PDA

View Full Version : Solo rules?

Kaiser
03-11-2012, 04:45
WGF seems to have a working solo rules system. Is there a way to come up with the same for WGS?

Blackronin
03-11-2012, 05:40
Indeed. See here:

http://www.tynesidewargames.co.uk/wowrules.html

He made ww2 rules for a few decks. But you can always make the others. :)

Blackronin
03-11-2012, 07:30
You're too kind, Daniel. I hope to see your solo rules in a AAR. :)

Kaiser
03-12-2012, 08:14
I always give good reputation for helping me ;)

But a pity that no solo rules seem to use altitude.

Blackronin
03-12-2012, 11:43
Daniel:

And I always say thank you to people that give me reputation. ;)

As for the altitude in solo rules, there is a easy way to use it.

At every maneuver card dealt to the AI plane where there is a straight maneuver you must check if the closest enemy of that AI is lower, higher or at the same altitude. Replace the straight maneuver by the correct altitude change. You'll see that it works almost as a charm.

Kaiser
03-12-2012, 13:18
Hmm interesting.
Andi noticed the AI will never use an Immelmann.

Blackronin
03-12-2012, 13:27
Daniel:

I've made a change in that in my games. After the AI player plays a straight maneuver and the closest enemy plane is in his 6/7 facing, and after all living player have played their cards, I roll a D6 die: on a 5-6 he immediately makes an Immelmann. This give the AI pilot more aggressiveness and unpredictability. You must try it out.

Kaiser
03-12-2012, 13:39
Good solution :) But wouldonly work if the AI has used a Straight before unless he would break the rules for Immelmann/Split-S.

Blackronin
03-12-2012, 13:49
Good solution :) But wouldonly work if the AI has used a Straight before unless he would break the rules for Immelmann/Split-S.

I don't know if I'm following your question.
Maybe I didn't explain well enough the first time, sorry. Here it goes again:
The last card has been played by all the planes. The AI pilot played a straight maneuver. The following card is played faced down. Now, before all cards are revealed in the current turn - if that particular AI pilot has an enemy plane in his 6/7 arc, you roll a die. On a 5-6, replace the current maneuver that he's going to make by an Immelmann. His next maneuver will be another straight, unless he's an ace with the proper ability.

Kaiser
03-12-2012, 13:55
Ah i just repeated what you said :D i should read more carefully especially if i'm tired :D

Blackronin
03-12-2012, 13:58
No problem. I'd like to read a report of a solo game by you sometime soon. ;)

Herkybird
04-16-2012, 12:32
Hi there!

I didnt put an immelmann in as I felt it unfair on real pilots to be unexpectedly hit by an aircraft coming the other way!
I think Blackronins suggestions sound good if you want height changes and Immellmann turns!

I never liked the WW2 version as much as WW1 (sorry!), so havent put as much effort into it recently. I do play occasionally though.

I was planning to do some more decks, as the next set of aircraft models are now available. If I can figure a way of putting Immelmann/split-s in, I may do so, or maybe Blackronin would allow me to put his suggested rules on the playsheets?

Blackronin
04-16-2012, 12:40
Richard, feel free to use my suggestion at will. I've been playing some great solo games thanks to you so if you use my ideas derived from your ideas it's more than fair.

Herkybird
04-16-2012, 12:54
Cheers!

Its nice to have options when trying to find a solution!

:D

Redstarny
04-29-2012, 10:21
Has anyone come up with something for the H&I WW2 decks?

Herkybird
04-29-2012, 11:02
Hi Redstarny!-- Welcome to the thread!

I have the decks in a box next to my laptop, and will (hopefully) have the solo rules available for these decks by the end of the week! - I have a lot on at present so may not be possible to do this quickly. I will post here when they are done!

I have made slight modifications to the A-D decks to allow for using the suggested rules for height and Immelmann turns, as suggested by Blackronin (to whom thanks - again!) - while allowing people who dont use these functions to continue playing easily.

If you want decks as they are done, please contact me at Richardbradley5@gmail.com, and I will send them directly to you.
The decks A-I (modified) will all eventually go on my clubs download page, and I will post on the Aerodrome - here - when that is done too!

Thanks for playing my solo rules, I hope you enjoy using them!

Happy Flying!

Blackronin
04-29-2012, 12:33
You are a good man, Richard. It's a pleasure to use your solo decks and to be able to contribute to help you with your work.

Redstarny
04-29-2012, 14:57
Thanks for the work on this Richard. I would never have bought the game without knowing there was a solo AI, and I've had a great time playing it.

There's an email heading your way. Thanks for the offer!

Herkybird
05-04-2012, 12:57
Hi again fellow fliers!

I have got the other solo rule decks done now and they are up on my clubs website at http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/wowrules.html - I hope you really enjoy using them. They incorporate the excellent suggestions from Blackronin for altitude and Immelmann turns as optional rules!

Any problems - please let me know!

Happy gaming! :pint:

Blackronin
05-04-2012, 13:14
Thanks for the compliment, Richard.
I've been studying the decks and I feel that they are much more aggressive and intuitive and as soon as I take to the skies with them I'll let you know. The only thing I think that is lacking is straight maneuvers to implement the Immelmanns. In 42 maneuvers (and I loved the way you slip up the 2 and the eleven aspects) there are only 3 straight maneuvers. That means that you only have 1 straight per each 14 maneuvers. What do you think about it?

Herkybird
05-04-2012, 13:24
Hi again!

Not sure, I think I would like to see what people feel before changing. The downside of straight manoeuvres is they make the AI aircraft more vulnerable, I always find an aggressively manoeuvering AI plane more difficult to engage, but thats just me.
I only find the WW2 solo rules work well when there are at least 2 planes a side, as it makes it harder to remember the solo planes last manoeuvre choice.

JE Johnson's book on Air Warfare and other things I have read over the years makes me think the split-s and wing over were less used manoeuvres in actual combat, and I attempted to reflect that in my manoeuvre card choices to an extent.

I will be interested what other players think! :confused:

Redstarny
05-04-2012, 18:05
I was lucky enough to get an early copy of the new decks from Richard. I was also unlucky enough to get shot down over the English coast after a Messerschmidt conducted an Immelmann.

So far I love having complete sets for all the WW2 decks and the aggressive new AI. Great work.

Blackronin
08-02-2012, 11:37
I was finally capable to play a WW2 game with the new solo rules. You can see it here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?11142-Solo-Pacific-Dogfight-with-Richard-Bradley-Rules&p=161330#post161330

I may try some modifications in the next game.

But all in all, I loved to play it solo.