PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Campaign Idea

sparty
02-09-2010, 10:41
So I have an idea that was sparked in another thread that basically runs like this.

Instead of a campaign being a series of events held over multiple nights, why not a series of sorties held in a single night that has implications on future nights?

Here's the basic premise:

Each night there is a unique board setup.
The board will feature many different elements each worth a variety of victory points.

Example: The board might have 4 archie emplacements and 3 AA-MG emplacements per side. Each emplacement being worth 1 point if destroyed. Along with that there could be 1 observation balloon per side worth 10 points if it's destroyed.

Each side would have a finite number of planes for the entire evening
Each side would roll to see who the attacker and who the defender is for the sortie.
The attacker could then pick the mission type and objective secretly. The attacker then sets up the planes they're going to use for the mission.
The defender then sets up accordingly.
The mission is played and once it is completed or failed the attacker reveals the mission and the points earned are calculated.
Then the dice are rolled again to determine attacker/defender. Attackers can, after their first attacking sortie choose to pass and be the defender one time.
Planes that are shot down can be left on the board and for 1 mission the attacker can have a mission to rescue the downed pilot which will give that team 1 extra plane back for the evening.
This would continue until the number of sorties your group has time for are completed. The board, however stays the same throughout the evening.

Example: If on mission 1 the attackers decide to knock down 3 AA emplacements they would be gone for the remainder of the evening. Once planes are destroyed they're gone for the rest of the evening. So if you fly say 6 out of the 10 alloted planes for the evening and you lose all 6...you have 4 planes for the rest of the evening.

At the end of the night the area of operations will look pretty beat up from the constant combat and the decisions will matter since they'll affect the final scores and ultimately the campaign scores.

Cruthers
02-09-2010, 15:13
I like the idea of the mission being a secret from the opposing players.

I'm currently fleshing out an idea for several missions each of which affects future missions. Hope to post a PDF of it here in the near future.

sparty
02-09-2010, 15:17
That'll be cool to see. Once I get a better feel for the first campaign I'm writing and get it playtested I'll probably turn my attention to fleshing out some campaign stuff for WoW.

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Jythier
02-21-2010, 20:27
I love the idea of a mini-campaign! I'm working on one where there would be three 'locations', one airbase for each team and a central no-man's land. Basically the first mission is to gain air superiority over the center. Second mission, press an attack on the enemy airfield. Then go back and forth until one team destroys the three targets at the enemy base (bombing). Also have ground defenses which can be strafed, and planes get better as the campaign goes on.

mysticned
06-10-2010, 05:00
I also like the idea of keeping the mission secret.

During the war both sides regularly flew combat patrols whilst occasionally having more interesting things to do (rescueing downed pilots etc). Pilots were also called in to straffe trenches before an advance or protect other planes that were conducting reconisence.

The only indication as to what the other side were doing was their activities in the air.

My idea is to set the board up with AA guns, a downed pilot, a balloon or two and anything else and have each side take a card with a mission on it. Points can be awarded for shooting up ground targets, planes or balloons but additional points will be rewarded for completing the mission or stopping an opponent completing their mission.

The idea is that you have both sides going about their buisiness in the same airspace as their opponents not knowing that the other lot are doing but knowing they need to stop it and help their own side.

Numbers of different types of cards can be increased for different stages of campaigns and if you wish you can have one side simply trying to defend what their opponent is doing (you're on the back foot in the war and just want to spoil the other lot rather then go on the offensive).

Oberst Hajj
06-10-2010, 22:22
Hidden missions are a good idea. I'll have to put some thought into this as well.

Bixby
06-11-2010, 07:37
*subscribing to this thread to keep on top of the awesomeness*

Good stuff.

guzzoid
06-11-2010, 17:28
*subscribing to this thread to keep on top of the awesomeness*

Good stuff.

It is so awesome I am going blind from overexposure to PURE AWESOMENESS!!!!!!

Flying Officer Kyte
06-12-2010, 08:12
This is looking good. It will add that extra dimension to the game, when the old hands get jaded with just another mission to smite the enemy , they have to stop an unexpected op whilst carrying out their own mission. Great.
Rob.

Algynon
06-12-2010, 09:32
Oh my word!!! my mind is boggled....Cool idea or what.

mysticned
06-15-2010, 05:03
I have some friends together this weekend so hope to test the 'both sides attempt a mission at the same time' dynamic.

I'm thinking 2 players a side each controlling a flight of 3 planes, a conversation is allowed prior to the mission to organise tactics (pre mission briefing) but from then it's no talking about tactice through the mission (although I suspect we'll try with and without this rule). I'm also thinking of a 3 player game with 2 allied players flying flights of 3 as above whilst the axis planes are controlled by a single player with six machines.

Goering Ace
07-15-2010, 09:20
Great idea, Kieth!! I also love the idea of the mission being kept secret. Ads a cool new element to the game. Man, I love this site!!

Scott

Flying Officer Kyte
07-15-2010, 11:00
I'm also thinking of a 3 player game with 2 allied players flying flights of 3 as above whilst the axis planes are controlled by a single player with six machines.

Let me know how you get on at the weekend. Do you think one person can control six machines without slowing the game down too much?
Rob.

HardRock
01-17-2011, 16:44
I like this idea.

We've had players controlling three planes at one time. I'm pretty sure some of us could handle six, but the social aspect would suffer. If we can't trash talk each other, sigh.

MayorJim
01-21-2011, 18:02
I like this idea.

We've had players controlling three planes at one time. I'm pretty sure some of us could handle six, but the social aspect would suffer. If we can't trash talk each other, sigh.

Trash talk is good...especially with "drinkies"...half (2/3 ?) of the fun of playing is the social aspect...IMHO

sparty
03-16-2011, 12:49
Has anyone given this a shot yet? I'm curious to hear how it went. I'm going to try to get an event like this going locally at some point in the near future.

gully_raker
03-16-2011, 20:19
I like the idea of this & we will try it out next games night when COLFINN is back in the loop. He ownes the Mats.
He has visitors over from the UK at present & they dont play!
Mind you he is twisting the chaps arm somewhat.

Flying Officer Kyte
03-17-2011, 02:11
I like the idea of this & we will try it out next games night when COLFINN is back in the loop. He ownes the Mats.
He has visitors over from the UK at present & they dont play!
Mind you he is twisting the chaps arm somewhat.

Good man, I could use some more pilots back here.
Rob.

Hunter
05-11-2011, 02:57
I know I'm late to this thread, but Sparty had a great idea. Did you, Keith, or anyone else try this out? How'd it go? You know, your picture looks like you could be a twin of Frank Luke. Have you heard of him? ;-)

Madboyo
05-11-2011, 05:44
I love the idea of secret missions nd have been thinking about making a set of mission cards for some time now. The idea is that each side takes a card in secret and at the end of the sortie gets bonuses accordingly. Like the idea of those impacting the next sortie as well.

Cruthers
07-12-2011, 14:53
Sorry, been tied up a while. Haven't implemented secret missions, but have just uploaded the campaign I came up with in PDF format (although it's awaiting approval). The campaign is designed for fun only and does not pertain to be historically accurate in any way shape or form. It is intended for a group of approx. 6 players and designed to take 9 sessions of play, with mission successes or failures affecting the performance of subsequent missions.

Okie
07-12-2011, 20:17
This really sounds good!! I would love to get in on it also if thats cool. :) :D ;) Okie

Cruthers
07-13-2011, 01:41
File now available here (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=850)

Linz
07-14-2011, 15:10
I'm thinking of making up mission cards one set for each side. The cards would state mission and sometimes which aircraft you are to use. You start the game with aircraft cards face down so opposing player has no idea of what you are flying after turn one you reveal your aircraft.
Linz