PDA

View Full Version : Contact!

Wardrobe Hudson
04-23-2012, 11:39
Hello to everyone from a new pilot in Northumbria.

Just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself. I've been fascinated by WWI fighter pilots since I was eleven when I "borrowed" a book my Dad had taken out of our library on MvR, though with my Grandad and Uncle in the RAF my interest in "planes" goes back as long as I can remember. Perhaps like many of you I grew up on plastic model kits first learning how to construct them on evenings and weekends with my Dad.

I left the aircraft kits behind in my early teens and staggered in to wargames and the first home computers - I'm sure I spent hours trying to land some sort of aircraft on a ZX-Spectrum flight sim using only the rubber keys. Whilst the technology has improved, WWI and WWII flight games are the only ones that grab my attention (jets? too many buttons man!).

Five years ago, I took a real flight in to the unknown and became a Dad myself and a year or so ago I had a yearning to build a kit again for my son. I still had enamels from the 1980's that were/are fine, all housed in a wooden box that my Dad made from scrap wood and that is covered with twenty five year old graffiti and paint stains from the days when my brother and myself were regularly building kits. Like a chip off the old block my son has taken to them in a big way... perhaps too interested - there can't be too many five year olds who can recognise a Fokker Dr.I, an Albatros, a Sopwith Camel as well as a Hurricane, Heinkel 111 and Spitfire and knows who Barnes Wallis is. Living near Hadrian's wall, he's also Roman mad and will give you a mini lecture on lorica-segmentata. His mother blames me... and she's right!

Anyway, until last December I had never come across WoW, having been away from boardgames and wargaming for a while. Despite being in my forties now, I was thrilled to find it and bought the Deluxe Set (with German rules) to give to my son from Santa. When I finally got a copy of the rules I decided even the basic game was probably beyond the capacity of a five year old. So I decided to keep it for myself (and I know what you're all going to say - I bought it for myself - honestly, I didn't, I think, yr honour). Luckily, my partner is a board game fanatic and soon became hooked (and I still haven't beaten her... she's a better pilot than me).

The inevitable happened. My son spotted the game, and was intrigued. So we sat him down and had a game. It took him no more than half an hour to get it and his face when a lucky shot from his Fokker Dr.I exploded my Camel was a picture!

So today I ended up here whilst looking for an answer to the difference between red and green "guns jammed" cards - and what a wonderful place the Aerodrome is...

... the only real problem is, you've now got me very tempted to start building in 1/144 scale... and I already have a large back log of other aircraft to build - as well as a 1/72 reconstruction of Vindolanda Roma Fort (but that's another story).

Sorry if that's a bit long for a hello.

Best wishes

Dale (aka Wardrobe Hudson)

Attila57
04-23-2012, 11:59
Welcome from Italy, Dale. Welcome from Rome (I was born there and I live nearby from about seventeen years) where lived the founders of Vindolanda (thanks to help me to discover this ancient roman town). I hope to see some photos of you reconstruction of the fort.

Attilio

Strangely Brown
04-23-2012, 12:12
Funny how History has a way of repeating itself.... it's seems to be less of a line and more of a series of overlapping loops.

Welcome to the Aerodrome! We look forward to your future postings.

Quick, to the bar before Kyte collars you for a round! :pint:

sirosis o liver
04-23-2012, 12:13
welcome to the drome make sure to visit the bar :pint:

somaliavet
04-23-2012, 12:41
Howdy from Kansas, Dale (and family)!

Nightbomber
04-23-2012, 12:47
Welcome form Poland, Dale! I like your story:thumbsup: You fit this cameraderie very well I suppose;) Join us for a drink or two in the mess and keep posting:)
By the way: I run many WoG games with kids and these games are always great events!

flash
04-23-2012, 12:55
Welcome to the 'drome Dale from a soggy Sussex today - wives & children, as you will soon find, are ruthless is the skies !

flash
04-23-2012, 12:59
Welcome to the 'drome Dale from a soggy Sussex today - wives & children, as you will soon find, are ruthless is the skies ! If you want the answer to your question still - look here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?2748-Please-explain-gun-jam-cards&highlight=jammed

Green Goblin
04-23-2012, 13:25
Hi Dale welcome from a rather soggy Cornwall although it looks like the weather may improve tomorrow.
Like you I started with Airfix kits a long time ago and have recently got back into wargaming, modeling and an all round interest in things military. I also got my two sons into the hobby at an early age although they're dads themselves now.
Great to have you aboard and if you're ever down in Cornwall look us up if you fancy a flight on the Wizards & Warlords games club website where you'll be more than welcome.
Happy Landings ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
04-23-2012, 14:08
Hi again Dale. I can now welcome you formally on behalf of the rest of the pilots here in Dear old Blighty.
Enjoy your Wings experience, and feel free to join the chaps in the Officers' Mess for a pint and a chinwag.
Rob.

bsmith13
04-23-2012, 21:25
Welcome to the site, Dale!

BarryH
04-24-2012, 01:06
Another welcome to the forum from Cornwall Dale... Glad to report that the skies have cleared and the sun is out, a perfect day for flying!

That brought back a few memories for me, I've been in and out of wargaming and role-playing for too many years to count! Not too mention a youth filled with model planes and early computer flight sims on the Spectrum and Commodore 64 :-)

Boney10
04-24-2012, 01:14
Another welcome to you Dale, from Bristol, see you in the mess

CappyTom
04-24-2012, 02:43
Welcome back to gaming and bringing your son along as well. Glad you found us, enjoy.

Thomas

Grey Knight
04-24-2012, 05:17
Welcome from Florida,enjoy

wargamer
04-24-2012, 09:11
Welcome from Pensacola, Florida!

Willi Von Klugermann
04-24-2012, 10:10
Welcome aboard.

Archidamus
04-24-2012, 11:09
Hello and welcome to the 'drome from here in Kent Dale :salute:

Naharaht
04-25-2012, 05:33
Welcome to the Aerodrome, Dale, from here in Norwich.

WizardsWarlords
05-01-2012, 13:00
Welcome to the community Dale.
I've grown rather fond of the 1/144 scale recently, best of luck with your building if you do decide to go forward with that. Do share some of your creations if you do got forward with it.

Andrew.

Old Navy
05-01-2012, 14:11
(and I know what you're all going to say - I bought it for myself - honestly, I didn't, I think, yr honour)

That sounds familiar. When I was born my Dad went right out and bought me a Lionel train set.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy.

Jim

Tommy Z
05-01-2012, 17:54
Welcome from Columbus, Ohio! :pint:

gully_raker
05-01-2012, 18:10
:thumbsup: G'day Dale & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
Glad you found your way to land here & I am sure you will love the game & your future visits.;)

Bluedevil
05-02-2012, 02:59
Welcome from Belgium!:thumbsup:

grumpybear
05-02-2012, 04:16
Hi from Alberta