PDA

View Full Version : Feedback for Richard Bradley

Watchdog
03-22-2012, 02:28
This thread is dedicated to any feedback we can have for the author of the solo rules, Richard Bradley, including proposed modifications, glitches/bugs, possible exploits, whatever comes into your mind regarding the solo rules.

What comes into my mind as far as additional rules proposals are concerned:

the rules for AI planes that are supposed to perform some special task, such as recon, bombing, landing...
the rules for AI planes that suffer engine damage/rudder jams/pilot wounded

And some feedback:
In mission one for Central Powers I encountered a bug in my AI pilot's behaviour, since the Entente opposition had their course set straight for the village and my AI pilot reacted to the enemy being in his frontal arc by going way past them and then either doing an Immelmann or turning around quite slowly, as he expected the enemy to manoeuver in such a way as to get him into their sights. My AI pilot did not participate in the actual dogfight too much, especially in the first turns. This could be countered somehow by an advanced table of manoeuvres, taking the enemy's facing into consideration.

There already are some such tables for A,B,C,D,H and P decks by Richard Bradley, but they take into consideration not just closing/facing away but also sides of the planes and also nearing the game board's edge. The originally simple tables are getting complicated, but maybe this is inevitable to some extent for anything but a simple dogfight.

Blackronin
03-22-2012, 11:43
Jan:

Try the new tables with Closing/Moving away rules.

Watchdog
03-22-2012, 13:06
Jan:

Try the new tables with Closing/Moving away rules.

Joaquim, the purpose of this thread is to have these things in ONE thread, to form feedback for Richard Bradley, not spread around all the threads in this subsection or in house rules section fragmented into bits of useful information.

This thread should be used to be the place where all the ideas and information we want Richard to see should be posted, changes proposed and so on.

I am aware of the new rules, but they should be placed here, rather than spread all over the Aerodrome. ;)

Blackronin
03-22-2012, 13:21
They are in the WW1 House Rules, where they also belong! :) But I'll upload them also here.

Blackronin
03-22-2012, 13:34
For some time now, I've been playing extensively with Richard Bradley solo rules. I've made some minor changes of my own, using a Table for the rolls of 1 and 6 in the die to give more options to the AI plane as to make it less predictable and more aggressive.

This is the table I use and that I inserted in the new Manuever tables:

Die Roll: --------- 1 --------------------------- 6 --------
1/12 Stall/Straight/Stall --------- Straight/Straight/Loop
2/3 Hard Turn R./Stall/Hard Turn R. -- Straight/Straight/Loop
5/4 Straight/Loop/Straight -------- Straight/Loop/Straight
6/7 ---------------------- No changes ----------------------
8/9 Straight/Loop/Straight -------- Straight/Loop/Straight
10/11 Hard Turn L./Stall/Hard Turn L. -- Straight/Straight/Loop

But recently, as I had to adjust some of the results given by my table to the AI plane, I start considering that just rolling on the sector wasn't enough. The facing of the enemy plane was as important as the sector where he was. But I didn't want to complicate matter to a degree that it was boring and took a lot of time to make the AI maneuver. So I came with the simple idea of Sector plus Closing/Moving Away permutations.

These are the Deck maneuver card for decks A/B/S, C, D, E/I, F/N, G, H/K, J, L, M, N, O, P and Q. The N specially for my friend an pilot F. O. Kyte. ;)

(I'm sorry for the low quality. But I wanted some of you to try them out before I - or someone better than me in this - make a good quality table.

DECK A & B & S
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38046&d=1333151112

DECK C
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38061&d=1333152294

DECK D
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38062&d=1333152316

DECK E & I
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38047&d=1333151133

DECK F & N
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38048&d=1333151157

DECK G
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38063&d=1333152337

DECK H & K
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38058&d=1333151523

DECK J
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38064&d=1333152361

DECK L
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38049&d=1333151177

DECK M
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38050&d=1333151199

DECK O
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38051&d=1333151222

DECK P
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38060&d=1333151570

DECK Q
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38052&d=1333151243

tikkifriend
03-23-2012, 05:46
Do you want us to use these cards for the next mission Quim?

Flying Officer Kyte
03-23-2012, 06:06
I just tried them out with my early war buses and am most impressed.
I will post a full AAR later.
Rob.

Blackronin
03-23-2012, 13:15
Yes, I would, my friends.

Thanks, Rob!

Blackronin
03-30-2012, 17:18
All decks re-uploaded and then some more :)

Herkybird
04-01-2012, 13:02
Hi there!

The only error in the tables here that I can see is that an immelmann must be preceeded - and followed - by a long straight. I found this out from Andrea, the WofW designer.
The solo system gives the advantage of not recording damage to the AI to help rebalance the game. It also makes record keeping simpler!
The solo system IS inferior to a real player, if anyone else can make a playable system that is able to match an experienced player I bow in humble homage to them!
Please continue to play around with the basic system, I will watch developments with great interest!
Happy Gaming!

Blackronin
04-01-2012, 13:24
Hi there!

The only error in the tables here that I can see is that an immelmann must be preceeded - and followed - by a long straight. I found this out from Andrea, the WofW designer.
The solo system gives the advantage of not recording damage to the AI to help rebalance the game. It also makes record keeping simpler!
The solo system IS inferior to a real player, if anyone else can make a playable system that is able to match an experienced player I bow in humble homage to them!
Please continue to play around with the basic system, I will watch developments with great interest!
Happy Gaming!

In the charts I've altered from yours, I thought that the possibility of using an immelmann that ended in the next turn would give a wider choice to the AI and made it less predctable. That's why I used as the last maneuver of a maneuver order with an immelmann. The next manuever order must always start with a straight manuever followed by the next two maneuvers rolled in the chart and losing the last one, if the first maneuver isn't already a straight or the pilot isn't an ace with the proper ace ability.

As for damage, I use all the special damage. It adds colour and interest to the game.

Tiger73
05-28-2012, 07:29
Blackronin,
Any chance we'll see your solo system cards with improved graphics in the near future? IMO they
build on Richard's outstanding original concept. I would like to make enlarged copies for my gaming group.

Nightbomber
05-28-2012, 07:32
Jerry, as far as I know, Blackronin is quite busy these days. Neverthless, I printed the tables as they are (from Blakronin's albums) - they look pretty fine and are usable...:)

Blackronin
05-28-2012, 08:53
Thanks, Andrzej for covering my back! As soon as I have time, I'll do that.

One more thing, your present returned to me. I'm sending it again tomorrow. Bad, bad postal services!! But at least it wasn't lost. It's one of a kind...

Nightbomber
05-28-2012, 08:59
I'm very sorry for that (another cost!)! Arrghhh. It was not beacuse I didn't take it form a post office or something. It didn't reach my post probably... Strange!

Herkybird
05-28-2012, 12:08
Hi Guys!

Been following the conversation, I have managed to reduce my original card icons so they will fit on an A4 piece of paper (portrait).
I will have a try at doing Blackronins version if you want when I get time?

The icons have to be quite small (1.43cm x 0.9cm), but even altering the page borders at this size they only just fit!

Watchdog
05-28-2012, 12:14
Sure, Richard, if you have time to do it, Blackronin's version would be great in an "official" format. :)

Herkybird
05-28-2012, 12:25
I may have a try at one then, and see how that flies (intentional pun!) and will try to upload it onto the Aerodrome site when I have done so. It is the most difficult part of doing these charts doing the first one, as you are trying to format the page optimally, so it may take a day or two to do.

Please be patient though!:fixit:

Flying Officer Kyte
05-28-2012, 12:31
I may have a try at one then, and see how that flies (intentional pun!) and will try to upload it onto the Aerodrome site when I have done so. It is the most difficult part of doing these charts doing the first one, as you are trying to format the page optimally, so it may take a day or two to do.

Please be patient though!:fixit:

That will be great if you can produce them for us all. With my poor eye sight I need things as clear as I can get them, but your outstanding graphics can easily be enlarged for me to read, as I did with your originals.
Thanks.
Rob.

Herkybird
05-28-2012, 12:43
Hi again, I havent reduced icon size before now as I am also losing the eyesight accuity of my youth!. I sympathise!
I will be interested to see if the Approx 60% sized icons are playable for most people. But I will try to set up a template tonight so if it does prove useable, I can do the other charts too.
I hope Blackronin is ok with me doing this, I am assuming from his earlier post (above) - that he will be! :pray:

Watchdog
05-28-2012, 13:22
No worries Richard, I am absolutely certain Joaquim is going to appreciate it.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-28-2012, 14:17
I am also sure that he will be only too pleased that you are doing this.
He is a very sharing type of person, and will feel as do we all that we should be in your debt for allowqing us to use and then alter your work in the first place.
Rob.

Herkybird
05-28-2012, 14:24
Be careful! - I may start getting delusions of adequacy with all this praise!!! :D

Tiger73
05-28-2012, 20:29
Richard,
Many thanks! I look foward to your posting it. IMO your solo system is one of the more significiant
play aids for WoW yet offered. It is most useful for solo gamers, but also provides valuable training for novices, even those with face to face opponents.
Jerry

Tiger73
05-28-2012, 20:44
Blackronin,
Also thanks for your prompt reply. I'm certain all of us would appreciate any upgraded rendering of
your innovative charts. This is an excellent community of WoW followers maintained by the Colonel. I marvel as I continue to explore this site and discover additional nuances for this superb game system.
Jerry

Herkybird
05-30-2012, 14:03
Hi fellow pilots!

I have finished a version of Blackronin's A,B and S deck solo rules (see above) - using modified icons from my own original version solo rules.
I have uploaded a PDF onto the Aerodrome WW1 house rules files, and its in for moderation.
If you want a copy to assess for yourself before they appear here, please contact me at: richardbradley5@gmail.com and I will forward this trial file to you direct! :takecover:

Nightbomber
05-30-2012, 14:13
PM sent:)

Redstarny
05-30-2012, 17:53
Email sent. Not sure why though. The other AI rules just shot me down.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-30-2012, 23:14
P.M. on the way Richard.
Thanks.
Rob.

Herkybird
05-31-2012, 11:56
Hi Lang!

I too find the original rules pitched just right for our games, I do agree with those players who find them, shall we say, less than challenging, that a modified version is needed! - I therefore am happy that Blackronin and others are expanding the basic system, so people have a choice of complexity to play with.

There is no system that will fit everyone, lets be honest. Even Wings of Glory is frowned on in some circles!!!, me, I love it! :o

Nightbomber
05-31-2012, 12:14
I got the modified icons drawn by Richard (decks A, B & S) and they are neatly done! Highly recommended.

Marechallannes
05-31-2012, 12:20
Sent you an e-Mail Richard, for the pdf file.

Flying Officer Kyte
06-17-2012, 08:46
Have you guys all received Richards latest offering of the very neatly presented versions of our developed manoeuvre table, or do I need to post them here?
Rob.

tikkifriend
06-17-2012, 08:54
Hi Rob Richards been e mailing me his offerings direct but it would be good to have them as a separate thread for all to see and use

Paul

Blackronin
06-17-2012, 14:17
Hello my friends!
I would be very happy to receive the neatly done card maneuvers. :) :)
It would be a pleasure and an honour.

Ranger
06-17-2012, 14:39
Have you guys all received Richards latest offering of the very neatly presented versions of our developed manoeuvre table, or do I need to post them here?
Rob.

I'd appriciate it if they were posted here, or in the files section :)

Flying Officer Kyte
06-18-2012, 08:42
I will try to get them up before I go away on Leave at the end of the week.
Rob.

Ranger
06-18-2012, 18:47
I will try to get them up before I go away on Leave at the end of the week.
Rob.

Thank you! :pint:

Nightbomber
06-19-2012, 01:13
Rob.

Sir Richard emailed me all the new decks:thumbsup:

Flying Officer Kyte
06-19-2012, 02:04

Flying Officer Kyte
06-19-2012, 02:07

Flying Officer Kyte
06-19-2012, 02:10

Flying Officer Kyte
06-19-2012, 02:14

Flying Officer Kyte
06-19-2012, 02:18

Flying Officer Kyte
06-19-2012, 06:21

Flying Officer Kyte
06-19-2012, 06:26

Flying Officer Kyte
06-19-2012, 06:30
These are the files that Richard has sent to me so far. I will post the rest as soon as he has completed them.
Once again I would like to publicly thank Richard for taking the time to produce these wonderful charts for us.:salute:
Rob.

Marechallannes
06-19-2012, 06:40
Good idea, Rob!:clap:

Recived those per e-Mail from Richard.:thankyou: