Baldrick62
02-07-2012, 17:39
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Flying Fury: Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps Author:
James McCudden VC ISBN:
0905-778-58-8 Category:
Autobiography Format:
Hardback Summary:
What can you say: a contemporary account by one of the 'greats', or as the by-line says 'a classic World War I memoir'. The Wren's Park edition is 274pp, with 16 pages of photos, and follows McCudden's miltary service in his own words, from groundcrew in 1913 to pilot, until 3 days before his death in 1918.

Flying Officer Kyte
02-08-2012, 01:50
Just as you say Baldrick. Another classic, with a wealth of first hand experience packed between the pages.
Rob.

Mike W
02-08-2012, 16:46
Well written by McCudden too!

fast.git
02-25-2013, 18:56
I reallyenjoyed this read. A lot.

Please be warned... this is an in-depth review of the Kindle Edition of this book, and does include spoilers. To begin, however, I found this to be a pretty basic ebook, with a functional search mechanic and a hot-linked table of contents. Images are, sadly (but not surprisingly), less in number and in quality than one would find in a dead tree copy of the book.

------------------------------------------------------

Compiled in almost diary-like fashion from recollections, letters, and official squadron after action reports (AARs), this memoir chronicles James T.B. McCudden’s five years of service in the Royal Flying Corps (RFC). Unlike many memoirs published during this period, McCudden’s memoir carries an unabashed frankness, lacking in polish, which lends authenticity to his tale. Despite his claim that he lacked formal education and was no writer, his style is matter-of-fact and genuinely engaging.

Originally published in 1918, shortly after McCudden’s death in July of 1918, this memoir is unusual for several reasons:

The manuscript was published, apparently, as it was written: it is rough, unpolished, and brazenly displays the respect that McCudden had for his German foes.
It chronicles five years of the RFC during its infancy and, in doing so, points to James McCudden’s amazing longevity. Few pilots survived as long, or saw as much success.
The technical details offered by McCudden (who served first as a mechanic, and then as an observer prior to becoming a pilot in early 1916) give the reader insight into the evolution of aeroplanes and their use as weapons of war.

Having enlisted in the RFC in 1913 as an air mechanic, Major James McCudden died as both the most highly decorated British Empire pilot of the First World War (Victoria Cross, Distinguished Service Order & Bar, Military Cross & Bar, Military Medal, and French Croix de Guerre), but also one of the longest serving. A self-stylized student of “the game,” McCudden unknowingly was also a proponent of the Dicta Boelcke, German Ace Oswald Boelcke’s instructions for fighter pilots that stressed fighting when you had advantage, and retiring (or avoiding combat altogether) if the odds were against you and victory was unlikely.

Leaning on the skills he mastered as an air mechanic, McCudden became extremely particular about the set-up of his scouts, whether DH.2s, Sopwith Pups, or the machine he is most associated with, the SE5a. As such, his finely-tuned machines consistently outperformed those of his contemporaries, especially in terms of rate of climb, service ceiling, and maximum airspeed. These refinements, when combined with professional approach and systematic stalking of German two-seaters, resulted in McCudden’s tallying of 57 confirmed victories (all but 6 flying an SE5a for 56 Squadron) between September 1916 and March 1918, including twice downing four German aircraft in a single day.

The following is an excerpt I feel illustrates well McCudden’s style, as he reflects upon a scrap between three DH.2’s of 29 Squadron and six of the new Albatros D.I “chasers” on the 9th of November 1916:

“I really think that fight was one of the best I have ever had, although we were outnumbered and the Huns had better machines than we had.

I had a good look round my machine and found that the Huns had scored twenty-four hits. This was the greatest number I have ever had. I do not believe in being shot about. It is bad or careless flying to allow one’s self to be shot about when one ought usually to be able to prevent it by properlytimed manœuvers.”
McCudden’s memoir illustrates several interesting points including, but not limited to:

the proclivity of his weapons, both Lewis guns and Maxims to jam,
the imperfect nature of air warfare in the early years… oftentimes more than half of a flight would be forced to turn back due to mechanicals, and
perquisites of rank and success – McCudden regularly undertook solo flights, stalking high-flying German two-seaters where and when he wished.

------------------------------------------------------

Epilogue:
Shortly after receiving his VC and the bars (denoting second awards for each) for his DSO and MC, McCudden’s request to return to France is granted when he is given command of 60 Squadron. Tragically, it was not to be. Despite all of his experience and obvious ability (he had twice served as an instructor), McCudden dies when the engine of his factory-new SE5a seizes shortly after takeoff and he, in a mistake more reminiscent of rookie pilots with far less experience, attempts to return to the aerodrome… stalling his machine into a catastrophic, fatal sideslip.

Flying Officer Kyte
02-26-2013, 00:34
That is very interesting Chris.
It is good to get an evaluation of an electronic version of a book which a lot of us have.
Gives a good idea of what you are getting if you have to go for one of the more rare or out of print books.
Thanks for posting.
Rob.

fast.git
02-26-2013, 03:41
That is very interesting Chris.
It is good to get an evaluation of an electronic version of a book which a lot of us have.
Gives a good idea of what you are getting if you have to go for one of the more rare or out of print books.
Thanks for posting.
Rob.

Thanks for the comments. McCudden's "cockpit-eye-view" was immediately engaging.

I wrote the review despite the fact that I figured it was something many had read... but it was new to me, and may not have been read by some of our newer members. My apologies for a review which does stray somewhat beyond just a simple, "this is what is contained in the book...."

It is a book I would recommend highly to anyone interested in First World War air combat: the price point for the ebook is great (less than $10 US), it was detailed and informative, and McCudden's style is genuinely engaging. I cannot speak highly enough about it.

Chris