PDA

View Full Version : Reconnaissance

Cruthers
02-03-2010, 02:13
I'm planning a campaign with a few friends where various missions have an affect on a later mission, for example, a Reconnaissance mission where a photo has to be taken before a planned bombing run determines the effectiveness of the bombs later on.

While writing a draft of how the Reconnaissance mission works, I thought it would be an idea to share my thoughts here in case they are of use or inspiration to someone else.

When we've tried photography missions in the past, we've simply had the photographer fly over the target and draw a damage card. If the damage is equal to or higher than a pre-determined number (usually 2 or 3), then the photograph is successfully taken, otherwise the plane has to fly around for another attempt.

For the purpose of my campaign, I've elaborated on this in the following manner:

Each photograph obtains a score which acts as a damage bonus to bombs when it comes to the bombing mission. To determine the score of the photograph, a damage card is drawn and adjusted by the following criteria -

Altitude 1 = minus 2 due to blurring
Altitude 2 or 4 = no bonus
Altitude 3 = plus 2 for perfect height to obtain most clearly defined detail
Special Damage Smoke = Clouds obscure photo, minus 2
Special Damage Red Gun Jam = Camera jammed, no further pictures allowed, no bonus
Special Damage Green Gun Jam = Camera plate stiff to remove and replace, no bonus, but minus one on next photograph.
Special Damage Cogs = Expertly taken picture, plus 2 bonus.
Special Damage Flames = Over exposed, minus 1
Special Damage Shot Observer = The plate is dropped and the photo lost, no score

I'm not sure how many photographs could be attempted at the time. Have suggested 6 for the purpose of my campaign. Obviously if the photographer fails to get back alive, then no score is recorded. Note that the score can never be reduced below zero.

Any comments/thoughts on the above suggestions would be most welcome. :)

Oberst Hajj
02-03-2010, 07:14
Sounds pretty interesting and well thought out. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Charlie3
02-03-2010, 12:01
I like your system better than the "Fly over the target and RUN!" system my group is currently using. I think we will give it a try next week.

LGKR
02-03-2010, 12:31
I like your system better than the "Fly over the target and RUN!" system my group is currently using. I think we will give it a try next week.

OH NO! New league rules to confuse the peanut gallery.:eek:

Charlie3
02-09-2010, 19:44
Well Cruthers...We used a modified version of your picture taking rules. (we used dice instead so we wouldn't depleat the damage deck) The mission became much more realistic as I had to make 4seperate passes on a target to get 3 pictures.

One adjustment we made was the addition of a rule that you may only take 1 photo per game turn. This means you have to make a pass and turn around. These turns take a long time when you have fighters buzzing around like gnats.

We did do a second mission right afterwords to bomb the target. I lost the observer before the bomb run, but still managed to shoot down 1 enemy plane and survive the failed mission. All in All the system was well recieved, and likely will be added to our league rules. Thanks for the idea!

Cruthers
02-10-2010, 00:13
That's great to hear Charlie! Thanks for the feedback. :)

Pooh
02-10-2010, 10:27
Another rule we use when doing recon is no firing allowed while photos are being taken. The observer is busy with the camera and the pilot is trying to keep the plane straight and level.

Pooh

Charlie3
02-10-2010, 19:48
Another rule we use when doing recon is no firing allowed while photos are being taken. The observer is busy with the camera and the pilot is trying to keep the plane straight and level.

Pooh Sorry...I left that out. We also do this, as well as only allowing one set of guns to fire at a time.

sparty
02-27-2010, 07:18
I do like the concepts you've got here. Did you make some kind of small reference card so people could easily shift their understanding from the default special damage rules to the special damage rules as they apply to a recon mission?

Cruthers
02-27-2010, 09:54
I do like the concepts you've got here. Did you make some kind of small reference card so people could easily shift their understanding from the default special damage rules to the special damage rules as they apply to a recon mission?

Not yet, but it is something I intend to do, as I have already made a reference card so newbies can see what the maneuver symbols mean at a glance (might upload it here in the near future), and am working on a kind of campaign booklet laying out the missions and how they influence future missions. I'll probably hold back on uploading that until it's had at least one play through to see if it works okay.

sparty
02-28-2010, 18:13
Awesome. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more missions and campaigns uploaded here!