PDA

View Full Version : Tide of Iron

afilter
01-27-2010, 10:49
Since I started the thread on Memoir 44(I do not own yet) I figured I would start a thread on Tide of Iron (ToI) as well. Someone gave me ToI and I received the expansions for X-mas, so I am excited to get a few games under my belt now that I have digested the rules. ToI is a FFG game, so like WoW it also has a great support site:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=8

Where Memoir 44 seems very simple (a Step above Risk) ToI seems to go into a bit more detail (true Wargame feel at the squad level) which also takes a bit more time to play (1-4 hours depending on the scenario).

Here is a nice video produced by FFG which give and overview of ToI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJcegCLKrk

I have yet to play a full out game, but would welcome any others thoughts and ideas on the game.

TIA,

Aaron

Papavader
01-27-2010, 14:25
I like the Normandy expansion...
With Destructable Buildings, and Wether check, the Commander decks are Great too... And of course the King Tigers.
I like to play ToI with my Miniatur Tanks in scale 1\144 looks nice :)
Some of them are on my album.

We did paly alot of the mini scenarios, which take still 2-4 hours..
But i like the squad idea, in tide of Iron. That is the strong point I love in tide of Iron. :)

But one more is to advise, the "Designer Series Book", with over 20 Scenarios from famous War Game Designers.
The Scenarios are well Ballanced, better than some in the Scenario books of Tide of Iron.

And this is in my opinion the weak point to Memoir 44 , it is difficult to create your own Scenario in ToI.
Because of the balancing....it is very hard find the right mixture

Greet's

Andreas

afilter
01-28-2010, 17:20
Played my first scenario tonight:

"Chain of Command":
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/tide-of-iron/media/toiscen_chainofcommand.pdf

I played the U.S. and my 12 yr old son played the Germans.....he kicked my Butt. :)

Vehicles do not hold up well to infantry....who new.:rolleyes:

Great time though.

Papavader
01-29-2010, 02:44
I play it twice,...
For the Germans, and for the Americans...
I loose both of them,....:D
The Halftracks are Blown away, since I played the US.
And with the Germans my dice rolls were bad too ;)

But it was is fun.

Greet's

Andreas

The Blue Baron
01-29-2010, 03:48
Same question I asked for memoir: how many players can play ToI?

afilter
01-29-2010, 06:09
Same question I asked for memoir: how many players can play ToI?

It is designed for 2-4 players

Dorb
01-29-2010, 18:26
Once again, have it and the Fox expansion. Read it, yet to play.

afilter
01-29-2010, 19:24
Once again, have it and the Fox expansion. Read it, yet to play.

That is where I was....recieved ToI in Oct in a trade...finally read it and just played it. Played 5 games in the last 3 days...Great Times!

sparty
02-03-2010, 09:18
ToI is great.

There's a place in my collection for complete collections of both M'44 & ToI.

A lot of people play the 'This or That' game with those two games since they are on the surface the same game.

I've found that they cater to two very different audiences. It's possible to get almost anyone to play and enjoy M'44. ToI takes a bit of a different crowd to enjoy becuase of the slightly amped up complexity.

In my opinion, I like ToI better. The time to set up both games is roughly the same once you get the hang of ToI squad building. Don't be fooled by the "customization" options for your squads...there's really only a few combos that work well and most scenarios are pretty clear on what those should be given the terrain and objectives.

ToI takes significantly longer to play, but I always feel like I'm in complete control of that play. Sometimes in M'44 I feel shoehorned into a strategy or pacing I wouldn't have naturally made. It's just a different kind of game though so I can't fault it.

Have fun with Tide of Iron though!!! Get the map pack so you can make some mega scenarios. That's a lot of fun. Normandy + Base + Map Pack = GIANT boards. I'm still holding out hope that the next game from FFG is the Eastern Front expansion!!!

afilter
02-03-2010, 09:49
ToI is great.

There's a place in my collection for complete collections of both M'44 & ToI.

A lot of people play the 'This or That' game with those two games since they are on the surface the same game.

I've found that they cater to two very different audiences. It's possible to get almost anyone to play and enjoy M'44. ToI takes a bit of a different crowd to enjoy becuase of the slightly amped up complexity.

In my opinion, I like ToI better. The time to set up both games is roughly the same once you get the hang of ToI squad building. Don't be fooled by the "customization" options for your squads...there's really only a few combos that work well and most scenarios are pretty clear on what those should be given the terrain and objectives.

ToI takes significantly longer to play, but I always feel like I'm in complete control of that play. Sometimes in M'44 I feel shoehorned into a strategy or pacing I wouldn't have naturally made. It's just a different kind of game though so I can't fault it.

Have fun with Tide of Iron though!!! Get the map pack so you can make some mega scenarios. That's a lot of fun. Normandy + Base + Map Pack = GIANT boards. I'm still holding out hope that the next game from FFG is the Eastern Front expansion!!!

Completely agree!

Memoir 44 is on my buy list. Just taught my 10 yr old daughter to play "Battle cry" last night and she loved it after only one game. Prior to that WoW and Risk were the only "wargames" she ever played. Memoir 44 is basically "Battle cry" with some more details and tons of expansions.

I have seen the either or comparison as well, which is why I never understood Memoir 44 until I learned it was the same game designer as "Battle cry" and others. Same era as ToI, but completely different game style.

BTW, FFG recently posed on their site that something new is coming for ToI.... "stay tuned" is what they posted. Many assume the much anticipated Easter Front will be next. I will be good with that or a Pacific version. ;)

sparty
02-03-2010, 10:02
The rumor is that Battle Cry! is going to get a remake for the upcoming 150th anniversary of the American Civil War. Given the massive changes that Borg's system has gone through between Battle Cry! and CC:Ancients (and now Napoleonics) I think it'll be a huge hit.

I used to be able to get my wife to play Battle Cry! but the dice betrayed her a few too many games and that was that...

A Pacific version of ToI would be interesting. I'd love to see them incorporate air power somehow into the system in a more meaningful way than M'44 did. For example, I'd like to see air squadrons represented like infantry squads but on altitude pegs or something.

afilter
02-03-2010, 10:10
The rumor is that Battle Cry! is going to get a remake for the upcoming 150th anniversary of the American Civil War. Given the massive changes that Borg's system has gone through between Battle Cry! and CC:Ancients (and now Napoleonics) I think it'll be a huge hit.

I used to be able to get my wife to play Battle Cry! but the dice betrayed her a few too many games and that was that...

A Pacific version of ToI would be interesting. I'd love to see them incorporate air power somehow into the system in a more meaningful way than M'44 did. For example, I'd like to see air squadrons represented like infantry squads but on altitude pegs or something.

Not sure how they would do AIR for ToI....maybe something like AAM does where it just shows up and attacks as ToI is down to the squad tactical level I am not sure how it would fit in the movement scheme.

A remake of Battle cry would be great. I actaully just aquired it a few months ago on Ebay, so we have not been playing long.

Pacific would be great....so many possibilities....Beach landings....Naval Gunfire....Marines.....etc.