PDA

View Full Version : Turning less than 60º - how to do it in a acceptable way

Blackronin
02-19-2012, 03:53
Yesterday I played a game with a friend and during that game the Albatros only turn of 60º made us think that there should be a way that we could turn less than the maximum turn allowed by the card. And the Albatros can only turn 60º - a thing that is a little annoying...
So I come up with this rule:

Turning Less - Before anybody plays the cards you must state that you are Turning Less! so that you won't have an unfair advantage over the other players. You start by making the normal turn:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42732&d=1335366106

Then you use the ruler and you put it over the opposite corners of your plane card:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42733&d=1335366116

Finally you adjust your plane to the ruler:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42734&d=1335366128

You have now moved the proper speed but turned 30º instead of 60º, giving the game an extra option without the need of extra cards.

I hope it helps. Was it my paper Albatros explicit enough? :)

Horse4261
02-19-2012, 11:42
Looks great as an option, will have to add this to my house rules. :)

Flying Officer Kyte
02-19-2012, 12:01
What an inspired idea. That is a cracker Joaquim.
Rob.

Blackronin
02-19-2012, 12:25
Thanks, Troy and Rob. And thanks again for the reputation, Rob. You're most kind.

Hunter
02-23-2012, 17:55
Interesting idea. We'll have to play test it and see how it goes.

greenalfonzo
02-23-2012, 20:13
Well, I've *only* ever played using the 'less than a full turn' option, but not quite in the same way with the ruler.

It would be nice if there were more official turn cards with a greater variety of turning gradients.

flash
02-24-2012, 02:47
The geometry seems off to me - looking at the (excellent) photos Joaquim provided the aircraft has turned 60º & then been tweaked to the facing it would have for a 30º turn. In other words it's too far over for a 30º turn, however, I would say that by using the same method (in the example shown) by laying the ruler from the red dot on the card to the arrow on the manoeuvre card & placing the aircraft base alongside of that (as in the photo) than you may get a truer solution.
As I said, I've only looked at this in the photos & haven't tried it out yet so the angle may not be 30º but it will be less that 60º ! :dazed:

Blackronin
02-24-2012, 03:58
The geometry seems off to me - looking at the (excellent) photos Joaquim provided the aircraft has turned 60º & then been tweaked to the facing it would have for a 30º turn. In other words it's too far over for a 30º turn, however, I would say that by using the same method (in the example shown) by laying the ruler from the red dot on the card to the arrow on the manoeuvre card & placing the aircraft base alongside of that (as in the photo) than you may get a truer solution.
As I said, I've only looked at this in the photos & haven't tried it out yet so the angle may not be 30º but it will be less that 60º ! :dazed:

Dave. I understand what you are saying about the geometry, but you must forget for the sake of the 30º turn, the 60º degree turn line. If you ever have piloted a plane you can understand what I'm saying here. I hope my English is good enough to be clear:

Consider nose facing and plane position. In this game and in dogfights nose facing is essential. Your guns are fixed so you must point your plane in the precise direction and that is why the ability to change nose facing is important. A plane can go from the exact position A to "almost" the exact position B by doing a 30º turn or a 60º turn. The main difference is the 30º between nose facing from one plane to the other. One of the pilots turned his plane sharply 60º degrees and the other turned less and slipped his plane to the same position.

But really, what I was looking for, was a believable and easy way to give to all decks a 30º turn, maintaining the proper speed of each deck and giving the player one more tactical choice without the need for another card.

flash
02-24-2012, 12:32
....But really, what I was looking for, was a believable and easy way to give to all decks a 30º turn, maintaining the proper speed of each deck and giving the player one more tactical choice without the need for another card.

As was I. I was only suggesting it as a 30º turn, rather than a 60º degree turn/slip to 30º facing. As I said - I haven't had time to actually do it today (due to a funeral) but maybe I will later - Have you had time to check it out & see if it works? It won't affect the distance travelled just the end position & facing.

Well I've tried it as I suggested it & wasn't happy with it but if you use the ruler like Joaquim does, only inside the arc of fire rather than outside the arc of fire, then you do get the result I envisioned:

(And I'm not even a pilot ;) )

radzak
03-08-2012, 09:57
looks good i'll give it a go

Blackronin
03-08-2012, 10:33
It's a good option, Dave. You loose the arrow as measure, but win as a less wider turn. I'll try it soon.

Blackronin
04-25-2012, 08:06
Re-uploaded the lost photos.

sirosis o liver
04-25-2012, 08:47
great idea am now going to use that thanks

macka321
06-30-2012, 13:37
I like the idea but to be fair you would need to declare or mark it in some way during the card allocation phase (like fast or slow in WW2) rather than when playing the card.
Otherwise its like changing from a turn to straight ahead because you have seen where your target has moved on the previous card/s. (thats the advantage of tailing)
I see no problem if lining up on a fixed target ie a balloon or ground target.

KirkH
02-07-2013, 10:25
I REALLY like the idea of being able to turn less than the cards require, but I also agree it needs to be declared when cards are being selected. If not, it might cause some issues.

KirkH
02-13-2013, 06:52
I've pondered this for a bit and I may have a solution. For one thing, it should be noted that a plane making a 60 degree turn actually travels an equal distance forward as a plane moving in a straight line. This doesn't really make sense since that means in a turn the plane is actually travelling faster than it would in a straight line. That being the case the way I will execute 30 degree turns is to have the player place straight and 60 degree turn cards together when choosing maneuvers. When it comes time to move, place the 60 degree turn card and then place the card/mini on the usual turn end point. without rotating the plane, then move it to a point half way between the turn card end arrow and what would be the end arrow of a straight move. Then rotate the card/mini to a position approximately halfway between straight and the 60 degree turn end point.

It's a lot of words, but is actually pretty simple when you do it.

Пилот
03-14-2013, 03:40
Option is very good. I briefly thought about path shortening some time ago, and now I find this. Me likes it :) Even drawing new lines on the cards is no problem (different speed works in WW2, and should also work here).

Only thing that worried me then was: are planes capable of making those shortened maneuvers?