PDA

View Full Version : Using WoW with other games

afilter
01-29-2010, 14:10
Just wondering if anyone is using WoW in conjuction with other Wargames?

I can definately see a potential for it.

Not just talking about using the minis in another game. I have seen many pics where people have used the WoW planes in other games or other Game Minis in their WoW scenarios. I am wondering if anyone has actually incorporated WoW mechanics into another Land or Sea Game?

Something to ponder.......;)

Oberst Hajj
01-29-2010, 18:39
I've actually thought about the idea of combining a DoW campaign with a Flames of War campaign. I'd have my group of "fly boys" do the air stuff and the local group of "tread heads" would do the ground pounding stuff. I think it could be fun for the two groups to influence each others game play.

afilter
01-29-2010, 19:21
I've actually thought about the idea of combining a DoW campaign with a Flames of War campaign. I'd have my group of "fly boys" do the air stuff and the local group of "tread heads" would do the ground pounding stuff. I think it could be fun for the two groups to influence each others game play.

FoW...one game I have not ventured into....definately soinds like a promising idea and along the lines of what I was thinking.

Oberst Hajj
01-29-2010, 22:44
I picked up a lot of German Armor and started painting it up (some pics in my albums here) but I never got into the game that much. I was helping out a lot with it in the very early stages by writing up the data files for the army list before it was even a published and release game. I ended up going over to Trashcanistan... I mean Afghanistan for 2 years when it finally came to market and just never got into. The game its self is a very polished, high quality product. I've not check the prices on the minis in years, but they used to be very reasonable... like $4-$6 for a tank or couple of lighter vehicles.

From my thoughts on combining the two, I would not even have to play FoW for it to work. Just sit down with the FoW "GM" and hash out how you want the two to effect each other.

Charlie3
01-30-2010, 07:03
One of my players has talked about a role playing game for WWI including flyers. He wants to use the WoW for all air combat in the game. He hasn't worked on it much yet, just an idea. Personally, with all the ace status rules the WoW game is almost a roleplaying game in itself. It just doesn't have the need for all the extra character information, and as a player you really get "involved" in a pilot while you are flying him. It is one of the things that make the game so engaging (no pun intended)

Fliegerabteilung 13
01-30-2010, 08:34
I have a few of Rod Langton's WWI Coastal series craft in 1/200th scale that I had experiemented with. I use home made manuever cards for the surface vessels where they play one manuever per turn, while aircraft use the usual three. The AA guns on the boats operate the same way as AA fire in the basic WoW rules. Boats can also engage eachother, using a corresponding damage deck relevant to the caliber of weapon fired.

It gives the aircraft a moving target, and can make for an interesting game. I would like to come up with rules and manuever decks for float planes in the future.

Cheers!

Flg.Abt. 13

afilter
01-30-2010, 14:31
I picked up a lot of German Armor and started painting it up (some pics in my albums here) but I never got into the game that much. I was helping out a lot with it in the very early stages by writing up the data files for the army list before it was even a published and release game. I ended up going over to Trashcanistan... I mean Afghanistan for 2 years when it finally came to market and just never got into. The game its self is a very polished, high quality product. I've not check the prices on the minis in years, but they used to be very reasonable... like $4-$6 for a tank or couple of lighter vehicles.

From my thoughts on combining the two, I would not even have to play FoW for it to work. Just sit down with the FoW "GM" and hash out how you want the two to effect each other.

Well, FoW has definately gone up in price since you last looked. Armor is min $9 retail. The primary reason I have avoided it is I am already heavily invested in AAM/WAS and just do not have the time/patience to go back to pinting right now. Maybe 10-15yrs ago when I was still painting ACW. ;)

The game itself looks great though and I know alot of AAM players venture over to FoW.

As for cross over I was considering Victory at Sea Air operations incorporating WoW. Have not even thought about the mechanics yet, bt can definately see the possibility with fighter on fighter actions and even attacks against ships as more bombers become available in WoW.

check6
01-30-2010, 15:08
when i get enough money for a hex mat, some stands and some bombers, i will my WWII stuff for Knights Cross.