PDA

View Full Version : AB Model Sopwith Triplane 1/144

Dark Horse
04-10-2012, 19:18
I got this model earlier this year from ebay for about $15.00. AB Model is a Czech company, which as far as I can tell, makes an intermittent small range of kits. Apparently they are quite hard to come by. I think that many would consider this a good thing...

Despite the apparent horror :eek: of removing delicate pieces from really chunky resin sprue, it all came away okay. Painting it was straightforward & I carved a Reviresco pilot to fit, bringing lead tears to his little eyes. There were two main problems with the build:

1. Brass etching. I hate brass etching. I can't see the point of it on 1/72 vehicles and that causes me to groan, but on 1/144? All the wing & undercarriage struts were in brass etching as was the axle - a long narrow rectangular flat bit to fold over along its length, of all things! I spent half a day (or so it seemed) trying to get the wing struts correct. They bent every way imaginable being so thin. They had to be glued to the bottom wing, threaded through the middle wing on each side & glued to the top wing - on both sides simultaneously and superglued :mad: This may not have been so bad if there was a clear indication of the centre point for the lower wing attaching to the fuselage but there wasn't - it had to be basically guessed at and super-glued in place. Get it wrong and all the wings & struts are going to be out of line. :mad:

Then came the undercarriage. :confused: I could have attempted the whole process again but I cheated & used a spare set of Reviresco struts, cut brass wire to length for the axle & the original wheels from the kit. The brass etching went into the bin... :thumbsup:

Problem 2: Decals. These were mostly Okay. I think that the serial number is overlarge. The thing I did not notice was that the fuselage roundels were the same size as the wing ones - and really too large for the fuselage. I didn't have smaller ones to hand so moved them further forward along the fuselage to the cockpit to get them to fit. Now the poor pilot is covered by a large target symbol for his enemies to aim at. :surrender:

All in all, an "interesting" experience, one which I will not repeat. No more AB Model kits for me...

I might see if I can take some more pix & add them to my album.

Dark Horse
04-10-2012, 19:20
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the red/white/blue tail flash decal was way too large to, it would more suit a 1/72 model; so I sighed a lot then screwed up the decal and hand painted the tail flash.

pflanzer
04-10-2012, 20:19
You did a great job. Tail flash looks good. Its currious the top of the box indicates 1/72 while the end flaps are marked 1/144.
Tony

Dark Horse
04-10-2012, 23:25
You did a great job. Tail flash looks good. Its currious the top of the box indicates 1/72 while the end flaps are marked 1/144.
Tony

It's like the company could not make its mind up, or maybe they hoped to make one set of decals for 2 scales of triplane.

Dark Horse
04-10-2012, 23:30
Here is another shot of the little beast. I thought about saying "the little IT^&RGYH@**UIOPM(*U!!!! beast" but thought better of it. The underside, with the Reviresco undercarriage struts used to maintain at least some last sheds of sanity.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-11-2012, 00:26
It's a shame about the struts as the kit looks quite good made up. At least the Reviresco one I did came with a card jig to help with the wing positions.
Rob.

petitbilbo
04-11-2012, 02:29
Considering the difficulties, I think you can be very proud of the result!

:salute:

Doug
04-11-2012, 03:05
Good model turned out all right to me.

Grey Knight
04-11-2012, 06:57
the end results look great,nice job

Baldrick62
04-11-2012, 14:35
DH,
A very nice rendition. I can't make out the aircraft serial from your photos, and have never seen at Tripehound with a round Sqn (or personal marking) on it: do the instructions give any indication of its identity?
BofB

john snelling
04-11-2012, 14:51
The tripe really came out nice. It looks alot better than some of the Shapeways models.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-11-2012, 23:50
DH,
A very nice rendition. I can't make out the aircraft serial from your photos, and have never seen at Tripehound with a round Sqn (or personal marking) on it: do the instructions give any indication of its identity?
BofB
The only Tripe that I know of with a round white patch like that is N5421 of No 8 Naval Sq. Summer 17. Name on the plane "High Jinks" The disc marking was the Squadron marking at this time.
Rob.

Archidamus
04-12-2012, 02:53
Nice job on the Tripe Nigel - looks really good. Kit sounds a bit of a pig though

Guntruck
04-12-2012, 03:33
It looks like it was worth persevering with as it produced a nice looking model. Now you have done 'Resin 101' you can move up to SRAM models and all the 'fun' they bring to 1/144 :D

Baldrick62
04-12-2012, 12:06
The only Tripe that I know of with a round white patch like that is N5421 of No 8 Naval Sq. Summer 17. Name on the plane "High Jinks" The disc marking was the Squadron marking at this time.
Rob.

Thanks, I hadn't NB'd that Naval 8 was still flying Tripes when they were allocated the white disc in late Aug 17; apparently they gave up the last of them in early Sep 17, so there certainly was an overlap. I hadn't considered a mixed Camel/Tripe formation for Naval 8 before!

Dark Horse
04-12-2012, 18:20
It looks like it was worth persevering with as it produced a nice looking model. Now you have done 'Resin 101' you can move up to SRAM models and all the 'fun' they bring to 1/144 :D

I bought an SRAM Fokker DR1 - Jacobs, at the same time as the Sopwith but for twice the price. Having built the Sopwith & then looked again at the SRAM undercarriage to be constructed out of individual bits of brass wire, I chickened out. Life is too short. I sold on the Fokker at a loss...

Dark Horse
04-12-2012, 18:28
Thanks, I hadn't NB'd that Naval 8 was still flying Tripes when they were allocated the white disc in late Aug 17; apparently they gave up the last of them in early Sep 17, so there certainly was an overlap. I hadn't considered a mixed Camel/Tripe formation for Naval 8 before!

Yes the serial number on the Tripe is N5421, with the white disc. There was no "High Jinks" decal in the kit. I have included a couple of pix I found on the net. I had some difficulty with my side profile photos, they all came out blurry but I might try again.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-13-2012, 11:31
Only glad to have been of service Nigel.
Rob.

Dark Horse
04-17-2012, 18:54
Here is another shot of the little beast. I thought about saying "the little IT^&RGYH@**UIOPM(*U!!!! beast" but thought better of it. The underside, with the Reviresco undercarriage struts used to maintain at least some last sheds of sanity.

Took some more pix from different angles, since the feedback from the membership has been so encouraging. You can clearly see the white disc of Naval 8 squadron, and the over-large fuselage roundels.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-18-2012, 00:27
Don't worry Nigel. You made a silk purse out of a sow's ear there. There arn't many models worse than that one to do.
Rob.

Dark Horse
04-18-2012, 02:40
Nice job on the Tripe Nigel - looks really good. Kit sounds a bit of a pig though

It was such a pig that it oinked at me throughout the construction!

Dark Horse
04-18-2012, 02:42
Don't worry Nigel. You made a silk purse out of a sow's ear there. There arn't many models worse than that one to do.
Rob.

I DO hope that you are so completely right about this!

Shiraz68
04-27-2012, 01:46
Your efforts were not in vain - it looks outstanding.

Dark Horse
04-27-2012, 18:21
Your efforts were not in vain - it looks outstanding.

Thanks Adie, it was not so much the effort I resented as the time expended.