PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl Commercials

afilter
02-08-2010, 06:59
So, I am surprised there is no discussion on the commericals yet as there is on many other news sites.

The funniest thing about the commercials to me.....

We were at my parents and my mom had made chili(awesome)...snacks were allowed in the living room, but no chili for obvious reasons with kids. When it came time to eat we took turns and everyone would go out and eat during the game and then run back in when it was annouced "commercial" like a herd. :)

Commercials as a whole for me were a bit of a let down after all the hype. Last year I did not get to see them as I watched the game on Armed forces network and they cannot air commercials.

Most memorable for me were:
1. Favre indecison
2. Little kid doritos 2 rules
3. Bridgestone "life not wife"
4. Doritos Samurai
5. Snickers-Betty White

I was expecting some great Budweiser commercials and for the most part...Hmmm OK, but not so great

Any that stick out for you?

Oberst Hajj
02-08-2010, 07:16
I liked the Dodge Charger one as well as the others you listed. I agree that the Bud ones sucked for the most part.

The Blue Baron
02-08-2010, 07:50
German television - no US commercials...:mad:

afilter
02-08-2010, 08:09
German television - no US commercials...:mad:

You did not miss alot this year.....you can see them here as well:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10-best-Super-Bowl-commercials-0207210?GT1=39002

You can see all of them if you go by Quarter.

The one that I forgot to mention that probably received the biggest laugh was the Sumo wrestler sitting on that poosr little guy. :)

BTW, IMO for the most part European commercials are way better than U.S. commercials ....they can definately show stuff that would never get past the FCC here. ;)

sparty
02-08-2010, 08:56
The Favre one is classic. The Sears ones that are a variation on that theme are so-so, but the whole football MVP thing is just hilarious.

Prakti
02-08-2010, 08:59
Let me get this straight: You don't watch the game? You watch the commercials? What's so special about those commercials?

In general I avoid commercials like hell. They are annoying, too loud and distract from what I want to watch at that moment. But maybe that's just me.
:confused: Or maybe just german commercials are that crappy.

Any hints?

Best regards.

sparty
02-08-2010, 09:04
It's a bit of a tradition in the US now that since the commerical spots are so expensive companies make incredibly overproduced commercials for the Super Bowl.

I never find them all that great, but I know it's a huge topic around the office today.

I always find it funny that the Super Bowl, which features these incredibly trained and conditioned athletes is filled with commercials for Doritos and Beer...which make you fat and unable to play the very thing you're watching!

Pseudotheist
02-08-2010, 09:32
I never find them all that great, but I know it's a huge topic around the office today.
I think it's been about a decade since the commercials really lived up to the hype. But the tradition continues, and at least there's still a couple companies who try to deliver. In particular, I'll note that Doritos actually has a contest for Super Bowl commercial submissions, which is how they got so many original commercials.

sparty
02-08-2010, 10:53
Since Doritos been running that contest 2 of the commercials have been from people in my area. It's pretty cool to see the places I know in them.

Scoop
02-08-2010, 12:08
Saw it on German TV as well - no commercials but cheerleaders instead ;) - and a messed up the Who concert :(

afilter
02-08-2010, 12:12
......and a messed up the Who concert :(

Yeah, like there music, but sometimes people just do not know when to say enough is enough and hang it up. ;)

sparty
02-08-2010, 12:35
It was REALLY painful to watch Roger Daltry try to squeal his way through Baba O'Riley

Scoop
02-09-2010, 03:31
lol - I mean the transmission was messed up - but you're right as well. I definitely like the who but playing the main themes of csi for the tv station which broadcasts the superbowl is NOT rock and roll, I'm sorry. "There goes the mean superbowl..."

sparty
02-09-2010, 05:03
They should just can the whole Super Bowl halftime show thing and do something better that's unrelated. They never have anyone on there that's relevant (since Paul McCartney). The one time they tried to make it "hip" they had Justin Timerlake and Janet Jackson get everyone in the US up in arms in 2004.