PDA

View Full Version : Building Reviresco's Siemens-Schuckert Diii

Dark Horse
01-28-2012, 00:11
Here are some pix of my build of Reviresco’s Siemens-Schuckert Diii. It is the plane flown by Alfred Greven of Jasta 12. It flies on “O” deck. I basically followed the instructions on the packet. :)

All parts were painted and/or decaled before assembly began. The wing decals are wrap around decals that require a little care but are otherwise straightforward. The fuselage decal comes in 2 parts. There is a little overlap where they join, which I chose to deal with by having the overlap underneath, rather than noticeably on top or trying to trim the decals to fit exactly.

The struts are painted in GW paints using similar colours to the decals (the decals are also from Reviresco.) The wheels are decaled by a couple of spare bits of decal. ;)

Getting the top wing to sit properly on the struts & line up properly with the lower wing takes a little care & patience. The main problem here was the way the struts (1) were not sufficiently obliging in lining up easily & (2), they had a tendency to buckle due to the thinness of the white metal. :eek:

The axle was missing in my example - not sure if it was meant to come with one in the first place (?) but I decided that it would be too delicate anyway & cut a piece of piano wire, which held all of the undercarriage together tightly & strongly. :)

Overall I enjoyed the challenge of the build (except for fitting the upper wing) & I intend to make at least one more of these little fighters. :)

The pix are unfortunately a little unclear because it is such a small bird that my camera had trouble coping with it.

Baldrick62
01-28-2012, 08:03
Dark Horse,
Nice build; the SSW D.III is one of my favourites. I must admit I do find the Reviresco decal colours a bit too light and bright though.
BofB

Dwarflord22
01-28-2012, 08:07
Nice build! Thank you for posting the narrative and pics! :thumbsup:

Dark Horse
01-28-2012, 19:11
Thank you. I must admit I quite like a lighter colour to the decals - I firmly believe that scale colour should be lighter than the real thing, especially on a model this small, otherwise it is harder to pick out the details at any distance - especially the way my eyes are going now! The pix make the model a bit shiny too as the flash is bouncing off a satin varnish, which I always brush on to protect the decals. I have not yet got around to spraying on a matt varnish coat to dull things down a bit.

Dark Horse,
Nice build; the SSW D.III is one of my favourites. I must admit I do find the Reviresco decal colours a bit too light and bright though.
BofB

alpine
01-29-2012, 09:20
Great looking plane! :thumbsup:

Flying Officer Kyte
01-29-2012, 11:10
:thumbsup:Good one Nigel. That's another that I won't need to write up.:salute:
Rob.

Attila57
01-29-2012, 11:21
Well done!! Nice build and post!

Attilio

Dark Horse
04-28-2012, 02:19
I am re-posting some pix of my SSW-Diii that were lost during the recent hacking. I have also included a couple of pix of its first outing, where it managed to account for a snipe, despite developing a bad smoking habit! Collision with Voss' Albatros Dva was narrowly avoided, but unfortunately Herr Grevens did not manage to survive the game...

Here are some pix of my build of Reviresco’s Siemens-Schuckert Diii. It is the plane flown by Alfred Greven of Jasta 12. It flies on “O” deck. I basically followed the instructions on the packet. :)

All parts were painted and/or decaled before assembly began. The wing decals are wrap around decals that require a little care but are otherwise straightforward. The fuselage decal comes in 2 parts. There is a little overlap where they join, which I chose to deal with by having the overlap underneath, rather than noticeably on top or trying to trim the decals to fit exactly.

The struts are painted in GW paints using similar colours to the decals (the decals are also from Reviresco.) The wheels are decaled by a couple of spare bits of decal. ;)

Getting the top wing to sit properly on the struts & line up properly with the lower wing takes a little care & patience. The main problem here was the way the struts (1) were not sufficiently obliging in lining up easily & (2), they had a tendency to buckle due to the thinness of the white metal. :eek:

The axle was missing in my example - not sure if it was meant to come with one in the first place (?) but I decided that it would be too delicate anyway & cut a piece of piano wire, which held all of the undercarriage together tightly & strongly. :)

Overall I enjoyed the challenge of the build (except for fitting the upper wing) & I intend to make at least one more of these little fighters. :)

The pix are unfortunately a little unclear because it is such a small bird that my camera had trouble coping with it.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-28-2012, 03:19
Nice to get another chance to have a look at this aircraft especially now that it has been in action.
Thanks Nigel.
Rob.

Dark Horse
04-28-2012, 20:34
Nice to get another chance to have a look at yhis aircraft especially now that it has been in action.
Thanks Nigel.
Rob.

Yes, it is a model that I am very happy with.