PDA

View Full Version : WGFM: British Aviation Squadron Markings of World War I (Schiffer)

Baldrick62
01-26-2012, 14:38
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
British Aviation Squadron Markings of World War I Author:
Les Rogers ISBN:
0-7643-1284-7 Category:
Reference Format:
Hardback Summary:
A 276pp book detailing the markings of all RNAS, RFC, AFC and RAF sqns and the early RNAS Wings, with photographic examples of the majority of them. After a short introduction concerning the evolution of sqn markings, the bulk of the book provides sqn by sqn entries with a very brief history, then (where available) details of sqn, flight and individual markings, noting changes that occured as new aircraft types were taken on strength. Lots of B&W photos and an added bonus of 76 pages of Bob Pearson colour profiles of everything from BE2Cs to Felixstowe flying boats. Printed in 2001 and while probably not the definitive 'one-stop shop' for British markings as future re-discoveries hopefully become available, but damn close to it!

fast.git
07-06-2016, 12:02
Wonderful reference material buried in the forum since 2012. A wealth of information, including 100s of b/w photos and more than 100 color plates... though it's not organized as clearly as I'd like. Some transcription and spelling errors, but they're minor. If you have the opportunity, pick up a copy.

From the Editor:

Years in the making, this book covers the wide variety of markings used by British aviation units in World War I. Organized numerically by squadron number the book includes both textual and photographic examples for nearly all RFC, RAF, and RNAS squadrons. Many of the photographs are published here for the first time, and the color profiles offer a representative selection of units, aircraft, and color schemes. A classic book.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=201515&d=1467830587

Teaticket
07-06-2016, 12:08
This one has been on my short list a while. I keep looking to find one at a reasonable fee.

Boney10
07-06-2016, 15:04
Got this on myself, highly recommend it if you are interested in Sqn markings and what aircraft fielded by squadrons.
Gives a brief synopsis of the squadron from its first aircraft and what markings , if any during various years.
Does not have every aircrafts markings, but has a lot of them.

Flying Helmut
07-06-2016, 16:14
I have this as well, it's a must-have for the R.F.C., particularly early war.

Get it if you can!