PDA

View Full Version : Should I bother with Famous Aces?

SoldierSteve
02-03-2010, 05:37
I Started playing this game just over a month ago when I bought Burning Drachens. I got this particular box because it had rules for solo playing and wasn't sure if I was going to be able to convince anyone else in my family to play with me! I then decided that I wanted to use miniatures so bought the complete series 3 in the mistaken view that they would be most suited to BD. When they arrived I discovered that quite a few of them were B firing and so I didn't have the correct damage deck (BD comes with A, C and D damage decks).

So now I have also bought Watch Your Back. This not only gives me the B deck but 5 extra game boards that will be useful as I hopefully attract more people to play with.

I had also planned on buying Famous Aces at some stage but I now wonder if there is any point. I don't use the airplane cards as I only use miniatures so another 22 of them would be pointless as would the manouever decks. I now have 7 game boards and over 100 counters of various types. So other than to 'complete the set' I don't really see much point in getting it.

I suppose my question is - am I missing something or is there something I haven't considered?

Your wisdom please.

Carl_Brisgamer
02-03-2010, 05:44
Steve,

With BD and WYB you do not really need FA. There is nothing new besides the aircraft cards.

Cheers,

Carl.

Oberst Hajj
02-03-2010, 07:24
The only think you might end up wanting/needing from FA is another A damage deck. If your games get large enough, you are going to need at least 2 of these. The other option and a better route to go would be to get the Deluxe set. It will give you a double sized A damage deck, another B damage deck and four of the series 1 miniatures if you do not already have them.

There is a sticky (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=602) in this section of the forum that outlines the best way to get into this game when you are just starting out... might be helpful to you still.

Lowell Throttle
02-03-2010, 14:07
Today I bought Burning Drachens.................and 4 miniatures. :D
(2 SPAD XIII's and 2 Albatros D.Va's) I also set up my location on the Players Location Google Map and have found a local Gaming Club.

I guess I'm "in deep" now.

This week-end I plan on doing some balloon Busting.

I want to also get a Nieuport 17 (maybe convert it to a 16) repaint it: also adding some Le Prieur rockets.

I also saw over on Game Geek that the Drachen Miniatures are on the way
and that another box set called Flight of the Giants - Bombers is due out
maybe by Spring or Summer.

Very cool stuff!

Oberst Hajj
02-03-2010, 19:44
Hold off on that Ni17... The Balloon Buster set is going to come with a Ni16 with rockets ;)