PDA

View Full Version : Site: Next repaint contest?

Oberst Hajj
02-13-2012, 22:47
So the voting on the D.III challenge is under way and I'm looking towards the next repaint contest. What would you guys and gals like to do next?

Nightbomber
02-13-2012, 22:56
Hmmm... what about "captured aircraft" repaint contest, Herr Oberst?
Voted for Central scout, for the variety of options so far.

Marechallannes
02-13-2012, 22:58
Central twoseater, no doubt. :salute:

Rat of Vengence
02-14-2012, 00:12
Captured aircraft is good, I can have another shot at my D.iii :D

Dave

Zoe Brain
02-14-2012, 00:25
1. Seaplanes
2. Captured Aircraft
3. Red Star/White Roundel - aircraft in the east, 1919-1925. (Polish, Ukraine, Freikorps, Soviet, etc)

David Manley
02-14-2012, 00:35
Seaplanes, aye

rote Flügel
02-14-2012, 00:40
Captured would be cool.. or maybe.. Sopwith Camels?? those should have been easy enough to come across.. or maybe .. Nieuports.. or SPAD XIIIs.. all could be fun...

Oberst Hajj
02-14-2012, 01:56
As the site is geared towards promoting the game and company, I'm inclined to lean towards either only types that have official minis released (a bit limiting I know) or at least to official cards.

If we do something like Seaplanes, it will essentially mean anyone that does not do Shapeways or Kits can not partake in the contest.

Oberst Hajj
02-14-2012, 01:58
I'd also like to add that I think I will keep the contests limited to a specific type of plane as well. I think that was one of the main reason we had so many join this current contest. It also levels the field in that everyone is working with the same canvas.

Flying Officer Kyte
02-14-2012, 02:05
I voted for Central-Two seaters because it gives more scope for interesting colour schemes and I feel that the Central Scouts have had a lot of exposure on the Drome in any case.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
02-14-2012, 02:11
I voted for Central-Two seaters because it gives more scope for interesting colour schemes and I feel that the Central Scouts have had a lot of exposure on the Drome in any case.
Rob.

Yes, the Central scouts do get a lot of love, but that's only because the Entente mostly just painted them green :( There are exceptions of course and I'd personally like to do a Nieuport repaint contest. Some nice subjects in that category we could have fun with!

Nightbomber
02-14-2012, 02:36
Nieuports, Nieuports yes, yes, yes:thumbsup: - CAPTURED Nieuports:lol: (joking).

Oberst Hajj
02-14-2012, 03:52
Well, I only specify the type of plane, not who flew it ;)

David Manley
02-14-2012, 04:02
If we do something like Seaplanes, it will essentially mean anyone that does not do Shapeways or Kits can not partake in the contest.

True, but then again the D.III contest was limited to those who bought a Shapeways or F Toys model, or who could afford the stoopid prices that Nexus D.IIIs go for these days :D

I suppose a scratch-building contest would be out of the question? I've seen some real skill here from those who choose to make their models from balsa, card and wire. Not something i could compete in myself I think, but I reckon you'd get some awesome entries.

Oberst Hajj
02-14-2012, 04:25
True, but then again the D.III contest was limited to those who bought a Shapeways or F Toys model, or who could afford the stoopid prices that Nexus D.IIIs go for these days :D

I suppose a scratch-building contest would be out of the question? I've seen some real skill here from those who choose to make their models from balsa, card and wire. Not something i could compete in myself I think, but I reckon you'd get some awesome entries.

Not at all. Many of use have extra D.IIIs we picked up for normal prices. Also, at least two of us used ~$10 F Toys models. In fact, I order an F Toys to replace the one I was going to use for this contest... $12 shipped to me.

One option we might have, is to offer up a prize that could replace the one the painted? For example, if I did a Nieuport 17/23 repaint contest, I could let the winner pick from the 3 official ones as their prize. That does not help those that do not win though! lol

HTRAINo
02-14-2012, 04:41
Maybe have a runner up prize for 2nd place, and 3rd place (even if it's a forum medal or something).

Voted on Entente Scout, not that I am entering... just want to see some awesome paint jobs for the Allies!

David Manley
02-14-2012, 05:10
Not at all. Many of use have extra D.IIIs we picked up for normal prices.

I wasn't being entirely serious as I hope you noticed. That said I was surprised that you decided to use an F Toys one rather than a Nexus one :)

If its not a silly question, have you thought about a WW2 contest?

Oberst Hajj
02-14-2012, 05:21
Maybe have a runner up prize for 2nd place, and 3rd place (even if it's a forum medal or something).

I've been thinking about this...

I wasn't being entirely serious as I hope you noticed. That said I was surprised that you decided to use an F Toys one rather than a Nexus one :)

If its not a silly question, have you thought about a WW2 contest?

Yes, I know you were not serious about it... at least not entirely :D Honestly, my supply of Nexus D.IIIs is rather low at the moment and I'm saving those for prizes at later dates (closer to when we know what is going to be reprinted and what is not). I do have several more in the works, but it will be weeks before they land in this country I think.

somaliavet
02-14-2012, 05:54
For what its worth, I'm liking the Nieuport repaint idea.

grumpybear
02-14-2012, 05:59
I voted central two seater, but would enjoy any as these contests are a lot of fun.

Guntruck
02-14-2012, 06:05
Central 2-seaters, although if limited to official models will narrow down the options somewhat.

Flying Officer Kyte
02-14-2012, 07:59

Not quite true Dave because some of us do make Skytrex or Reverisco models as well, and for us that means even more work before the painting part, but I do take your point. Then I'm only in it for the free G&T from the winner after the contest anyway.

Kyte.

Rob.

wargamer
02-14-2012, 08:38
Hmm, how bout a post war barnstorming version of a specific aircraft?

Flying Officer Kyte
02-14-2012, 08:54

That's fine Al, but a bit of a waste of a plane, if you intend to fly it in games later.
Rob.

Guntruck
02-14-2012, 08:54

A Savage Skywriting SE5a sounds like fun

Niclas
02-14-2012, 09:07
As the site is geared towards promoting the game and company, I'm inclined to lean towards either only types that have official minis released (a bit limiting I know) or at least to official cards.

I'd also like to add that I think I will keep the contests limited to a specific type of plane as well. I think that was one of the main reason we had so many join this current contest. It also levels the field in that everyone is working with the same canvas.

Should I interpret these as that the 'Central Two-Seater' option above actually means only one particular plane (from the range produced by Nexus), rather than any Central two-seater?

I really liked the seaplane Idea, by the way - Think I'd like to make a Sopwith-Bat Boat. How can you not love a name like that?
To the Bat Boat!

/Niclas

wargamer
02-14-2012, 09:08
Well, barnstormers could be used in races, simulated fights (as stunt flying in movies), and I am sure that there would be other competitive roles I haven't remembered or dreamed of.

At least if you are doing hollyweird movie combat, you don't have to worry about the facts of you having more DR.I's than were available in your game.

That might even be another idea, hollyweird versions of different aircraft.

Or the aircraft used on King Kong that are not even in the game - that could be a diy or kitbasher or other than ares product contest to provide an aircraft not in either war.

David Manley
02-14-2012, 09:34
The Sopwith Bat Boat, for those who doubt its existence :)

http://www.doghousecrafts.co.uk/handdaf/saro/bat.jpg

as opposed to THE Bat Boat

http://www.hollywood-diecast.com/bat%20boat%20still.jpg

rote Flügel
02-14-2012, 09:38
I think Keith has the right idea.. keep it to the interests of the game..
Maybe someone could organize a side contest.. not official .. make it what you want to.. maybe put up a post about the possibilities and see what interest there is.. it would kinda suck if you put in a lot of work to sponsor a contest and only one person entered it..

Personally I like repainting these planes. not to much work and you still get a great benefit from what work you do put into it.. one of the things that draws people to this game is the fact that you don't have to paint an army of figures to play it.. some like the cards and many love the miniatures.. myself included.. and depending on your enthusiasm a repaint can be a long .. or short process..

As for a vote here I voted to have a Entente scout contest.. I have several that I can use for this and will have fun seeing what others come up with.. I would also enter a 2 seater contest as I have no problem repainting any of the ones I have at the moment.. but I prefer the scouts as I fly them way more than i do 2 seaters..

just my 2 cents..

Pseudotheist
02-14-2012, 13:49
I think you should tailor your contests to the release schedule. If you want to get in a quick contest, now would be the time to do something with unofficial builds. Maybe "enter a 1/144 scale model of any plane appearing in the Wings of War game, but which does not have an official miniature release". However, unless you're looking to ramp up to more frequent contests than quarterly, I'd recommend your next contest be "Multi-Engined Aircraft". And set the entry deadline for 1 month after the Ares bombers show up in your local store. Then the contest after that, I'd do one for aircraft that saw service in 1916, to support the series V release.

The Cowman
02-14-2012, 17:42
Well I voted for the Entente Scout... but that is because I have a Camel set aside for a repaint... not sitting on any extra Nieuports right now. :(

Oberst Hajj
02-15-2012, 01:28
The site contest will stay focused on planes that are available in the game and can be used in games. While scratch building or kit bashing a barnstormer or King Kong plane would be really fun, I think those would be better served on a site dedicated to modeling or scratch building. There would be too few participants from our membership I'm afraid.

If/when we do a Central's two-seater contest, I'll pick one of the planes that are currently out as minis... Roland, Rumpler, or UFAG.

Niclas
02-15-2012, 09:46
Ok, then I'm voting entente scout - I think a Nieuport would be nice.

/Niclas

crashx
02-15-2012, 11:00
My choice is Entente Scouts!!! By keeping with painting official miniatures, I think this keeps it closer to everything being equal like the Col. stated!!! Eventhough there are now shortages of miniatures, it allows those that do have them to showcase their stuff for all of us (new and old) to the Aerodrome. Once Ares starts to re-release miniatures, I think this will only ecourage many others to particapate in future contests!!! Who know, if we paint enough official miniatures, maybe Ares will release plain ones for us to paint!!!

Willi Von Klugermann
02-15-2012, 19:01

That's fine Al, but a bit of a waste of a plane, if you intend to fly it in games later.
Rob.

A Savage Skywriting SE5a sounds like fun

or this if you want to use it in games

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4WhadjYqMy0/TFqrPTTo7tI/AAAAAAAABq8/NZySP1JlIxI/s1600/waldo-pepper.jpg

wargamer
02-15-2012, 19:31
Now thats the style!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4WhadjYqMy0/TFqrPTTo7tI/AAAAAAAABq8/NZySP1JlIxI/s1600/waldo-pepper.jpg

gully_raker
02-16-2012, 19:40

:D Hummm, Twin Lewis Guns too!
That would make it a A + B shooter, like a tooled up Dolphin.:cheezy:

Flying Officer Kyte
02-16-2012, 23:46

Yes! That looks like a very good compromise Chris.
Rob.

Pseudotheist
02-19-2012, 12:27
Any idea when you expect to announce a decision on this?

Oberst Hajj
02-19-2012, 13:26
Well, it's obvious that you guys want to do a Entente scout next, so I'll just have to decide which one I want to have you guys do :D And, I'd like to finish up the last repaint contest completely before starting the next. lol

rote Flügel
02-19-2012, 14:06
Woo hooo.. can't wait to see what we have to paint..

Baldrick62
02-19-2012, 14:21
By keeping with painting official miniatures, I think this keeps it closer to everything being equal like the Col. stated!!!

Wholeheartedly agree, as long as it's not a Fokker D.VII as that would either rule a lot of people out because they don't have a spare or force them down the Shapeways route.

Although I've voted for an Entente scout, I guess if it was a two-seater contest it might help some of the retailers more excess stock!:lol:

rote Flügel
02-19-2012, 14:40
True enough Baldrick. though I did repaint my two Udet DVIIs just for those Jasta 13 repaints I did.. haha.. I have no use for many of the famous aces so don't mind repainting them.. and I have repainted Kempf and a deluxe set MvR.. so.. I am an evil man I know.. lol.. but I have a few Entente planes I can do.. got some good ideas for them too.. just have to get em done I guess..

Oberst Hajj
02-22-2012, 10:10
The next painting contest (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?8844-Nieuport-17-Challenge) has been posted.

het
02-22-2012, 14:34
hi !
seems you appreciate some of my cards ;)
thanks a lot !
Hope I'll find some times to go on with willy von Klugermann one . Bruno Stachel will not stay apart.