PDA

View Full Version : Another possible peg replacement

Rum Demon
02-03-2010, 21:17
A while back I had the idea to use LEGO pegs as a replacement system for WoW. My experiments taught me that it COULD work, but doesn't provide very good stability at higher altitudes.

I pictured in my mind a threaded version of the supplied pegs, but of course those would be too fragile. So how about metal pegs? They'd add some weight, but the overall effect would actually lower the unit's center of gravity a bit...

I did a bit of digging around on the web tonight and came up with this:

http://www.boltproducts.com/documents/lyntron/CatalogA-RoundStandoffsMaleFemale.pdf

Round, 3/8" diameter, 1/2" body. It's the same dimension as the pegs supplied with the minis. One would have to make permanent modifications to the stock or Litco base by re-drilling and tapping threads and/or gluing that first peg into place.

Anyway. I might give this company a call tomorrow and see how much a batch of 20 or so would run me.

-Joe

Oberst Hajj
02-04-2010, 00:07
Not a bad idea. I personally like the clear aspect of the current pegs... it's a visual thing. I guess you could paint these blue or something. Have you thought how it will effect game play since you have to screw on and off pegs to change altitudes?

Rum Demon
02-04-2010, 08:27
Clear is indeed better, and I'm still looking for acrylic male-female standoffs. Even if they're more fragile, they'd most likely be cheaper.

As for screwing them on and off, that's not much of a problem. Right now I spend enough time digging through my pegs to find one that will give a tight fit every time I climb. Then there's the time wasted when the whole thing falls apart as I'm moving it around the board.

I dunno. I like the solid litco rods, too. But I guess you'd need a set of 10-14 for each plane, right? One for each level of altitude.

It's all fun to think about, especially when there's real life work waiting to be done elsewhere.

-Joe

Oberst Hajj
02-05-2010, 00:29
Well, I'm working on a solution to the pegs falling apart thing ;)