PDA

View Full Version : Choose your side!

Oberst Hajj
08-28-2009, 04:15
If you could only fly for one side, which would it be?

cmcgill
08-28-2009, 08:06
Looks like the allies are going to need some help :(

Nekrodamus
08-28-2009, 09:12
Oops! To tell the truth I didn't expect more than two votes (Björn and me) for Germany. Now I'm curious to read the reasons. ;)

Stoff
08-28-2009, 11:23
I am one the German ones. My family is originally from Bavaria. My full name is Christoph Heinrich Hintze. My dad was Frederick Mohr Hintze. Not much doubt there.

Christoph

WilliamBarkerVC
08-28-2009, 13:16
The nice thing about all the votes for the Germans, is that there will be more of you to shoot down. Something a few generations later might call a "target rich environment" :D

kaufschtick
08-28-2009, 13:48
The nice thing about all the votes for the Germans, is that there will be more of you to shoot down. Something a few generations later might call a "target rich environment" :D

LOL!!!:D I'm with you Grant!

I'll cover your six, now let's go do some damage!:D

And me with a user name like kaufschtick...go figure.

cmcgill
08-28-2009, 14:03
It's always nice to have lot of things to shoot at. :)

Oberst Hajj
08-28-2009, 14:23
I was kind of surprised with the initial German amounts as well.... with all those Camel avatars!

I'm actually one of those that would play Germans most of the time... but in our local store it works out better if I'm on the Allied side number wise!

kaufschtick
08-28-2009, 14:30
Well, I will say this, the Germans in WoW most definately have the more colorful looking airplanes on the whole.:cool:

Oberst Hajj
08-28-2009, 14:34
Yes they do, just like in real life for the most part.

jasta6
08-28-2009, 15:47
My favorite pilot in the Great War is Warner Voß, I started liking him when I was about 10 and built the Revel (?) 1/32 Fokker Dr.1 kit. I loved the streaked green camo and the fact that he took on up to seven S.E. 5a's and damaged all the enemy planes. I also have German heritage that helped.

Jim P :cool:

kaufschtick
08-28-2009, 15:54
My favorite pilot in the Great War is Warner Voß, I started liking him when I was about 10 and built the Revel (?) 1/32 Fokker Dr.1 kit. I loved the streaked green camo and the fact that he took on up to seven S.E. 5a's and damaged all the enemy planes. I also have German heritage that helped.

There was great episode on the History Channels' DogFights series on that particular dogfight.

Absolutely incredible!

Boelcke would get my vote as far as WWI pilots of either side.

jasta6
08-28-2009, 16:32
There was great episode on the History Channels' DogFights series on that particular dogfight.

Absolutely incredible!

Boelcke would get my vote as far as WWI pilots of either side.

Darn, I missed that one. I'll have t see if they are selling that one.

Boelcke is a good choice, the farther of fighter tactics...

WilliamBarkerVC
08-28-2009, 17:02
LOL!!!:D I'm with you Grant!

I'll cover your six, now let's go do some damage!:D

And me with a user name like kaufschtick...go figure.

Shhh... don't tell anyone, but Ich war in Deutschland geboren!

kaufschtick
08-28-2009, 17:18
Shhh... don't tell anyone, but Ich war in Deutschland geboren!

:eek:

You ought to be ashamed of yourself then, now hadn't you! Choosing the Allies...

Shame on you. ;) :D

Well now, while I'm covering your six then...

Maybe I'll just test the ole' machine guns out here...:D:D:D:D

(Sniffles like Barney Fife; adjusts waistline of pants :D )

Nekrodamus
08-29-2009, 10:26
Caution Rob, all those 'Allies' above have some connections to Germany. Looks like they are spys, better get them down right now.

*evilgrin*

kaufschtick
08-29-2009, 19:50
Caution Rob, all those 'Allies' above have some connections to Germany. Looks like they are spys, better get them down right now.

*evilgrin*

I think we all do...;)

Let's see here, my wifes' maiden name is Kohlmorgen. My Grandmothers' maiden names were Villebraunt & Binegar.

My favorite German woman is St. Pauli Girl though!:D

(I hope my wife doesn't see that!!:eek:)

I like to goof around on the boards here, so don't take me too seriously...;)

PS- Good Lord, the avatars on this site are just super! I mean the ones provided here, really, really super looking!

Roger Wilco
08-30-2009, 09:16
Its No. 4 Squadron AFC for me

Oberst Hajj
08-30-2009, 13:27
PS- Good Lord, the avatars on this site are just super! I mean the ones provided here, really, really super looking!

Why thank you. But the real thanks has to go to Auletta for drawing the wonderful aircraft for the game and Andrea for sending them to me and allowing me to use them.

kaufschtick
08-30-2009, 13:35
Why thank you. But the real thanks has to go to Auletta for drawing the wonderful aircraft for the game and Andrea for sending them to me and allowing me to use them.

Well, they did a great job with creating the game and with the illustrations, and you've done a great job putting it all together here with this site!
:)

Nekrodamus
08-31-2009, 01:07
I think we all do...;)

Let's see here, my wifes' maiden name is Kohlmorgen. My Grandmothers' maiden names were Villebraunt & Binegar.

My favorite German woman is St. Pauli Girl though!:D

(I hope my wife doesn't see that!!:eek:)

I like to goof around on the boards here, so don't take me too seriously...;)

Much to our regret your forefathers didn't choose German as your language. International contacts would have been way more easy - at least for us Germans. ;)

Just checked your St. Pauli Girl and I think it perfectly serves the German prejudice about the Americans' extremly reduced view of Germany. :) + :(

tyree67
08-31-2009, 15:23
I had to go with Germany too. My grandfather family came from the Hesse area in Germany around 1850. I love playing the other side of a war. I also play Germany in Axis & Allies miniatures.

Nekrodamus
08-31-2009, 16:02
Meanwhile I'm wondering why there are any votes for the Allies at all. ;)

But this works fine the other way too: A forefather (german soldier serving in England in the 18th century) of my father (red hair in his youth) married a girl from Ireland and the birth name of my mother is Clemens (some of her forefathers were Huguenots who emigrated to Prussia).

Zeppelin
08-31-2009, 16:06
I have to go with the Allies.

kaufschtick
08-31-2009, 21:09
Just checked your St. Pauli Girl and I think it perfectly serves the German prejudice about the Americans' extremly reduced view of Germany. :) + :(

Well, I'm sorry to hear that my fondness for St. Pauli Girl beer perfectly serves your view on German prejudices about Americans' extremely reduced view of Germany.:confused:

Unfortunately, I have no idea what you are talking about, and I don't think I want to get drawn into a discussion on "prejudices" and "reduced views" here either. Sounds a little too serious for my liking, thanks anyway. :)

If you've taken offense to my lighthearted humor, I can only assure you that was not my intent, as I've previously stated.:)

Nekrodamus
09-01-2009, 03:17
First of I really like your humor, it seams to fit my type of it very well. Unfortunately I have troubles to express my thoughts in correct English. Especially while trying to be ironic, ingenious or just funny...

Just a little explanation: A lot of (simple minded) Germans think that Americans reduce us to Oktoberfest, Sauerkraut and the like. Of course that's as stupid as assuming all Germans know about the USA are Cowboys and Hollywood.

Now seeing a beer produced in Bremen (large but boring), named by the infamous amusement strip of a competing northern city (Hamburg) and combined with a picture of a bavarian style maiden ...

By the way Germans would never accept such a 'mixed beer' and expect a 'St.Pauli Girl' to be (un)dressed completely different. :D

Sorry for OT!

Charlie3
09-01-2009, 14:32
ok I'm in...I would fly for uh...well...both!!! I tend to prefer the Central Empires but end up flying which ever side needs me on League nights. Such is the life of the organizer.

In reality I think most gamers prefer to play the side that lost historically. It is our need to prove that we know what went wrong and know how to fix it. Here in the U.S. especially we tend to support the underdog. Which can mean the one that is out numbered or at any disadvantage in the game or the one we know will lose historically.

I know that I have always seemed to needed to play the "BAD GUYS" in order to get non gamers intrested in playing. Besides in my opinion the Dr.1 is the most elegant looking plane from that time period, next would be the graceful lines of the Taube, and finally the Albatross family.

Oberst Hajj
09-01-2009, 16:15
I tend to prefer the Central Empires but end up flying which ever side needs me on League nights. Such is the life of the organizer.

I know what you mean!

kaufschtick
09-02-2009, 13:34
Unfortunately I have troubles to express my thoughts in correct English. Especially while trying to be ironic, ingenious or just funny...

Whew... I sure thought that you had taken exception to my less than sophisticated sense of humor.

Glad to see I was wrong. :o

Again, no offense intended and sorry for the confusion.:)

Doug
09-09-2009, 01:05
I would fly for the Allies, but in our club campaign I ended up on the German side

aarondpjames
09-19-2009, 05:51
Although I was born and rased in Britian, during WW2 my Grandfather was on the U-Boats and got the Iron cross, so I always go for the Germans when playing WOW and DOW. Family loyality and all that!! :D

C Stewart
09-30-2009, 06:02
I always fly German, my other half always flies Allies (WoW or DoW)..

He grew up reading Biggles and the first model plane I made (very girly, I know) was an airfix Bf109 E

Bixby
10-01-2009, 07:17
ok I'm in...I would fly for uh...well...both!!! I tend to prefer the Central Empires but end up flying which ever side needs me on League nights. Such is the life of the organizer.

That is the Iron Cross I bear as well. :)

Greywolf
10-08-2009, 03:39
Every since I was lil lad I have loved the look of the German aircraft.

from the Bf 109 to my all time fav the Stuka Ju 87 A-D & G and not to forget as well the Fw 190.

and now seeing the WWI planes I like the Fokker Dr I and the Fokker D VII
also the LVG caught my eye as well.

Not that I have anything against the Allied planes, I have a great respect and admiration for the Spad XIII, Sopwith Camel, Nieuport 17, Spitfire, Hurricane, P-51 Mustang, P-38 Lightning, and the IL2 Sturmovik...

Cheers
GW

Gauntlet
10-08-2009, 05:02
I too love the look of the German aircraft and of course their flyers were higher profile than the Allies. However I'll stick to flying for dear old blighty as, between you and me, I know the end result!!!

aarondpjames
10-08-2009, 07:57
I between you and me, I know the end result!!!

What ever you do, don't tell me......I hate when people spoil the endings of a book before I've had a chance to read it myself!!! :D

WilliamBarkerVC
10-08-2009, 17:36
It's amazing how this poll evened out, with the initial flood of German pilots. Very interesting, although there will be less to shoot down to go around, now...

Oberst Hajj
10-09-2009, 22:10
It's amazing how this poll evened out, with the initial flood of German pilots. Very interesting, although there will be less to shoot down to go around, now...

Just like in the real wars, the Allies were slow to start but got up to speed very quickly!

mosstrooper
10-26-2009, 10:58
Allies for me ! , but think its all those pretty german planes that swings it - the RFC has such boring colour schemes

The Blue Baron
11-02-2009, 00:40
German (WWI) because of the colourful planes and the L deck!

aarondpjames
11-02-2009, 02:49
German (WWI) because of the colourful planes and the L deck!

Yeah, I'm with you on that one, that L deck has some real cheeky cards in it!! :D

Nipotra Paul
11-13-2009, 05:01
I am Italian my preferred airplanes are the Spad XIII and the Hanriot DHI, I am an fan of Renè Paul Fonck (the anti hero), therefore I can choose only the allied side
Paolo

Jureweah
11-14-2009, 06:40
Both the uniforms and the German aircraft always seemed to me to be the most elegant.

I prefer playing with the German decree (Fokker D.VII of Ernst Udet) but it does not matter for me to use the Entente aircraft.

Vigfus
11-30-2009, 14:44
I've voted German. The reason is threefold:
1) Their aircraft just look nicer
2) There's a lot of their old airfields around here.
3) Stories I heard when I was a kid from old people and grandparents about the great war.

ptah1888
11-30-2009, 19:23
Well, right now my brother and I are alternating sides until we figure out our favorite planes. As for which side I would pick, I'd owe it to my great-grandfather to pick the Allies. He was wounded serving with the U.S. Army's 1st Gas Regiment.

bravofour
12-30-2009, 15:53
I went with Germany only because my German side of the family lost alot of money and land in WWI. I figure the least the Imperial Goverment can do is keep me supplied with aircraft to get shot out of the sky with.

Seriously though my Great Grandmother was a minor dutchess and lost it all during the first one. She then married well gained some of it back just to have WWII break out. Her Hubby (aka my Great Grandad) was killed during WWII and of course Germany lost, so again she lost it all. She was one of the strongest people Ive ever known. But by Gosh she was strict! She also tought me what it means to value everything, and that sometimes being the richest doesnt mean you have the fullest life.

Dimetri1
01-03-2010, 16:43
Allies. And I would have joined up early and fought with the British.

Grinneth42
01-04-2010, 12:53
Hmm... this is actually a hard call... I play the central empires in our games (and I assume that the question Could be either WWI or II), but I do that because no one else really wants to play them... and I like being the bad guy. If we were talking world policy, it would probably be different.. but until then, "I am a [jelly] donut". (Points to the people who know what that means!)

afilter
01-04-2010, 12:58
At the risk of sounding Non-PC I like to go both ways. ;)

I did vote Allies....the TRE (Target Rich Environment) comment swayed me. :D

richard m schwab
01-24-2010, 09:01
I thought this was directed to the WW1 gang. So i will say that when i do fly WW1 it is as a German. WW2 it depends on the Theater, in Europe i do German
in the Pacific U.S.

Carl_Brisgamer
01-24-2010, 12:53
[QUOTE=Charlie3;547]ok I'm in...I would fly for uh...well...both!!! I tend to prefer the Central Empires but end up flying which ever side needs me on League nights. Such is the life of the organizer. [QUOTE]

I feel your pain. When I first started a local campaign I wanted to fly Central Powers, but ended up with more Allied pilots than German!

We are starting European WW2 campaigns this year, and I have a feeling I'll be taking Hurricanes and Spits for a spin as well as my beloved Emil.

Cheers,

Carl.

The Blue Baron
03-17-2010, 04:50
At the risk of sounding Non-PC I like to go both ways. ;)

I suppose going both ways is as PC as possible. ;)

Originally I voted German but at the moment I am falling in love with the Spad... Nasty thing... The perfect thing would be a captured Spad... ;)

Volant Gun
03-17-2010, 19:55
I've always thought that Germany had the best looking planes during the great war. The D VII kicked butt. However, I have to admit the SPAD was very cool as well.

Have Fun,
VG

von Auerbergh
03-21-2010, 00:40
I had to take the germans ...

When sharing the box with my wingman, he said something like "german circus" and chosed the allies. I´m afraid, he even will paint Barraca´s SPAD in some kind of olive drab :(

And - yes, I like the colours of german planes.

BvA

Flying Officer Kyte
04-06-2010, 06:06
It's the Albert Ball thing again I am afraid. Having been brought up with his statue overlooking my childhood, what else could I do?

Haystack
04-12-2010, 09:48
If I can only fly for one side it would have to be the allies. I grew up reading Snoopy and his trusty Sopwith Camel, flying against the Red Baron. The kid becomes an adult but the kid will never die.:D
Haystack

Niemandsland
04-12-2010, 10:57
Hmm ...

Let me think a little ...

I'm from Germany ...

Which side should i fly for? ...

Of course for the Germanside :D

Sorry for my Patriotism. I think it's not well seen that a German is proud to be German.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-12-2010, 11:28
Hi Brian.
Have you googled Utube- Snoopy vs the Red Baron?
Rob.

LGKR
04-12-2010, 11:57
I would love to know how things in Europe would have turned out had Germany won or at least the war ended in a draw. Maybe WWII would never have happened at least in Europe.

BrunoStachel
04-13-2010, 03:55
Hm somebody here said he like to play the bad guys... I think germans in WWI where not bad at all, just as patriotic as the french or british. Even for WWII, not all germans were nazis!

And to Niemandsland: I am far away of being a political "right", but I dont think its wrong to be german and patriotic. Our soldiers die in afghanistan as we are all allies now. So why we shouldnt have the right to be patriotic as the british, americans or french are? I am proud to be german as I am proud to be European.

So... I play german cause I am german, but I have no problem to play the allies if it is needed in a game.

Bob.fr
04-13-2010, 05:31
Hey my Last name is SCHALL in fact.
I have some origins linked with the Alsace and Lorraine (now French) territories.
Once German, once French and so on for several wars long.
My Grand father spoke French but never wrote it properly due to an always changing school language at that period !
So yes I am French but my heart is also with Germany due to my boundaries origins !
Cruel dilemna to vote only for one side ! :o
I know at war you have to choose your side but guys like "Nungesser", "Fonck" seems to have names that sounds more German than French like mine despite being French Aces ! :o

LGKR
04-13-2010, 06:04
My ancestry is Scottish - Irish on father’s side and German - Polish on my mother side. I have always had an affinity for the "barbarian" peoples of history. The Nazi period has left such a stain that it's hard for some to look at the good beyond. Many don't realize that the winning side in WWI took up a policy of "revenge" against Germany after the war. This is what created the perfect environment for the fascists to take control. All countries have had moments in history when the government has done questionable or terrible things. It’s not right to brand a race of people by the actions of small band of fanatics. It’s like the “terrorist” situation the world finds itself in today. These small factions with extremist points of view have tainted many people’s view of Muslims. The majority of which are civilized and peace loving. :)

BrunoStachel
04-13-2010, 06:08
Thanks for your statement LGKR, all you said is true!

Flying Officer Kyte
04-13-2010, 06:29
If you want a mongrel race look at the English! I know that I have Norman French ancestors. My Great grandmother was Scottish, and my mother had French ancestors too.
My wife has, Irish, Welsh and Jewish stock, and my aunty is married to a Dutchman. In visiting all these parts of Europe I have found that you get the good, the bad, and the ugly! We are all part of the world family, and should remember,as Don said, that most folks are " the good guys ". I am sure that Charlie didn't mean any sort of slight to any other player on the site.
Rob.

LGKR
04-13-2010, 06:39
If you want a mongrel race look at the English! I know that I have Norman French ancestors. My Great grandmother was Scottish, and my mother had French ancestors too.
My wife has, Irish, Welsh and Jewish stock, and my aunty is married to a Dutchman. In visiting all these parts of Europe I have found that you get the good, the bad, and the ugly! We are all part of the world family, and should remember,as Don said, that most folks are " the good guys ". I am sure that Charlie didn't mean any sort of slight to any other player on the site.
Rob.

Poor Charlie. Unfortunately it's thinking from the American perspective that gets us into trouble. We tend to forget that not everyone comes from our experience. Knowing Charlie personally I can vouch that he did not mean any offense, he just tends to speak (or write) before he thinks. :D

Ducalutra
06-09-2010, 00:45
You have to face the sad truth: Central Empires had the best fighters and the best pilots. They lost in the end just because of the sheer number of planes the Allied sent against them.
Another example of quality outnumbered (literally) by quantity.
That's the main reason why my sympathy goes to them.

target rich environment

About TRE, it's a funny thing that it was a common joke amongst Jasta 11 pilots during what Allies remember as "Blood April".

Gord
06-13-2010, 12:48
I think we all do...;)

Not Me!
Which I guess makes me something of an anomaly. In fact I truly belong to an Allied subset...
I am 8 generations Canadian on my Mothers side and my Great great great great (?) Grand Uncle was Sir James Tyrrell; accused by that lickspittle Shakespeare of smothering the two little princes in the Tower of London for Richard III (undoubtedly the real culprit was Bolingbroke as he was the only one with anything to gain). At least 8 generations and perhaps more on my Father's side(a noble branch of the UEL in PEI).
My Father was RCAF (Wellington tailgunner and then Nav on Lancs) and my Grandfather was in the RCA (WW1) and Calgary Tanks (WW2, he joined after Dieppe).
It was the miniature for Barker's Camel that got me into this game in the first place!
So I am, by hereditary, barred from the non allies and pretty much morally obligated to only fly Canadians; only.
Gordon Parker

I do however, REALLY like playing the Darkside in Star Wars Minis! hehehehe

tuladin
07-16-2010, 19:09
I picked the allies.

My ancestry is mostly German, and I prefer the looks of their colorful planes, but we've got to make the world safe for democracy! (at least that's what president Wilson said.):)

ara398
07-16-2010, 19:32
3/4 Irish, 1/8 English, 1/8 German and all Australian, of course I voted Allies!

I mean someone has to fly for the AFC!

To be honest though, they did have the dullest looking aircraft (in general :))

Regards,
Adrian

Olt^Jones
07-17-2010, 00:07
i like both of them.
but usually i enjoy flying for CE in WWI and germans in WWII.

gandalfo71
07-17-2010, 00:27
I am one the German ones
I love lothar's DrI so I often play with the two Brothers vs my friend nipotrapaul and his spads

bleeder
07-17-2010, 12:07
Allies all the way. I wonder what the poll would say if we divided it into WoW and DoW?

Gord
07-17-2010, 17:34
Hi Sebastian,
I think it is great that you are proud of who you are and of your country. Why shouldn't you be?
Just as I am very proud to be Canadian.
In WoW I own William Barker's Camel or Snipe. I am re-painting a Nieuport 17 in Billy Bishop's markings and really looking forward to Bishop's Se5a and from the new deluxe set will be a Roy Brown Camel.
All Canadians that I take great pride in.
But I also own Richtofen's Dr1 and Roland, Udet's DVII, Kempf's Dr1 and an F-Toy model of Richtofen's Albatros D.III and they have proud places in my collection too.
One day (hopefully before I die of old age) we may even see a Raymond Collishaw Sopwith Tri-Plane or Camel, or a McKeever Bristol Fighter, or a Carter Spad VII, or an Immelman Eindecker or a Boelcke D.II and I will be proud to add any of these to my collection.
It is a long long time since the Nazi era and something that probably happened long before you were born and likely before your parents too! Time to let the past be the past. Take pride in the good and learn from the evil.
Canada has had it's dark shameful times too.
In WoW I generally fly my Canadian's but would have no problem at all flying Udet's DVII or Richtofen's DR1.
Of course be proud!

Gord

Hmm ...

Let me think a little ...

I'm from Germany ...

Which side should i fly for? ...

Of course for the Germanside :D

Sorry for my Patriotism. I think it's not well seen that a German is proud to be German.

richard m schwab
07-18-2010, 02:00
Gordon

How have those transplanted planes worked out for you?

As for master Shakespeare we all know who he worked for!;)

Rich

Attila57
07-18-2010, 08:15
I flow as a Germanmy during my first WOW game.

But I think, to copte the situations of the game, learn to fly with Allied minis it's a must. I learned playing chess you can prefer white to black chessmen (or vice versa). But you have to learn to play well with both colors to be a good player.

So German but not only.

Attilio

Gord
07-18-2010, 10:35
Gordon

How have those transplanted planes worked out for you?

As for master Shakespeare we all know who he worked for!;)
Rich
Indeed! Just another media flak!
As for my transplanted fighters; I must say the DVII, as good as it is - and it is very good indeed- is not the absolute aerial master that it is so often reputed to be. I find the Snipe to be the DVII's equal in the game and frankly, so is the Camel. Primarily because the Wings of War Camel's performance DOES NOT degrade at altitude. At 12,000 ft the Camel was still the ultimate dogfighter but above 12,000 the DVII badly outclassed the Camel. Happily for me (as an Allied pilot), this is not reflected in the game.
The Dr1 is tricksie, no doubt about it, but also quite fragile. I really do like using it (especially my all red Dr1) but this is a fragile dancer not a puncher. I honestly prefer the Camel in most situations.
I think a good player can score well; indeed very well, in any of these types and I will be very curious to see how the Se5a is represented.
Ultimately it all comes down to the player doesn't it? I have, in my day, met a lot of poor workmen with fabulous tools.

Gord

Shooter
07-27-2010, 05:56
Well being French, I chose to be on the allied side... even though I've German roots... but also English ones... okay, I had to choose some side, but I guess I'll end up flying both.
It's just a game.
Cheers.

Mike George
09-11-2010, 09:14
Either side I just like to play. Even give me the bomber.

Cujo8-1
09-12-2010, 17:04
Allies all the way. I wonder what the poll would say if we divided it into WoW and DoW?

WoW would win hands down...Allies all the way!

stringbag
09-13-2010, 14:35
Ive chosen the allies purely from previous family history, nought to do with morals or politics, although I do tend to play mostly german as their aircraft are so cool. :)

Flying Officer Kyte
09-13-2010, 14:46
I thought it was a bit confusing being an Allied pilot but having a Central Powers avatar.
Rob.

stringbag
09-13-2010, 14:57
I would say 90% of the time I play, I use german aircraft. Other players who tend to use allied aircraft seem to prefer Spads or Nieuports. I suspect this will change once the Se5a's are released.;)

Flying Officer Kyte
09-13-2010, 15:09
I would say 90% of the time I play, I use german aircraft. Other players who tend to use allied aircraft seem to prefer Spads or Nieuports. I suspect this will change once the Se5a's are released.;)

I am sure that you are right, I have built a Biff and it has yet to be really challenged by any of the other aircraft even working in threesomes.
Rob.

Snowy
09-13-2010, 19:37

Catch me if you can Grant!;)

Snowy
09-13-2010, 19:52
From an aircraft stand point, I like more of the Central Powers machines than the Allied. Having said that, I have some favourites on both sides.

As a 'Mutt' myself, I can take any side and get away with it. I have found there are more Allied volunteers than Central powers, so I tend to go the route of most need.

I probably would go all out for the Australian Air service if it wasn't limited in scope. I think our flying Kanga could give that dog in the Camel a run for his money!:)

Raffvantye
10-04-2010, 07:14
Well, family is from Germany, I've a great uncle that flew over Europe in the War to end All Wars, a vonDoering, i know my family's 200+ year old recipie for German Chocolate cake. Did you know that the buttercream coconut frosting is an americanism of the cake? How many coconut trees grow in Germany naturally?

Von Pupp
10-04-2010, 07:38
Germans all the way-they have the most coloured and particular aircrafts
I always enjoy playing with germans, or Japan in WWII mainly because it's much more interesting

Raffvantye
10-04-2010, 07:43
Andre, there were german squadrons that did fly captured spads. Jasta 66 i do believe had a few. I fly one regularly, and repainted one to match.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-04-2010, 10:37
Well, family is from Germany, I've a great uncle that flew over Europe in the War to end All Wars, a vonDoering, i know my family's 200+ year old recipie for German Chocolate cake. Did you know that the buttercream coconut frosting is an americanism of the cake? How many coconut trees grow in Germany naturally?
This is incredible. next time you land at our airfield you must bring the recipe. We will give you a night to remember in return.
Kyte.

LGKR
10-04-2010, 11:22

Oh I'm sure there were coconuts in some land the germans conquered at some point in history. :D

Tomitchoe
10-05-2010, 08:38
I stay with the Belgian airforce... so the alllies have there 92 vote... lol

g.paoletti
10-08-2010, 00:36
Germans forever ... mmhh no, i think allied are better, for sure.

(same old italian dance)

:p

G.

Pope
10-13-2010, 09:18
Have to be the Allies for me, I've never done the Huns in any wargames system that I've played but I do like a lot of the German WW1 planes so that may change in time.

Ed2
10-28-2010, 01:26
Being a Pole, I'd fight on the German side.
But it's funny that every time we went on a two man mission, my wingman would get shot down.
Go figure.

DaveZee
10-28-2010, 07:22
I voted Germany, for a couple reasons:

The in-game names of Klepperman, Kretschmar and Ziegert are all family names.

I am enamored with the Pfalz!

I do enjoy flying allied planes, too, especially my Baracca SPAD and the Snipe (but, who doesn't like flying the Snipe!)

Maniac
10-28-2010, 10:59
Red blooded American boy here, both wars. I have German planes, but will always prefer to fly for the Allies.

I have some German ancestors, I speak some German, and I lived there. Still American all the way through.

The Cowman
11-15-2010, 20:40
I do like to play either side... depends on my mood of the day... but if forced to choose, I typically choose the "Allied" side of things.

I know this is an older poll, but I have been going through some of the older threads and thought I would put in my nickel's worth. :p

McKeever
11-16-2010, 09:19
Allies for me. Specifically the Brits. SE5 is a great WOW mount and I have always been a fan of the F2B

Besides, how can you not be impressed with the RFC individualistic, dazzling airplane color schemes:rolleyes:

Mac

Flying Officer Kyte
11-16-2010, 09:55
Allies for me. Specifically the Brits. SE5 is a great WOW mount and I have always been a fan of the F2B

Besides, how can you not be impressed with the RFC individualistic, dazzling airplane color schemes:rolleyes:

Mac
Look at some of the R.N.A.S. planes Mac.:)
Rob.

McKeever
11-16-2010, 10:00
Yep. Seen them.

Still can't beat the RFC for those renegade paint jobs:D.

MayorJim
11-19-2010, 16:40
Well, the poll probably should have had an "either side" or "don't care" selection. I like flying as Brumowski since he's of Polish descent (like me):)

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/austrhun/brumowski.php

However; even though the CP planes are generally more colorful than those of the Allies, I really don't have a preference...it's all about the GAME :p

RonaldRS
11-23-2010, 07:02
i love the look of the germens but lik to fly the best fighters!

tuladin
12-11-2010, 07:49
O.K. - now that we've chosen up sides, we all have to get together and fight out this 200+ player game! :):):)

Wolf
12-11-2010, 08:58
The German but does not mean I like there idealogy.

RJB
01-02-2011, 15:01
Allied for me, but having just started I am going to get equal numbers of both, that way you're never short of an opponent.

Richard

Chisco
01-13-2011, 08:15
Central Powers side.

The German but does not mean I like there idealogy.

We must not confuse the WWI Germany with Nazi Germany.

grumpybear
01-13-2011, 15:24
British for king and country. Gaming like german because of colours and liberal use of them.

gully_raker
01-13-2011, 17:27
I am one the German ones. My family is originally from Bavaria. My full name is Christoph Heinrich Hintze. My dad was Frederick Mohr Hintze. Not much doubt there.

Christoph

Now that is a great name for a WW1 German Pilot!

Whilst I will by choice fly Australian or British Aircraft I just "love" the colour schemes of the German ones.
If i ever get my hands on Shaeffers Fok DV11 I want to repaint the Blue section & add my own insignia.Even have a name picked out for the pilot. Ltn Bruno von Hincksman which is as close I can get to my Aussie name Barry Hickson. lol.

gully_raker
01-13-2011, 17:28
i love the look of the germens but lik to fly the best fighters!

Mate that Fokker DV11 is right up there with the best!

Badin23
01-29-2011, 07:16
Definitely conflicted on this one, mothers side is English, fathers side is German. Guess I'll go with my avatar!

Bartman
04-30-2011, 21:10
I'm just seeing this poll for the first time.

I voted Allies and thought the results would be a run-away.

I am surprised at how many German votes there are. Sehr Interessant!

Hunter
05-03-2011, 19:23
On my profile page I put that I flew for Entente because I had 1 DrI and thre DVa's while I had a myriad of Entente. So I played them in the Entente. Since then I acquired all of the CP planes and enjoy being the bad guy. as all the other pilots want to be Entente. I've found that I prefer being a Central Powers pilot!

Okie
09-03-2011, 00:07
I prefer the German planes but since Rickenbacher was a childhood hero I must go Allies!! :):D:p:thumbsup: Okie

flyingryno
09-03-2011, 01:15
I'm of old High German heritage but fourth generation American. I stick with my heart. Born and bred in old good old US of A. I've taken my pledge, and a man of my word. I did not pledge to any one man but to a Flag, an idea, a belief. Semper Fi to hell with rest of you.

Nightbomber
09-03-2011, 01:27
It's a game of course and a hobby so we should treat this thread like this. Since I was born in a town which belonged to the Kaiser's Germany during WWI and many of the buildings and sites are well preserved resembling those days, it's like a travel back in time for me a bit. If I was born 70 years earlier in the same town...

...and MvR was born 90 km north of my hometown, no kidding.

Ed2
09-03-2011, 09:25
It's a game of course and a hobby so we should treat this thread like this. .
Dziękuję. :pint:

Is MvR's home still there? If you are ever near it, please post pictures.

itchy
09-03-2011, 11:22
German because of my ancestry and all those pretty aircraft

Archidamus
09-04-2011, 03:58
Entente in WWI for me - although I do fly Central Powers from time to time (and will be doing so this afternoon)

Kenny43
09-04-2011, 05:49
My blood runs red, white, and blue! Plus I'm of Scotch-Irish, and Italian decent. Entente it is for me! Now, I have to run...need to check some ammo before I go shoot down the hun.

Пилот
07-19-2013, 15:27
Entente/Allies, obviously.

But, I don't mind playing Centrals/Axis, too :)

flyingryno
07-19-2013, 16:03
Both axis allie Who ever, it doesn't matter to me

Brambo
07-19-2013, 16:42
I'm British through and through, and did 36 years in the Royal Air Force but I fly for the Germans. I love the shape of the Albatros and yes they are more colourful. I even play Flames of War using the Germans! Panthers, Tigers need I say more.... When I move to WOG WW2 it will be German also, ME109, Stuka..... Now Sails of Glory I will be British :slysmile:

Diamondback
07-19-2013, 21:44
Is "Blackwater Mercenary, flying for the highest bidder" an option? LOL

Marechallannes
07-20-2013, 01:15
Thread necromancers at work... ;)

alpine
07-20-2013, 22:45
I just have to choose the allies. Don't get me wrong, the Germans have some GORGEOUS planes, but I can't go against my own side. :salute:

Lt. S.Kafloc
07-21-2013, 06:49
Fly both, prefer German, but who cares its the game that counts and of course meeting all the new comrades in arms on this site. To the bar...I'm a ringing that bell.

:drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks:

:sick:

:singin::singin::singin::singin::singin::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

:surrender:

john snelling
07-22-2013, 07:15
May favorite is the A-H. Underdogs that did the best with what they had. For having so many different cultures and staying together is a major undertaking. Only if the assination did not take place. A-H could of became the United States of Europe (USE).

Teaticket
10-14-2013, 19:44
I'm torn as I'm half German, half French-Canadian (Bavarian grandmother, Saxon grandfather) but I usually fly Entante.

milcoll73
07-17-2014, 19:38
fi were talking game wise, germany as the fokker dvii is my favorite A/C of the war. my family heritage is mostly german sp i tend to pick germany if thats an option. i like flying allied A/C sometimes but always tend to return to germanA/C.

now if were talking real world (ie time machine) is USA all the way!!!!! i had a great uncle in the air service, emmet dowty. i only have a pic of him in his uniform which shows an air service wing & prop collar pin but no wings of any type so i dont think he was aircrew.

milcoll73
07-17-2014, 19:47
Much to our regret your forefathers didn't choose German as your language. International contacts would have been way more easy - at least for us Germans. ;)

i wish they had chosen german, ive always wanted to learn it. i know a few words picked over the years and what was handed down through the family, ie high german and low german (forgive the spelling) "sprichen zee de deutch" and "canz du deutch sprechen". i think many german would be surprised how much americans (at least in this area) know about germany, but with local town names like new bremen and minster i guess its not all that surprising.

milcoll73
07-17-2014, 20:08
"I am a [jelly] donut". (Points to the people who know what that means!)[/QUOTE]

i will join you for one......in berlin.......by the wall.......with jack :cheezy:

milcoll73
07-17-2014, 20:10
Thread necromancers at work... ;)

would that be the "writing dead"? :cheezy:

milcoll73
07-17-2014, 20:55
Germans forever ... mmhh no, i think allied are better, for sure.

(same old italian dance)

:p

G.

hahahahahhaha :clap: that just means you get the best of both worlds ;)

milcoll73
07-17-2014, 21:12
O.K. - now that we've chosen up sides, we all have to get together and fight out this 200+ player game! :):):)

thats the best suggestion ive heard ALL day!!!!:clap:

Greywolf
07-24-2014, 02:55
I went the German side Eastern front DoW mainly due to the Stuka and Bf109 Son has gone allies with the Russians using lend lease planes.

Alan