PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Starting a Game Group

sparty
02-03-2010, 07:34
So what tips do people have for both getting people interested in the game and sustaining a local game group devoted to the series?

I've done demonstrations for other games (Warmachine) in the past and belong to a very vibrant and well attended boardgame club locally. Their interest is almost exclusively in the Euro games and not in historical wargames.

The closest thing anyone locally is into is RoboRally, but there are obvious differences on the nature of the theme.

Any tips?

Oberst Hajj
02-03-2010, 07:54
To break into the boardgames group, setup a night/day where you can bring in a game to play and ONLY use the cards and not special rules for this first game you play with them. After everyone plays and has a great time, show the minis and only add in the special damage cards. That should be enough to hook anyone that is slightly interested at all.

Volant Gun
02-03-2010, 21:23
Hi Kieth,

I'm holding my first meeting in a hobby store on the 13th. Your suggestion surprised me. Why cards only? I was thinking that the minis would be a key attraction to the game/hobby.

RSVP,
Frank.

Oberst Hajj
02-04-2010, 00:02
Well, if it is a board game group, a lot of them might be anti miniatures by nature. Showing the game as it was initially intended, as a board game, might get more of them to join in. If they also play miniature games, then use the minis.

sparty
02-04-2010, 05:06
I went ahead and plunged in with minis too, but I don't know if I'll bring em as anything more than decoration to the first event in case people are interested.

I did some scouting last night in the area and there are a few players around, but none of the stores have product support for the game which makes it kind of hard to sell to them. Like everywhere else, if it's not collectible by 12 year old kids who have parents with deep pockets stores don't wanna stock it... :rolleyes:

We've had good success with RoboRally, but there's a campy element to that game that gets everyone laughing. Not so sure that, by nature, WoW has that element it to it.

Any tips on teaching? The general consensus is:

1 - Movement Rules
2 - Let people fly and explain how to shoot
3 - When damage happens cover damage
4 - Play with open damage cards so you can explain the basic special damage rules.
5 - Remove the explosion damage card from the deck

Pseudotheist
02-04-2010, 05:43
IAny tips on teaching? The general consensus is:

1 - Movement Rules
2 - Let people fly and explain how to shoot
3 - When damage happens cover damage
4 - Play with open damage cards so you can explain the basic special damage rules.
5 - Remove the explosion damage card from the deck
Drop step 4 and skip special damage entirely for the first game. Get them hooked with how simple it can be, then add in the other stuff like special damage and altitude...

Don't forget to clearly explain the Immelman. I usually start that with something like, "O.k. this is the most convoluted part of the game, but it's only this ONE card..."

sparty
02-04-2010, 11:58
Yeah I wasn't even thinking about the whole immelman special rule, but you're right that is the 1 and only thing so adding on the special damage would definitely be a bit much for the intro game wouldn't it?

Thanks for the responses!

Any other teaching tips out there to help?

Charlie3
02-04-2010, 12:02
I did some scouting last night in the area and there are a few players around, but none of the stores have product support for the game which makes it kind of hard to sell to them. Like everywhere else, if it's not collectible by 12 year old kids who have parents with deep pockets stores don't wanna stock it... :rolleyes:

The Two stores and one public display our group has done demos at have sold completly out! The stores will stock it if they get enough requests for it, and having a supply nearby while playing is the easiest way to sell these planes. $12.00 is easy to part with compaired to the prices on the other gaming stuff. You just need to talk the stores into ordering a one each of the series one planes, they'll go. :cool:

We've had good success with RoboRally, but there's a campy element to that game that gets everyone laughing. Not so sure that, by nature, WoW has that element it to it. OH Contraire!! Our group is very boisterous when we are playing, what with bad foriegn accents, and waiving defiently at the enemy. I'm guessing most of the other groups out there are not much different. The game lends itself well to having a laugh because the game mechanics are simple and don't require a lot of concentration. Beer and Pretzles anyone??;)

Oberst Hajj
02-05-2010, 00:28
Yes, bad accents, sound effects and family friendly hand gestures are all required!

Bixby
02-05-2010, 05:52
A year ago when I introduced this at BixCON, I did a couple of things:

(1) We played a quick team game 3 on 3 to get people used to the mechanic of flying. It went over well.
(2) We followed it up with a game that was a six-plane-every-pilot-for-themself-dogfight. That got lots of laughs and light hearted taunting. :)

In a game club environment, you may want to try:

(A) Some posters in advance and advertise limited seating. Quite often when I organize events, the little line that says first 6 registrants get to play works really well. People tend to eat up stuff that is in limited supply. Human nature I guess.
(B) Offer a cheesy / cheap prize for best pilot or most kills.
(C) Set the tone as light and full of fun taunting with bad accents and taunts. Much of the time, the silly boisterous nature of a game can start with one person.

Good luck. Hope it turns out well!!!

sparty
02-05-2010, 06:06
I really appreciate the feedback on this thread. I'll have to come up with something fun to advertise this sucker. Any tips on initial table sizes, etc?

Bixby
02-05-2010, 06:15
With 6 people we played on a 6' x 4' Playing surface. Good amount of space to allow pilots to explore maneuvers.

Pseudotheist
02-05-2010, 06:16
Any tips on initial table sizes, etc?
Whatever's the biggest table easily available. Makes the point that the game can be played wherever, and doesn't need an exact 4'x4' table or some such. Something along the lines of a standard 4 person restaurant table would be just fine (so long as it's clean). Most fold-out tables are also a good size.

sparty
02-05-2010, 06:49
Yeah the tables at my FLGS are the 6' x 2' style, but they've also got a ton of those Warhammer 4' x 4' felt covered particle baords that can be laid on top of the table if something more symetrical is required.

Pseudotheist
02-05-2010, 07:02
I wouldn't bother with the 4'x4' for an intro night. I'd just play across the width of the table. In fact, unless you get a very large showing, I'd probably cut the play area down to 3'-4', to keep the players together and speed up the game. You may want to do a dry run, just to double-check that 2' is wide enough to account for turn radii, but off the top of my head, I think it'll be fine.

Now, once you get a group, and start running missions, THEN break out the 4'x4' tables to add some depth to your scenarios.

Belis4rius
02-05-2010, 07:51
Good luck to you. I have advertised in a wargame magazine, put a poster up in my shop and wrote a piece for the local village magazine, so far I have had zero enquiries. I did offer some of the lads who work for me a 'games' night and this has garnered three players, but they are not like you or me, they play but the game ends when the door closes. Not me.

I was thinking of getting in on a hobby exhibition at the local hall this year, with a 'shoot the Red Baron' type of game, no damage cards and say 5 hits to get a kill, I would naturally be the Red Baron.

sparty
02-05-2010, 12:10
People locally have been pretty receptive to various types of games, but their acceptence is largely dependent upon the product support provided at the stores.

Getting stores to stock it, however, is a real challenge. It's a Catch-22 where the stores don't want to stock something that people won't buy and people won't buy what the stores don't stock since they can wait the same period of time for an online shipment and get it for 20%-30% cheaper.

Jythier
02-22-2010, 18:05
I'm extremely lucky in that I fell into a game group that loves games, likes to all play together, and is too large to really do that with most euros. Also, they take so long! Wings of War, we can play in half the time of the longer games, with two to three times the players. So far I've introduced it to a couple of the guys and they were jumping over it. I think most euros players would fall in love with it given the potential depth, yet elegant and simple rules. I know I did and I'm a die-hard economic gamer. I love games that make you think, but Wings of War is just FUN.

sparty
02-22-2010, 20:39
Yeah my regular game group is about 12-15 people that meets at a local game store on Thursdays. Very much into the whole Euro thing which is great since I'm a lifelong wargamer. I had no idea there were all these great games out there so it's a lot of fun.

That said... I mentioned that I picked up Wings of War they all kind of turned their noses up at me about it...DESPITE the fact that they are all gaga over Robo-Rally so it's not like they are totally opposed to programmed movement and combat style games. I think the "toy" aspect of it gives them a knee-jerk reaction against "Ameritrash"...I will reveal that it was designed by an Italian and I'm sure they'll be back on board...

In any case -

I love that the system lets you knock out like 4 pretty good sized games in a couple hours. No other game we play is like that.

LGKR
02-23-2010, 06:34
Yeah my regular game group is about 12-15 people that meets at a local game store on Thursdays. Very much into the whole Euro thing which is great since I'm a lifelong wargamer. I had no idea there were all these great games out there so it's a lot of fun.

That said... I mentioned that I picked up Wings of War they all kind of turned their noses up at me about it...DESPITE the fact that they are all gaga over Robo-Rally so it's not like they are totally opposed to programmed movement and combat style games. I think the "toy" aspect of it gives them a knee-jerk reaction against "Ameritrash"...I will reveal that it was designed by an Italian and I'm sure they'll be back on board...

In any case -

I love that the system lets you knock out like 4 pretty good sized games in a couple hours. No other game we play is like that.

That seems funny since Wings of War is a Euro game devoloped in Italy and just like most Euro games does not use dice. Seems like it would be right up their alley.

sparty
02-23-2010, 09:38
Fear of anything featuring plastic and not wood? Allergic reaction to playing pieces that aren't cubes or meeples? :)