PDA

View Full Version : 1/144 scale role call

Oberst Hajj
01-27-2010, 10:01
I'd like to get a list going of everyone that plays Dawn of War using 1/144 scale models and/or miniatures out there. If you also play using other scales, that's fine too, go ahead and put your name down. I would just like a head count so that we might be able to work together on some of the issues with playing in this scale.

1. Col. Hajj
2. RedBaron
3. richard m schwab

Baron
01-27-2010, 13:31
1. Col. Hajj
2. RedBaron

Details: aircraft 1/144 or 12mm (mostly japanese manufacturers and WoW planes for ww1); land vehicles 1/100 or 15mm (AAM minis, they fit well with the 12mm planes - I recommend you do not use the same scale for planes and vehicles, because planes are so much bigger then); terrain & buildings (15-12mm). Games I play with the minis: AAM, WoW, FoW.

richard m schwab
01-31-2010, 04:27
Add me to your list of 1:144 scale DOW players. Furuta Choco Egg Curtis Hawk.

Roger Wilco
06-14-2010, 23:32
You can add me to the role call, I've got tons of the buggers in 1/144

Guntruck
06-15-2010, 01:14
And me.

So far I've stuck to a few Spits, Hurri's and 109s. I'd love to use DoW to give an added lease of life to my 70-odd Russo-Finnish Winter/Continuation war stuff, but the chances of getting the DoW stats for the obscure stuff is very unlikely.

PAV
06-15-2010, 01:55
Add olso me to the list...

I have 10 bombers 1/144 and I'm looking for fighters

I'm olso preparing about 16 1/72 planes for fight but I don't have enough time :(

Have a nice fly

FLt Brown
06-15-2010, 07:25
You can put me down I am building Spitfires, B17f, Ju88 and of course Lancasters on that note as anyone got any stats on the bombers, movement decks etc as it could be along time before we see the big guys in a WofW WW2 set?

HardRock
06-15-2010, 12:23
I have mostly modern jets, but a few WWII kits. Waiting to get a pair of Zeros to play with my F-14's, ala "Final Countdown". :eek:

Henry

richard m schwab
06-16-2010, 18:50
Kevin!
Some shots of Minicraft Lancaster.

Rich

kaufschtick
06-17-2010, 19:17
You know I'm in. I'm working on a pair of 1/144 scale BattleFront P-40Es right now, doing them up as Aluetian Tigers. First time I've printed my own decales, not too bad so far. :)

The pic below is not one of mine, just what the Aluetian tiger P-40s look like.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/kaufschtick/Message%20Board%20Pics/GMP3502703.jpg

I had to print my own little teensy decale for the Tiger Head, and they aren't too bad. Not done with mine yet, but soon.

richard m schwab
06-18-2010, 15:59
Rob!

That sounds like a great project. What decal film are you going to use? I picked up the Testors decal kit and made a couple of samples. Their film seems very thick. It took me at least 6 applications of Microscale Micro Set to get the film to lay right.
This is off subject but have you gone to the Origins Game Fair?:confused: Litko sent me a mail saying they would be there. Here is the link.

Rich

http://www.originsgamefair.com/

kaufschtick
06-18-2010, 17:36
Rob!

That sounds like a great project. What decal film are you going to use? I picked up the Testors decal kit and made a couple of samples. Their film seems very thick. It took me at least 6 applications of Microscale Micro Set to get the film to lay right.
This is off subject but have you gone to the Origins Game Fair?:confused: Litko sent me a mail saying they would be there. Here is the link.

Rich

http://www.originsgamefair.com/

Hmm, next weekend.

Might go, I wouldn't mind checking out the Litko stuff.

I was thinking more about going to GenCon to see if FFG releases the next ToI expansion, Fury of the Bear, then.

Experts-Choice (TM) is what film I used. It seems to be way thin, but it adheared pretty good.

VitaClear transfer coat, the spray stuff you have to spray the paper with. I just realized it says "for use exclusively on VitaCal paper"...

Oh, well. That's what the guys at HobbyLand set me up with, I think it was the only paper (film?) and overcoat they had anyway. It worked, so...

But the color of the decale was way weak, and I had to back paint under where the decale was going to get the yellow color to show up.

I have an Aluetian Tiger in 1/72 scale, and the color of the Tiger's Head wasn't so yellow as in the picture I posted. It was more of an orange-yellow, and that is the color I went with for my 1/144 scale Aluetian Tigers too.

I was even thinking of printing up a second set of decales and decale over the first ones to see if I can get the colors and details to show up a bit better.

The decales looked great on the paper, but when I slid them off, they looked too transparent. I did use clear film.

So then I though if I used white film, that the colors would show up better. So I went and got white film, and the decales printed terribly! I gave up on the white film.

richard m schwab
06-19-2010, 15:03
Rob!
I am going to be in that part of the world next weekend. I might try to get there myself, just to see the Litko people.
You have describe the major problem with making your own decals. I have heard of people trying to double print decals just to get the yellow dark enough. I would rather go real thin compared to window cling thickness film.:mad:

Rich

kaufschtick
06-19-2010, 16:52
Rob!
I am going to be in that part of the world next weekend. I might try to get there myself, just to see the Litko people.
You have describe the major problem with making your own decals. I have heard of people trying to double print decals just to get the yellow dark enough. I would rather go real thin compared to window cling thickness film.:mad:

Rich
Well, by back painting under where the decale was going on, they will work with the first decale, I was just toying with the idea of "upgrading" the look.

The film was only like $6.80 for three 8x11 sheets, which the fellas at HobbyLand told me to test print on a piece of paper where the decales are going to print, then just cut out enough film to tape over that area in order to maximize the use of the film. So I'd say that between the clear and the white film I have (about $17.00), and the can over overcoat (I think it was like $8.99), and the fact that I'm mainly working in 1/144 scale now, that I'm pretty well set for a good long while on "do-it-yourself" decale supplies. :)

ara398
06-27-2010, 01:34
I've just joined and I really don't want to speak out of turn - but the FFG WWII minis leave me cold, so its 1/144 for me!

Regards,
Adrian
Australia

Oberst Hajj
06-27-2010, 02:43
No worries man, you are among friends here!

Max von Clickenhoff
06-27-2010, 12:50
You can put me down for the old 1/144 Col http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/images/smilies/salute.gif

Colschaeffer
06-28-2010, 12:58
I play in 1/144 Dawn of war, absolutely.

Canuckman
06-30-2010, 20:11
I have been buying the DoW minis slowly as I play more of WWI but then I found a bunch of prepainted 1/144 mini planes at a toy sale including bombers, so I am thinking of switching, or ignoring the scale altogether and just using the base.

Oberst Hajj
06-30-2010, 21:13
Ken, welcome to the site. The DoW bases work just fine for the 1/144 scale fighters. You will run into issues with the bombers though. Feel free to check out the Aerodrome Accessories link at the top of the page for a way to solve that problem.

Capt. DeLorme
07-02-2010, 20:42
I'm new. I stumbled onto the site while looking for a Red Baron DR1 that isn't $60USD. When I saw the Liberator on the stand, my decision was made.

I broke the piggy bank open to buy some 1:144 17s and ME-262s tonight. Then I notice the B-17 bases are just now available. I think I just found a new home on the web. :-)

Oberst Hajj
07-02-2010, 21:36
Welcome to the Aerodrome Mike, why don't you make an intro post in the Report For Duty section so all the guys can meet you.

crhkrebs
07-21-2010, 06:59
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member, and this is my first post.

I'm doing WW2 in the Early War Pacific. I'm OK for the 1/144 Japanese side but I need some planes for the Dutch KNIL forces. I have some Hawker Hurricanes. I'll probably pick up some True North Miniatures Brewster Buffaloes and the Dutch decals from Old Glory at Fall-In this October. Does anyone make the Dutch Fokker biplane in 1/144 scale?

I'd like to link air battles with my 15mm Japanese and KNIL ground forces, but haven't figured out all the details yet (maybe a simplified cross between WOW and FOW)

Anyways this is a great site and a great resource.

Ralph

richard m schwab
07-21-2010, 09:22
Welcome Ralph!

Happy to have you in the the group. I have a link for you to try Hobby Link Japan for you plane search. They have several lines of 144 scale planes.

Rich

http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?rel=nav&GenreCode=Air&MacroType=MilPro&Scale=144

kaufschtick
07-21-2010, 16:22
I have a link for you to try Hobby Link Japan for you plane search. They have several lines of 144 scale planes.

Rich

http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?rel=nav&GenreCode=Air&MacroType=MilPro&Scale=144

They also have a little company on there that has 1/144 scale Russian LaGG-3 fighters that are coming soon! I'll definately be getting 2, maybe even 4 of those!:cool:

crhkrebs
07-22-2010, 12:14
I have a link for you to try Hobby Link Japan for you plane search.

Thanks, Richard

Ralph

kaufschtick
07-22-2010, 19:29
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member, and this is my first post.

I'm doing WW2 in the Early War Pacific. I'm OK for the 1/144 Japanese side but I need some planes for the Dutch KNIL forces. I have some Hawker Hurricanes. I'll probably pick up some True North Miniatures Brewster Buffaloes and the Dutch decals from Old Glory at Fall-In this October. Does anyone make the Dutch Fokker biplane in 1/144 scale?

Ralph

If I remeber Saburo Sakai's (I probably just spelt that wrong) book Samurai!, I recall him describing tearing through the Dutch fighters in the Dutch East Indies, who were flying mainly Curtiss P-36 Hawks. I think the export version they had were called A75s, or something like that.

Here the link to HLJ, looks like French & it says Finnish decales.

http://www.hlj.com/product/KADMMFT-038

TRENCHFOOT
09-26-2010, 12:23
Hello Col.,
You can add me to the list for 1/144th Scale Players.

Currently gathering enough aircraft for a squadron of HE-111 and Junkers 88's.

Battle of Britain games will be fun.

Warhorse47
03-05-2011, 18:42
Getting started here. too.

Baldrick62
04-08-2011, 13:18
Downscaling from 1/72 shelfware to 1/144 gaming pieces. DoW gave me the inspiration to rekindle my WWII interest, so am now building up 1940 Battle of Britain and 1942 Air Defence of Australia minis.

richard m schwab
04-10-2011, 05:16
Baldrick!

Look at some shots of my own 144 scale BOB builds.

Rich

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=218

Warhorse47
04-10-2011, 14:00
Those look great

Baldrick62
04-10-2011, 14:10
Rich, great work, and mass is everything so multiple aircraft of the same type look the part.

richard m schwab
04-10-2011, 14:41
Thank you!

The bombers are all Minicraft kits i picked up at local model club shows. One dealer had most of them at a great price, i think averaged $3.00 each. The fighters are Sweet Hurricanes mixed with some old Arii kits and the Spitfires are old Revell kits. The German fighters are a mix of Minicraft, Revel and Sweet kits! Do not miss any local model club swap meets or shows, counting the Sweet kits that sell two for $15.00 i averaged less than $3.00 each for the fighters.

Rich

Diamondback
04-10-2011, 15:14
Pencil me in as "open to possibilities", despite that virtually the extent of what's available are exquisite but super-limited-availability Japanese "gashopon" collectibles or Minicraft crap (more "representational", sometimes with features taken from multiple versions, than "accurate").

richard m schwab
04-11-2011, 16:24
Diamondback

I have a good collection of Japanese planes. There are some nice releases in the Big Bird and other pre painted series. You are right some of the other manufactures like Crown, Arii and some old Fujimi lack a lot. Here is a great source for Japanese kits!

rich
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist

Diamondback
04-13-2011, 21:41
Rich, I've drooled over tons of the "Big Bird" and similar-grade releases at HLJ for years, just that the "windows of opportunity" to buy are usually so damn short.

richard m schwab
04-14-2011, 14:18
Diamondback!

Here is a good source for 144 scale planes. The rarer the more expensive. When anew group come out he normally has a great price on them. He gives great service i have ordered from him several times, without problem #1.

Rich

http://stores.ebay.com/7TOYS7/WWI-II-Japan-/_i.html?_fsub=16791350&_sid=5821466&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

kaufschtick
04-14-2011, 18:21
Diamondback!

Here is a good source for 144 scale planes. The rarer the more expensive. When anew group come out he normally has a great price on them. He gives great service i have ordered from him several times, without problem #1.

Rich

http://stores.ebay.com/7TOYS7/WWI-II-Japan-/_i.html?_fsub=16791350&_sid=5821466&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I'll second that, I've had great service with this seller also. There are quite a few good sellers on E-Bay.

richard m schwab
04-17-2011, 06:08
Rob!
His prices have gone up a bit recently, but then again who`s haven't.

Rich

kaufschtick
04-17-2011, 17:44
Rob!
His prices have gone up a bit recently, but then again who`s haven't.

Rich

Yeah, I heard that. :)

Check this out. So I go to Hobbyland way out on East Broad street. My old Silverado only gets about 16.7 miles to the gallon. I hit the trip meter for the round trip out and back. Just under 38 miles. gas is $3.75 here. It was about 2 and a quarter gallons of gas, which comes out to about $8.44 fuel for the hobbystore run. The two LaGG-3s were $5.50 each with about another 75 cents for sales tax. So for the two kits, it cost me $8.44 in fuel plus $11.75, for a total of $20.19.

I marked on my favorites on E-Bay a seller who is selling the LaGG-3s for $4.50 each, with shipping running $3.99. Usually, if you buy more than one, I think the shipping goes down a little for the multiples you buy past one, but for the sake of comparison, let's just say this seller charged me $3.99 shipping for each kit.

Had I bought two from him (he was in MI), it would have cost me $16.98 to have them brought to my front door, all the way from Michigan! :eek:

Explain that to me! (Other than I need to get a vehicle with better fuel milage and move to a state that does not charge sales tax! ;) )

I noticed the same thing the last time gas was high a couple years ago. I could actually get items sent to me from Japan for a buck or two cheaper than if I drove down the street to my local hobby store! ;)

richard m schwab
04-19-2011, 18:49
Rob!

You are right. Locally there is one general Hobby Shop and it`s a national chain, who carry few thing i buy. We just lost a Norfolk Hobby Shop that has operated under different owners and different locations since the 1950`s. So i do mail order get what i want, and when i want it!

This being tax season! When i did mine i was asked to pay tax on mail order items, this is a totally voluntarily tax in Virginia. There are no no volunteers to pay it. We had a Governor why thought the internet should be taxed, along with things purchased on it. The last time i read the U S Constitution States could not tax the interstate mail. We in Virginia are used to idiots passing laws that unconstitutional. They pass three or four a year that are thrown out in court or simply ignored!

Rich

Dark Horse
01-12-2012, 23:59
Just gearing up for this scale - have some planes basically ready but have not got around to having a game yet! I will use the card decks as they are.

Hunter
01-13-2012, 03:59
Well Oberst, you can count me in for 1/144 WWII DoW. I have a couple of the official mini's but since the holidays I've purchased several 1/144 scale model kits. I'm ready to help with deck development.

Anyone know where I can get a 1/144 scale Mosquito and Wellington model kits?

richard m schwab
01-14-2012, 05:22
Nigel!

Welcome to the club! The standard cards and both the Aerodrome bases and the Litko system will have your 144 scale planes in the air!

Rich

Baldrick62
01-14-2012, 05:41
Hunter,
Both Bandai and F-Toys do the 1/144 Mosquito as a 'gashapon' model (both FB and B/PR variants); released some years ago so prices tend to be high, but not nearly as high as the Aeroclub limited-run kit! I've only ever seen Wellingtons as metal diecasts from Corgi and the like.
BofB

flash
01-14-2012, 05:55
You mean like this Terry ?
This is an Atlas model of a DH98 - a bomber version

I have a Corgi fighter version too.

richard m schwab
01-14-2012, 14:53
Terry!

Minicraft Lancaster is an option . Look at the link.

Rich

http://www.ehobbies.com/mmi14597.html

kaufschtick
01-16-2012, 20:13
Well Oberst, you can count me in for 1/144 WWII DoW. I have a couple of the official mini's but since the holidays I've purchased several 1/144 scale model kits. I'm ready to help with deck development.

Anyone know where I can get a 1/144 scale Mosquito and Wellington model kits?

E-Bay isn't a bad option, IMHO. I picked up two pair a couple years ago.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/kaufschtick/Allied%20Wings%20of%20War/144Allies070.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/kaufschtick/Allied%20Wings%20of%20War/144Allies067.jpg

BobP
01-19-2012, 13:28
Just saw this thread. I do WWI and WWII. Can't wait for series 3 WWII.

Lloydthegamer
02-17-2012, 13:53
I can finally join this group since I played my first WWII game with 1/144 last Tuesday. It's been a long time getting to it, but finally did it. I've been building 1/144 off and on for 5-6 years, so it really has been along time! Also did my first photo album on my page, Finns and Russians. As my buddies and I play more games I intend to add albums of the games and pics of already built planes.

richard m schwab
02-17-2012, 17:14
Loyd!

WW2 moves a lot much faster! I checked out your album great job on your planes. Reviresco for the most part are they not?

Rich

Lloydthegamer
02-17-2012, 17:32
Rich, the Russians are Reviresco, but the Brewster is a True North plane. I see F-toys has scheduled a Brewster for release this spring. I love plastic and may have to revisit the Finnish camp and add a plane or two.

James Denberger
03-08-2012, 19:47
I've been slowly accumulating some F-toy,Takara, and bandai planes for WWII, as well as a few unbuilt sweet and mincraft kits in some trades.

Just picked up Dawn of War and Fire from the Sky for my Birthday.

I have a handfull of WOW WWII, but I like the variety available in the larger scale.

Has anybody worked up lists of which Diecast and Furutas aircraft will work for 1/144 or 1/200 scale WWII?

James

richard m schwab
03-09-2012, 16:55
James!

I have seen a list Furutas planes and the scale they are in! I will see if i have bookmark for it!

Rich

richard m schwab
03-09-2012, 16:57
James!

I have seen a list Furutas planes and the scale they are in! I will see if i have bookmark for it!

Rich

Mveeder
05-01-2012, 07:54
Reporting for duty as well. Getting ready to start my True North Spits and Thunderbolts!!!!!!!

richard m schwab
05-01-2012, 12:56
Marvin!

I have finished a few of their planes myself! I gave mine two coats of Tamiya primer after a bath of dish soap and a good reinse, it helps keep the paint on!

Rich

BobP
07-25-2012, 15:01
Just got a few 1/144 planes. Zveda Stromovick. I was like a kid in a candy store and didn't pay attention to the others he had. Me109 and LaGG3. Would have had a good Russian front bunch of planes.

BobP
07-27-2012, 14:52
Just picked up a F-Toy Corsair and Me-109 (Romanian). The Roamnian is an easy redo with just some decals.

richard m schwab
07-31-2012, 14:35
Two new planes. I missed Historicon but a friend picked these up. A Sonia and a P-39. The P-39 will be impersonating a P-400 in my games at Guns OF August on 10th and 11th of next month!

Rich

richard m schwab
07-31-2012, 17:07
Two new builds!:thumbsup: They are for games on the 10th and 11th of August.

Rich

mucno716
08-10-2012, 09:22
I think
the 1/144 and 1/72 scales are great. I use the 1/72 for WWI. I use the 1/144 and 1/200 and 300 for the fur balls, in WWII.

Baldrick62
08-10-2012, 10:18
Rich,
I assume the P39 and SONIA are F-TOYS and the PBY and TBF are Minicraft? I just received an ALGERNON PBY, and hadn't appreciated until I saw your photos how big the TBF actually is!
BofB

richard m schwab
08-10-2012, 10:18
Steven

Welcome to the happy crew of 144 scale players!

Rich

richard m schwab
08-10-2012, 10:38
Good guesses all around! Yes the TBF is a large plane.. I believe i read it was one of the largest carrier planes used in WW2. I recently read where they made special long range command TBF`s in 1942, with extra fuel tanks and radio gear.

Rich

Baldrick62
08-10-2012, 10:57
Certainly a versatile airframe (not really surprising given it's size) - some TBMs were even converted to COD and AEW roles!

Lloydthegamer
08-10-2012, 18:36
Rich, I love that big Cat. I've got two in the box waiting for inspiration to hit, or more correctly, a spot in the old project schedule.

richard m schwab
08-10-2012, 19:44
Lloyd

I will get it into a game tomorrow morning. I picked up two and finally built the second one!

Rich

BobP
08-28-2012, 13:08
I just received an order I placed. 2 Avangers/2 P-38's/2 B-24's and 1 Me-110. All Minicraft. I can't believe the size of the B-24. Gives me something to work on over the next few months.

richard m schwab
08-28-2012, 14:38
Bob

That is great news! I wish my to build list was that short. I have around twenty kits to build and some of those are doubles. One box contains two KI-44`s and two J2M Raiden`s Fujimi kits that i picked up cheap. Be care full with the P-38`s. There are no locator pins in the booms and are easy to switch!!!! Also hard to make look good after you glue them!!!! I discovered this the hard way on my first one!

Rich

BobP
08-28-2012, 14:54
Thanks for the info. You guys are way ahead of me. 1/72 scale tank I have much experience with. Wish I had known about this when I was in Okinawa. I could have had many planes like I do tanks. Hope to see you on 22 Sept at the show.

richard m schwab
08-28-2012, 15:16
I go to IPMS shows and check out the vendors. I have picked up most of my 144 planes that way. I found most of my Battle of Britain German bombers for $3.00 each. The 2014 IPMS National convention will be in Hampton Virginia. HLJ, Hobby Link Japan had a booth at the last National here in Virginia Beach. They were selling the Sweet Kits for two boxes for $20 on Thursday. Two for $15 on Friday and three for $20 on Saturday. It has taken me four years to almost finish them. I picked up 15 boxes that week end and the were two kits per box!

Rich

Lloydthegamer
08-28-2012, 16:26
You forgot to mention that the canopy doesn't fit very well either. The P38 is a particularly rough kit to build. Lloyd
Bob

That is great news! I wish my to build list was that short. I have around twenty kits to build and some of those are doubles. One box contains two KI-44`s and two J2M Raiden`s Fujimi kits that i picked up cheap. Be care full with the P-38`s. There are no locator pins in the booms and are easy to switch!!!! Also hard to make look good after you glue them!!!! I discovered this the hard way on my first one!

Rich

BobP
08-28-2012, 16:43
WOW what a find. I so looking forward to that weekend just to have a good time. Check out my TANK album and see what I did last weekend. It was great.

Lloydthegamer
08-28-2012, 17:11
WOW what a find. I so looking forward to that weekend just to have a good time. Check out my TANK album and see what I did last weekend. It was great.

That is an impressive display of armor made even more impressive in that everything ran. I would love to have seen that. Lloyd

richard m schwab
08-28-2012, 18:35
BOB

I am still trying to remember if the tank in shot#2 is a Austrian or Swiss tank? They both made a similar tank in the 80`s.

Rich

mucno716
08-29-2012, 23:32
I have that Minicraft B-24 which is nice. Be careful though the radio bulb is easy to break. I did.

Dark Horse
08-30-2012, 04:31
Just posted some desert Hurricanes. More Pix here:
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?11532-1-144-Desert-Hurricane-IIc-by-Arii

Jager
08-30-2012, 04:47

Bob;
Your tank album looks great (another museum to go to that my wife has no interest in;) ).
Question though: why does your link take me to an Amazon page for Albums (music) by Tank? When I rest the cursor on it, the link says it's "provided by SkimWords"
:confused:
Karl

richard m schwab
08-30-2012, 14:40
Nigel

There appears to be storm over the Desert! They look good!

Rich

Lloydthegamer
08-30-2012, 16:46
Great looking bunch of Hurricanes! Lloyd

skyking20
09-08-2012, 19:29
You can add me to the list although I am just starting. As I mentioned in my other post we did of first game today at 1:200 scale I showed the guys the 1/144 scale stuff I had and they all started drooling! They
Y do that a lot but I still like them!