PDA

View Full Version : Do you use card sleeves?

sparty
01-24-2012, 12:51
Just curious about how many folks are sleeving their cards and to what extent. I've not done it yet, but I'm not ruling it out of the question.

Zakopious
01-24-2012, 13:00
Keith,

My use of card sleeves does not fit into your poll.

I scan my damage and maneuver decks to make additional cards for my card models.
The cards that I print with my inkjet printer are sleeved.

Ken

sparty
01-24-2012, 13:48
Buckeyes...of course you do that...

wargamer
01-24-2012, 14:36
Similar idea, I do the same thing, but it also allows you to make card backings that allow you to identify which deck is which - easier to sort out which plane is being maneuvered.

Keith,

My use of card sleeves does not fit into your poll.

I scan my damage and maneuver decks to make additional cards for my card models.
The cards that I print with my inkjet printer are sleeved.

Ken

Flying Officer Kyte
01-24-2012, 14:40
I put sleeves on everything including AA markers and ground targets, due to playing a lot of games outdoors where a puff of wind can be fatal if the field is wet.
Rob.

gully_raker
01-24-2012, 14:56
:D No, never felt the need to do so.

gully_raker
01-24-2012, 14:58
I put sleeves on everything including AA markers and ground targets, due to playing a lot of games outdoors where a puff of wind can be fatal if the field is wet.
Rob.

:cheezy: What with your English weather, Rob I thought you would even have "raincoats" for your Aircraft Models.:D

itchy
01-24-2012, 18:40
voted no but it is something I plan doing eventually ,so when that day comes it will yes all of em

Dwarflord22
01-24-2012, 19:33
Just the damage decks for me to protect them from shuffling! :thumbsup:

Zakopious
01-24-2012, 21:10
Buckeyes...of course you do that...

Does that imply that Tar Heels don't ?

And if not, why not ?

Marechallannes
01-24-2012, 23:36
No use of sleeves.

Use them only for Battle Star Galactica and Twilight Imperium 3rd edition.

flyingryno
01-24-2012, 23:47
Since Im on a fixed income I can't aford to buy new cards so I figure its cheaper to put them in sleeves.

FrankJamison
01-26-2012, 15:38
Add me to the sleeve everything club. Sleeves aren't cheap, but losing a card (and a deck) is more expensive (and irritating).

Rob.

Nightbomber
01-26-2012, 15:48
Just for B D.deck which I use for demo games with strangers only. Other cards I play with trustful players, so no danger of wine or beer floods:)

Coog
01-26-2012, 20:24
I do not get to play that much so I don't worry that much about the cards. I also have more than one deck of cards for everything.

HTRAINo
01-28-2012, 15:58
My mate Baron Rolf has just bought a load. I don't feel the need, and would rather buy a new plane with the money ;)

bsmith13
01-30-2012, 20:27
I don't use sleeves, but I think I probably should...

Boney10
01-31-2012, 04:40
I use sleeves on all cards, even including the extra movement decks printed from the files section.
I find the add a sturdiness to the cards. Yes the decks are physically larger now but I prefer the protection offered

somaliavet
01-31-2012, 05:46
I don't have any right now, but at some point want to put them all in sleeves.

Baron Rolf
02-02-2012, 06:57
I'm going to buy some more for my new kites when I collect them , plus I may even do the same for my damage decks as I did the same with my Axis & Allies German/American WWII land forces years ago , I agree with somaliavet as there's nothing worse than tatty cards.

CappyTom
02-03-2012, 02:34
I voted all of them. But as I continue to buy more I'm falling behind. Now when Origins gets here I will have them all covered for play. I also have a few that I leave uncovered for use personally with friends as they are easier to use without sleeves.
:pint:
Thomas

Ed2
03-04-2012, 15:38
Too much trouble & they don't fit well in my storage containers.

WizardsWarlords
05-11-2012, 06:57
Haven't used sleeves for any cards yet (even with other games), I might buy a couple of sleeves to see if I like them at some point but for the moment I don't see much need for sleeves.
May need them if our club moves to a pub as I'd hate to have drinks spilt over my cards.

Willi Von Klugermann
05-11-2012, 07:01
Like everything else I go bareback.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-11-2012, 11:52
I only use them because we play a lot outdoors when camping at Re enactments, and you cany clean mud mixed with cow poo off very easily if they get blown down the campsite.
Rob.

Green Goblin
05-11-2012, 13:47
I don't at present 'though it sounds like a good idea. Are there any purpose made ones on the market?

CappyTom
05-11-2012, 14:56
I don't at present 'though it sounds like a good idea. Are there any purpose made ones on the market?

Yes, here's a link (http://12-7-games.com/catalog/product/fantasy-flight-mini-european-board-game-sleeve-packs). Here's some advertising for 12-7.
:thumbsup:
Thomas

Flying Officer Kyte
05-13-2012, 04:12

For over here in the U.K. I get mine from Mayday Games Dave.

http://maydaygames.com/

Rob.

Jager
05-13-2012, 06:03
I'm going to sleeve up the ones I need for my game at Origins; after that, probably in small stages the rest.
Karl

grumpybear
05-13-2012, 06:11
Never have not sure if I ever will.

armstrongjohn1
11-28-2012, 12:25
I have just got some sleeves. I am going to use them on the cards I have printed for my skytrex planes as these are not laminated, but I may use them for all cards.

Mark.

Baron Rolf
11-28-2012, 13:35
Cheers Rob for the heads up the link on the card protectors :thumbsup:

Baron Rolf
11-28-2012, 22:11
Just ordered some card protectors from mayday games , for my new custom planes and for my new Ares games planes.

Boney10
11-29-2012, 04:44
All of my cards are sleeved, I prefer the added protection.
Until recently I used official FFG European sleeves which are quite thick, but found on eBay a European company selling for half the price, sleeves are not as thick but are ok and I use on my damage decks.
The down side of using sleeves is that , currently most accessories, here on the AA and companies who sell the hanger type trays , cut to fit the cards only so wen sleeves are used they tend to be oversized. This can lead to forcing your cards into place which results in curling.
The AA damage caddy, which I use all the time does allow the use of sleeves, but the advanced cockpit does not although you can get round this.
The trays I use are the KR ones, got no experience of the AA ones, these use soft foam on the trays and have that extra bit of give which allows the cards to fit in the slots without curling the edges.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-29-2012, 07:55
[QUOTE=Boney10;181776]All of my cards are sleeved, I prefer the added protection.
The AA damage caddy, which I use all the time does allow the use of sleeves, but the advanced cockpit does not although you can get round this.
QUOTE]

As you say Chris, a little work with a needle file on the slots soon solves this. Just don't get carried away if you try it. Plastic is quite soft and abrades very quickly.
Rob.

sparty
11-29-2012, 09:51
The down side of using sleeves is that , currently most accessories, here on the AA and companies who sell the hanger type trays , cut to fit the cards only so wen sleeves are used they tend to be oversized. This can lead to forcing your cards into place which results in curling.
The trays I use are the KR ones, got no experience of the AA ones, these use soft foam on the trays and have that extra bit of give which allows the cards to fit in the slots without curling the edges.

It would be cool to see two specs for those trays. I'm just not handy enough to file them down like Rob ... lol It seems totally incompetent, but I just don't trust myself not to get over excited and go too far with it.

Пилот
12-20-2012, 12:58
I never use sleeves. It does not fit me to play with sleeved cards.

Nightbomber
12-20-2012, 13:26
I find sleeving very useful. But it's a personal choice. I'm used to play with kids and drinks on a table and you know both factors combined can be disastrous. Sleeving cards let's you focus on game, not on securing the precioussssss game items.;)

Baron Rolf
12-20-2012, 21:43
I agree Andrzej about protecting the cards from all kinds of damage , I've recently got my order from Mayday Games for 400 little card sleeves which will cover my custom cards plus my damage decks.

Doug
12-20-2012, 23:20
Too much trouble & they don't fit well in my storage containers.

Likewise.

Flying Officer Kyte
12-21-2012, 01:42
When you are playing a lot of games in muddy fields outside your tent, you need to protect the cards from the elements.
I find the sleeves fit into the FiC hangers just fine.
Rob.

LewdDude
12-21-2012, 06:29
Probably should use them, but have not as of yet! LOL

S!~

Slim
09-10-2013, 22:47
i tend to use the Blue Peter Aproach, with down load printed cards and cover with cleear sticky backed plastic to prevent ink jet smudging

Lt. S.Kafloc
09-11-2013, 00:54
For official cards I am working my way through them to put in sleeves. All damage decks done to date. Aircraft maneuver decks next.

Olt^Jones
09-15-2013, 02:31
No. i never used sleeves.

se5a
09-23-2013, 12:43
Not got round to protecting these cards yet, but have laminated other similar cards using A4 laminating pouches. You can get between 9 - 12 cards in one A4 sleeve, and trim them up once they have cooled down.
You can pick up a laminator for about £10 - £15 for a basic model.

Paul

Flying Helmut
01-09-2014, 02:46
Don't use them yet, but have just ordered a set of 100 from Slovenia on ebay. In the big Christmas game at my local club, with 12 players including children, the cards all got mixed up, and I intend to define each deck with a coloured dot to enable rapid re-sorting. With sleeves, I won't have to stick dots directly onto the cards!
(Stole this idea from Boney, whose cards I used at Warfare last year!)

milcoll73
10-05-2014, 02:03
i use them on nearly all my cards. the only ones i dont sleeve are target cards, plane cards, and maneuver decks not actively in use. i do a lot of demos at the shop and i noticed wear on the cards of the more popular a/c so i had to do something. i use a very thin brand of sleeves from swan but im almost out and it doesnt look like ill be able to get more so ill most likely switch. there are a few draw backs such as increased overall size of the sleeved cards and they tend to stick when new or when someone has sweaty hands.

Naharaht
10-05-2014, 11:02
I have sleeves on some damage and manoeuvre decks and some packets of sleeves to put on other cards eventually.

milcoll73
11-27-2014, 12:16
fyi standard magic the gathering sleeves fit the large high performance ww2 fighter maneuver cards.

Nightbomber
11-27-2014, 14:09
Playing and drinking wine in high glasses make sleeving necessary :FOK:

Flying Officer Kyte
11-27-2014, 14:34
fyi standard magic the gathering sleeves fit the large high performance ww2 fighter maneuver cards.

Thank you Phillip.
They are the only ones I have not sleeved so far. Oh! you can now claim your 50 point rep medal.
Rob.

FarEast
11-27-2014, 15:07
I used to, but I found that the cards stuck together and also were too slippery on the playing surfaces. So have started the monotonous task of unsleeving my decks.

milcoll73
11-27-2014, 22:27
Thank you Phillip.
They are the only ones I have not sleeved so far. Oh! you can now claim your 50 point rep medal.
Rob.

thanks!!!! i hadnt even noticed :embarrass:

milcoll73
11-27-2014, 22:30
I used to, but I found that the cards stuck together and also were too slippery on the playing surfaces. So have started the monotonous task of unsleeving my decks.

yeah ive got that problem with my sleeves, though i will say the ultra pro sleeves dont tend to stick together like the swan ones do. the biggest problem with the ultra pro sleeves is the increased thickness of the deck theyre on. small price to pay to prevent the wear and damage i was seeing on my cards though.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-28-2014, 00:24
As I have mentioned before, with my cards having a semi nomadic life style outdoors one minute, at shows the next, it is essential to protect them from the ravages of spilt beer, coffee, kid's sticky fingers, and sheep poo.:eek:
Rob.

tikkifriend
11-28-2014, 04:50
Not at the moment. Not too sure as they make the cards a bit bulky, and unlike Rob mine rarely leave the house.

Atharil
11-30-2014, 03:01
Nope, they're slippery enough even without them :D

Willi Von Klugermann
11-30-2014, 05:19
No, I don't play too often and still have a lot of pristine decks.

Rebel
09-24-2018, 09:26
I would have preferred a third option!
I have sleeves on some but not all.

Naharaht
09-24-2018, 11:53
I sleeve both manoeuvre decks and damage decks but I have not done every single model I have.

Flying Helmut
09-24-2018, 12:25
I said "No" to this survey initially, then changed my mind and added sleeves to my 'A' Damage decks and many of my manoeuvre decks.

As stated in a previous post on this thread (post #47) I bought my sleeves from Slovenia on ebay, and was fairly happy with them until I discovered Mayday Games sleeves, which are more expensive, but much better quality.

I haven't used any more Slovenian ones since (they are VERY thin and flexible, but the cards slip out too easily) but have used quite a lot of Mayday ones.

I'm now on the verge of changing my mind again! The double 'B' deck I use has never been sleeved, and the cards are still pristine despite heavy usage.
The double 'A' deck (sleeved) is FAR more difficult to shuffle, and many of the sleeves stick together (just enough to ensure identical card draws occur in later games!!!!).
I now have enough spare decks to allow replacement if necessary, but so far none of my decks is close to needing to be retired.

McDorf
09-24-2018, 12:31
Some of my cards do, and some of them don't. I use Mayday sleeves, they work pretty well.

Ken at Sunrise
09-24-2018, 12:33
We sleeve most of out games.

Quite often when we find new or renewed interest in a game we tend to play it often. We started sleeving after we found one particular game's cards were noticeably worn. Sleeves are very inexpensive compared to the game itself.

Saylug
09-24-2018, 13:44
I saw them in use for the first time this weekend at Dawn Patrol, I just bought some of my own but haven't tried them yet.

Boney10
09-26-2018, 02:00
I sleeve all my cards, mainly due to use at shows, well until Tim came along.
Like Tim I have used sleeves from Lithuania, nothing wrong with these they are cheap and plentiful but a bit thin and i find stick together and become losse.
I have a few Mayfair and they are good , thicker and offer good protection.
My particular favourite are the Fantasy Flight cards, these are nice and chucky, quite thick and robust very good protection.
Disadvantage they can be expensive per pack and greatly increase the size of the playing decks.
So you pay what you get and take your choice

Flying Officer Kyte
09-26-2018, 03:22
Like Chris i sleeve all cards because of shows and playing at camp with them in the open air. Cow pats can be a real card killer if the wind blows one off the table.
Rob.

milcoll73
09-27-2018, 19:56
just a reminder mayday has a discount for aerodrome members. just use the code "wogaerodrome" when buying from mayday for a .35 cent discount.

Hedeby
09-28-2018, 04:46
I sleeve the damage cards but not the manoeuvre decks but only because they won’t fit in the foam storage properly when sleeved

Flying Officer Kyte
09-28-2018, 09:47
A sharp craft knife works wonders on foam Chris.:takecover:
Rob.

Flying Helmut
09-28-2018, 11:59
A sharp craft knife works wonders on foam Chris.:takecover:

..............and on Bristols with a spurious extra gun! :takecover::takecover::takecover:

Hedeby
09-28-2018, 16:23
Nothing spurious about the extra gun.....