PDA

View Full Version : Shapways planes

Baron Rolf
01-29-2012, 12:45
Hello I've bought myself a nice kite from Shapeways , can anyone who's bought them in the past give me any advice , such as ease of construction , I've seen that their products have a wax residue so what should I use to remove that from my new kite , and how does paint take to the kit ?

Boney10
01-29-2012, 13:45
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29494&d=1324471653

This is the Shapeways DVII kit version.

Remember to seal the kit first, there is plenty of advice on the different method, I use a couple of coats of matt varnish, then white undercoat.
Paint is not an issue with the kit, the problem I found was after using the decals for the wings, the indentations for the struts etc are not well defined so it was difficult to see where the struts should fit. It may be wise to drill through the wings, decal the underside of the top & top of the bottom wings, then assemble and then decal the top upper wing & botton underneath.
I used a standard superglue which did stick the material.
hope this helps

Flying Officer Kyte
01-29-2012, 14:45
If you look in the 3D Printed models thread right below this one Mark, you will find a load of advice on these planes.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
01-30-2012, 00:37
I've moved this to the 3D section.

How you prep your plane will depend a lot on what material you will be ordering it out of.

Baron Rolf
01-30-2012, 05:13
Thankyou for the advice guys I'll bare that all in mind when I get my new kite , I couldn't mention what plane as it's a suprise for my regular opponant.

Oberst Hajj
01-30-2012, 05:20
What material did you order it in?