PDA

View Full Version : WSF "Fokker Fodder" AKA a Brace of BE2c's !

gully_raker
03-09-2012, 17:21
:D G'day All!
One of my projects during the incredable spell of wet weather ( almost 9 inches in two weeks) was to paint up 2 x BE 2c's for Bloody April.
I wanted both to look similar but be easily recognised on the Games Table. So here are the details:

First for preparation of the WSF finish I gave a light sand with an emery board to the Fuselarge sides & the Top wing with fine Wet & Try emery paper. Next a wash in lukewarm water with a little Dishwash detergent & a soft brush to remove fibers.

I painted one Aircraft in GW Bleached Bone with a bit of Desert Yellow added & the second one with Desert Yellow with some skull White. The latter mix is the slightly darker. 4 Coats on each plane. Struts are Snakebite Leather, Prop & Crew suits are Bestial Brown whilst the nose & panels are Codex Grey. Exhaust & engine details drybrushed with Tin Bits & the Tyres are Char Grey (again my own mix)

One aircraft was fitted with a wing mounted Lewis Gun (as used in the BBC Wings series) firing off to the left of the Aircraft. This is a cut down GW Imperial Guard Lasgun with the Drum a piece of Sprue.
One Aircraft has Red wheel discs & the other Blue.

I decided to add some hard usage discolouration to the Nose, Cockpit area & top wing. (stained from the exhausts which exit near its forward edge) This is my first attempt to show "weathering" & on the table they look rather spiffy.
The Pilots are Peter Pig torso only & what a job it was to get the Observer into the front cockpit!!! Note on one Aircraft he is pointing off to the RH Side. This is the one with the Bomb in his hand which I trimmed.

Unfortunately my Macro Lens tends to show any roughness & imperfections when taking really close ups but with the naked eye & even 2X Mag glasses this is not visible.

Decals are from Dom & the Tail colours are hand painted. GW's Matt Varnish was used to seal the Decals.

Note Observers arm pointing.

Nightbomber
03-09-2012, 17:35
Lovely planes, Barry! I truly admire your efforts to make them look battle-touched and weathered. Now you are ready to play Bloody April scenarios!

flash
03-10-2012, 01:54
Smashing - Like the offset Lewis gun Barry - take it that was an 'extra' - I've been looking to fit one on my Dolphin but I think it will be too vulnerable to handling damage.

Doug
03-10-2012, 02:12
Well done Barry. The Shapeways BE2c is a nice model I prefer it to the Skytrex one:thumbsup:

Rat of Vengence
03-10-2012, 02:30
Wonderful work mate, I am really liking the 'Western Front Pattern' lasgun :D The exhaust stains look perfect, obvious discolouration, but not overtly black and sooty.

Dave

Flying Officer Kyte
03-10-2012, 04:01
Impressive as usual Barry. The gun is a nice "little" extra touch. Ideal for raking a Zep as you fly down the side of it.:eek:
Rob.

crashx
03-10-2012, 04:32
Nice work Barry!!! I agree, I like the exhaust stains also, nice touch!!!

Jager
03-10-2012, 08:12
Nice work, Barry. I'll just warm up a pair of Albatross D.IIIs now ;)
Karl

Guntruck
03-10-2012, 09:53
Excellent Barry, well done.

alpine
03-12-2012, 11:15
I love how you went the extra mile and added the weathering. Great job, Barry!

somaliavet
03-12-2012, 11:26
Those are great looking paintjobs!