PDA

View Full Version : "Unidentified Aircraft"

jbmacek
02-09-2012, 09:19
I was wondering, have any of you ever played using a sort of "fog of war" option, wherein all the planes on the table start out using just random scout bases, with no proper identification until contact (~1 range ruler) is made?

It seems to me that would spice things up a bit, adding an "element of surprise" to the game.

Nightbomber
02-09-2012, 09:23
Interesting idea, I like it:confused: but never tried...

Oberst Hajj
02-09-2012, 09:37
That could be interesting, but I'd increase the range well beyond 1 ruler. From first hand accounts, we know they could ID most planes well be fore they opened fire on them.

Burt
02-09-2012, 11:00
I like the idea.
Is it a Sopwith Triplane or a DR1, must get some new glasses.
Damn, wrong again:crash:

Flying Officer Kyte
02-09-2012, 13:02
What we need now is one of you smart devils to make us a generic card to move about instead of a scout base, and then when the plane pops up bingo! Its a Pfalz clue or a red herring/Triplane.
Rob.

Ravenlord
02-09-2012, 13:29
That could be interesting, but I'd increase the range well beyond 1 ruler. From first hand accounts, we know they could ID most planes well be fore they opened fire on them.

I think it was not as easy as today to identify the enemy planes because photos of enemy aircraft where rare and in the air, you are fight for survival any plane could be an enemy.

Two examples of confusion:

Heinrich Gontermann (39 Victorys) wrote that it was difficult for him to identify the crosses or roundels on the planes he fought against. (Not the plane itself!! Did he knew them at all?)
His first victory was a FE 2b on Nov. 14 1916 at the village Morval - no british or french casualty is known at this date.
Only 1,5 km from this destination on Nov. 14 1916 Lt. Han Gürtler and Lt. d. R. Max Dieterle from FFA 8 lost their lifes when they where shot down at Lesboeurs, Somme. No french or british claims where made in this aeria at this date.
Is it possible that Gontermans first victory was a friendly plane?

On Aug. 11, 1918 Olt. Bruno Lörzer attacked a LVG C.V from FA (A) 296b, wounded the Observer and forced the two-seater to a emergency landing.
Two days later he achived his 30. victory. He was a leading ace this time, nevertheless he couldn´t see that the attackt plane was not the Breguet that he had fought bevore and lost out of sight.

I like the Idea of using a "fog of war" option - it´s worth to be discused.

Matthias

csadn
02-09-2012, 15:21
I figure: The game begins upon one side or the other making positive ID of hostiles, so everyone knows what's what. (If the player doesn't know the capabilities of his foe, that's his tough luck.)

flash
02-10-2012, 11:22
You would have to create a set of movement cards without ID on them, or the ID covered up, otherwise the opfor will clock the letter on the cards you're using & realise what type you are, or, could be,or at least know the performance of the type you're using.
Nice idea though, I would use a generic movement card for all to start with (like a B deck) so no one can guess what the other has; then would use playing cards to draw which side you're on so no-one knows who is on what side & when spotted draw another card to see what aircraft you get. eg Spades = German; A= Fokker D.VII; K=Albatros D.Va; Q= Pfalz D.IIIa & so on depending on availability. Of course once an aircraft's spotted everyone will know what they are whether they are in range or not !
Looking like an aerial form of squeak piggy squeak !!

radzak
03-07-2012, 11:34
thats a great idea u should put this in a scenario. like maybe... a very foggy day for a TDM or other scenario may work.

radzak
03-08-2012, 06:09
i just thought of a cool scenario, either axis or allied are targeting an ardrome and have stripped there planes of there national signs thinking it could get them there safer. the pilots at the airdrome won't know if they're friend or foe.

not rly ur exact rules but i think this is a good idea