explody" is pulled, I would have to say that even if it says a plane explodes, it still leaves time to bail out if you are lucky. An explosion may not be all at once but may be made up of small fires and structural failing with an explosion occurring within 30 to 45 seconds. If the plane blows up, the modifier still makes it difficult to bail out but the chances of surviving become even more unlikely. I do like the rules for pilots sitting out missions though.

Carl_Brisgamer
04-25-2012, 18:20
In defense of bailing out when "Mr. Explody" is pulled, I would have to say that even if it says a plane explodes, it still leaves time to bail out if you are lucky. An explosion may not be all at once but may be made up of small fires and structural failing with an explosion occurring within 30 to 45 seconds. If the plane blows up, the modifier still makes it difficult to bail out but the chances of surviving become even more unlikely. I do like the rules for pilots sitting out missions though.

I have always seen the explosion card as the lucky hit that causes the aircraft to explode or break up in the air at that instant. Reaching 0 damage points covers all other outcomes, which allow the pilot to jump clear. Of course it is not fun for the player who pulls the chit!