PDA

View Full Version : European theater dogfight - The Soldiery in Columbus, Ohio on Jan 25, 2012

Misdomingo
01-26-2012, 17:03
In eager anticipation of the newest Ares WWII release, ten seasoned WWI pilots hopped into the cockpits of WWII warbirds for a European theater dogfight on January 25, 2012 at the Soldiery in Columbus, Ohio. Only three of us (The Cowman, Tommy Z, and myself, Misdomingo) had flown WWII scenarios before, so there was lots of coaching and laughter as everyone adjusted to the different rule set. We had downloaded a couple hardcopies of the Wings of Glory standard rules from Ares Games website and passed them around for reference. Three color-coded cups held the damage chits. Each side’s mission was to rack up the most kills, with a prize Wildcat WofW miniature to be awarded to the top ace of the evening. (Thanks are due to The Cowman for donating prize support!) Tommy Z provided the awesome cloud-covered aerial photo map from GameOn! for our field of battle:

Mark’s Supermarine Spitfire Mk.II (Vybral’s bird with light blue and green camo) claimed first kill with an assist from the Cowman’s Belgian Hawker Hurricane Mk.I (Van den Hove) as Misdomingo’s Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3 (Balthasar) was riddled with holes from all sides and forced to make a fiery crash landing:

Tim’s Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-4 (Galland) sustained engine damage, and Mark put the limping Messerschmitt out of its misery. It was now Allies: 2 and Axis: 0. Phil’s Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3 (Pankratz) roared back to shoot down Carlos’ Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I (Wright) and finally get Team Germany on the scoreboard. Misdomingo’s returned Messerschmitt lit up The Cowman’s Hurricane causing it to belch great quantities of black smoke. Here’s Ken the Cowman’s reaction to his plane’s dilemma as Mike looks on in sympathy:

At this point, three out of the ten pilots were wounded, so they were placing and choosing their maneuver cards before the rest of the group. Mark’s Spitfire downed Tim’s Messerschmitt a second time, tallying his third kill of the evening. It took the concerted efforts of three Messerschmitts (Rob, Tim, and TommyZ) with a fourth (Misdomingo) on the way to finally take out Mike’s Grumman F4F4 Wildcat (McWorther) as his wingman Will in another Wildcat (Steiger) watched in horror:

Will and Mike shot TommyZ’s Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3 (Molders) out of the sky, and Mark tallied his fourth kill of the evening as he downed Phil’s Messerschmitt. The score was now Allies: 5 and Axis: 2.

In rapid succession, Carlos’ Spitfire took out Tommy Z’s Messerschmitt. Upon re-entering the fray, Tommy Z returned the favor by shooting Carlos out of the sky. Meanwhile on the other side of the front, Tim’s Messerschmitt shot down Mike’s Wildcat and The Cowman’s Spitfire shot down Misdomingo’s warbird:

As time ran out, Tim’s Messerschmitt recorded one more kill as the Cowman’s Spitfire crashed to the ground in flames and smoke:

The Allies emerged victorious with the final score of Allies: 7, Axis: 5. The top ace of the evening having earned four kill markers was Mark, shown here accepting his prize Wildcat from Misdomingo:

The group had a good evening, and we are happily awaiting the arrival of newest WWII planes next month!

chuck42
01-27-2012, 19:17
Wish I'd been there

Tommy Z
01-27-2012, 20:56
A great time was had by all! :thumbsup:

CappyTom
01-28-2012, 02:57
Fantastic photos, love the mat Tommy. Wish I could have been there. I really enjoy the WW2 version.

Thomas

The Cowman
01-28-2012, 06:52
Nice AAR Ann! We had a great time!

The Cowman
01-28-2012, 06:54
Wish I'd been there

We wish you would have been there too Chuck!

Dwarflord22
01-28-2012, 08:18
The post with the narrative and pics is the next best thing to being there :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Marechallannes
01-29-2012, 00:39
Great picture an greatt AAR, Ann.:clap:

Cool event!:salute:

The WW II games are more faster ones. The planes deal out more damage than their little brothers (and sisters) in the WW I version. Once you get an an enemy on your six it's soon over.

CappyTom
01-29-2012, 04:51
Great picture an greatt AAR, Ann.:clap:

Cool event!:salute:

The WW II games are more faster ones. The planes deal out more damage than their little brothers (and sisters) in the WW I version. Once you get an an enemy on your six it's soon over.

Results yep that's why I like the game.

Thomas

Jager
01-29-2012, 06:13
Results yep that's why I like the game.

Thomas

I'll remind you of that next time I'm in your six.
Great report; I wish you guys were'nt 2 hours away.
Karl

CappyTom
01-29-2012, 15:11
I'll remind you of that next time I'm in your six.
Great report; I wish you guys were'nt 2 hours away.
Karl

Thanks Karl, I bet you will. Looking forward to Bashcon.
Thomas

richard m schwab
01-29-2012, 15:22
Great report! It would appear everyone had a good time!!!

Rich