PDA

View Full Version : WSF My First Painting, Siemens-Schukert DIII

crashx
02-24-2012, 18:38
Well, here is my first real paainting of a miniature. It is a Shapeways Siemens-Schukert DIII. I don't know if it has a historic background, but I like it, and it's all mine to fly!!! ;)

Coog
02-24-2012, 19:10
Looks very good.

bsmith13
02-24-2012, 20:30
Well done!

Zoe Brain
02-24-2012, 22:29
The crosses are perfect. The flaws in the white boundary impossible to detect at over 6", some really good work there. You might consider using some unprinted (ie white) decal paper to make it flawless, but I don't think it's necessary.

The blue fuselage is typical, the grey-green colour on the cowling also found on many aircraft metal parts, struts and so on.

While most had lozenged wings, it's not impossible that some were painted. If painted, the light/prussian blue pattern is found on some other aircraft, so it's plausible it could be on an SSW D.III where photos haven't survived of it. Most aircraft are in that situation, we can only extrapolate from the small number where photos exist. And it looks good, aesthetically.

So yes, your scheme is historically plausible, may be accurate (no-one can tell you it definitely isn't), and the execution of the painting is superior to my own.

I'd say you must be pretty proud of this pretty plane - and you have every cause to be! Well done!

rote Flügel
02-24-2012, 22:40
Looks good Tim... bring it with and we'll see how she flys...

Zoe Brain
02-24-2012, 23:17
To see what I mean when I say "plausible" - this photo (from the "Wolken Kukuksheim Beobachter", Nov 2 1918) would raise few eyebrows.

There'd be arguments as to whether the light colour is the light green found on some aircraft, or the light blue typical of undersides. The dark blue would likely be identified accurately though. There'd be some nice colour profiles generated on such thin evidence, as there have been in the past.

That's your aircraft, as it would have appeared in a photo of the time.

Even not taking into account that it's a "first effort", it's really pretty good. You have a talent for this.

Flying Officer Kyte
02-25-2012, 00:10
I like your plane. For a first effort it is more than acceptable. You should have seen my first.
The crosses look just fine.
We expect perfection on 144 models, and yet when you look closely at the photos of the original aircraft, some of the painting is often quite crude.
The personal Logos were not screen printed on, or transfer prints as they would be today, and relied on the expertise of whoever happened to be a good painter. Even stencils have their limitations, so painting your crosses by hand is an acceptable solution. There is a war on after all.
Rob.

Archidamus
02-25-2012, 00:54
Very nice Tim - should look really good on the table.

eriko76
02-25-2012, 01:01
Very nice, i like this paint scheme!:)

Enrico

Watchdog
02-25-2012, 01:13
A very nice bird.:thumbsup:

Now you are trully doomed as you will find out you just need to paint more and more of them, actually, the more you paint, the more you find you still have to paint... :cheezy:

Niclas
02-25-2012, 01:32
It's a great looking paint job - For a first effort, it spectacular!

/Niclas

Doug
02-25-2012, 01:57
A very nice bird.:thumbsup:

Now you are trully doomed as you will find out you just need to paint more and more of them, actually, the more you paint, the more you find you still have to paint... :cheezy:

I totally agree:surrender:

Zoe Brain
02-25-2012, 03:03
It's a great looking paint job - For a first effort, it spectacular!

What he said.

Oberst Hajj
02-25-2012, 03:36
Very well done for a first one! I like the two tone blue camo as well... looks really good!

crashx
02-25-2012, 04:32
Thanks, all of you are way too kind!! All I can say is that seeing all the machines being posted by Zoe, Rob, my wingman Gunnar, and everyone on this site, all of you have been an inspiration!!! I have had this SS since October trying to decide the paint scheme (and build the courage to paint it!!), and watched what everyone was posting. Zoe, thanks for the picture, "I like it", but all the pictures of SS's I have seen had the lozenge pattern. I like Albatross patterns and thought I would do something different and fun for my personal machine, but had no idea of a real SS having a similar pattern. Now you guys and girls have to help me find out the pilot in Zoe's picture!!! I have a new mission!!! God, I love this site!!!!!

Marechallannes
02-25-2012, 05:16
Looks great, Timothy!:clap:

somaliavet
02-25-2012, 05:41
Thats a great job, especially for a first timer! Well done!

The Cowman
02-25-2012, 05:59
Nicely Done Timothy!!

Pseudotheist
02-25-2012, 06:32
Now you guys and girls have to help me find out the pilot in Zoe's picture!!!
Unless I'm mistaken, that would be Timothy "Crashx". I'm pretty sure it's a photoshop of one of the pictures you posted. I didn't figure it out till halfway through the post either...

jbmacek
02-25-2012, 07:18
Sweet! Job well done!

Blackronin
02-25-2012, 07:24
Very, very good for a first one! Nice blue! Amazing crosses.

Zoe Brain
02-25-2012, 08:33
Unless I'm mistaken, that would be Timothy "Crashx". I'm pretty sure it's a photoshop of one of the pictures you posted. I didn't figure it out till halfway through the post either...

You're not mistaken. It's a photoshop (actually GIMP - freeware) of one of the pictures, modified to give the grainy low-rez image of a typical newspaper clipping from the era.

Pilot is FltLt Anders Etwas.

German speakers would recognise the name of the newspaper as the "Cloud Cuckoo-Land Observer".
I better be careful, or this faked picture could make its way into a textbook on the plane. Similar things have happened before.

But it just shows how good the original paint-job is.

Dwarflord22
02-25-2012, 08:47
Nice paint scheme! :thumbsup::clap: