PDA

View Full Version : Building a Flat Top

afilter
02-03-2010, 07:03
So I am contemplating building some ships for WoW play. I have a couple unassempled models. Starting with a 1/1200 scale USS Enterprise CV-6.

My thought is to use it as the basis to build a flat version using foamboard. I want to start with an accurate template using the model.

Since I am starting with 1/1200 I just want to make sure I am correct on my scale adjustments, which is where I need your assistance. ;)

If I photo copy the deck I will get a 1/1200 template. So, how much do I need to blow it up to get a 1/200 scale template....600% ?

Obviosuly, I would not really need to be 1/200...but how cool would that look and easy to store being flat.

If you were making flat ships what would be the ideal scale you would use? I thouht about multiples, but that is probably really going overboard. I am think a larger scale of at least 1/300 as plan to use Torp Bombers and imagine it will not be long before we see them officially.

TIA,

Aaron

Oberst Hajj
02-03-2010, 07:51
Aaron, that sounds logical. I would use that as a starting point and then use this calculator site (http://www.printmini.com/calc.shtml) to check that the real world length of the ship matches what it should be at 1/200.

As for what scale to actually use, I think it really comes down to one main questions: Do you plane to scramble planes off of it during a game? If the answer to that is yes, you need to do them in 1/200. If not, I would think some thing in the 1/500 range would be okay.

CV-6 would be just under 1 foot and 8 inches at 1/500 and it would be 4 feet and 1.5 inches at 1/200... so a lot bigger! I think 1/500 would still give a good enough size target to try and hit with out one ship taking up half your table. 1/500 would put the USS Kidd, a Fletcher class destroyer, right at 9 inches long.

afilter
02-03-2010, 08:28
Excellent calculator Thanks! Although I will will have to title the link something other that Jim's Dollhouse....;)

Probably will not scramble from them, but Torp planes need a good size target.....Maybe 1/300 might be a good compromise. Then is I ever get the bright Idea to do 1/300 models that would be an option as well.

Oberst Hajj
02-03-2010, 16:24
Yeah, 1/300 could work. Here is a quick pic on how big the CV-6 would be at different scales. I think I would go for 1/400 personally.

phililphall
02-03-2010, 18:23
I just use the Axis and Allies War at Sea ships. They don't take up much space and, since you are airborne at several thousand feet, they look a long way down. Ebay is your friend if you want to find individuals. Carriers, BB's, Ca's can be expensive though.

afilter
02-03-2010, 18:29
I just use the Axis and Allies War at Sea ships. They don't take up much space and, since you are airborne at several thousand feet, they look a long way down. Ebay is your friend if you want to find individuals. Carriers, BB's, Ca's can be expensive though.

War at Sea ships you say......hmmmmm.....do they look something like this:
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/adfilter/Wings%20of%20War/DSCN0449.jpg

Just looking for something a little bigger when I introduce Torp bombers. ;)

phililphall
02-04-2010, 08:54
Nice ships. Not War at Sea, which, I think, are 1/1800. If you're planning on starting the game after the penetration of the protective belt, the four foot long Enterprise would be cool. If you want to do the approach to the fleet and the penetration of the defending cruisers and destroyers, you would probably be better off using the setup in the picture.

afilter
02-04-2010, 09:14
Nice ships. Not War at Sea, which, I think, are 1/1800. If you're planning on starting the game after the penetration of the protective belt, the four foot long Enterprise would be cool. If you want to do the approach to the fleet and the penetration of the defending cruisers and destroyers, you would probably be better off using the setup in the picture.

Oh those are W@S all the way...Akagi, Shokaku, Zuikaku, Soryu, Kong, Haurna, and Tone with DDs. ;)

Yes, W@S is 1/1800 scale, so I already have that option available. I could even take top down photos of them so planes could easily manuever over them.

The idea with a larger versions would be to get up close and personal with the Kates and potential Kamikaze attacks as well as Divebombers after release.

phililphall
02-04-2010, 16:26
Mea Culpa. They look better painted than my ships. Did you repaint them?