PDA

View Full Version : Should Ares Games produce the Cardgameversion of WoG, too?

Marechallannes
01-22-2012, 01:33
Dawn of War Series III miniatures are coming out. The mini-starterset and the mini-bombers are on their way (hope so).

What about the card based game version like Rain of Destruction or a new card based starter set for WW I?

Should Ares Games produce the cardgame version of WoG, too?

...or better concentrate on the miniature business?

Marechallannes
01-22-2012, 01:42
I started my WoW career with the old Deluxe Set and the Immelman Booster, followed by the Baloon Buster expansion and Flight of the Giants. Many other WoW products followed.:money:

I like both versions and would be happy if Ares Games continues to produce card based game versions for the community.:)

Bluedevil
01-22-2012, 01:47
Of course they should!:confused: After all for most of us it is by playing with the cards that we finally came to the miniature version of the game.
It is a great way to introduce some-one to the game and is a lessexpensive way to play the game for those who are not willing to spend a small fortune collecting the mini's.:thumbsup:

Diamondback
01-22-2012, 02:55
That and the card game is a lot more portable. If Andrea and company were to ask me for advice, what I would tell them would be to focus on minis for the first six months or year to show they're serious and bring in working capital, then start spooling up the card line again after they've bought themselves a little breathing room.

And fer God's sakes, keep the card releases either straight-reprint content or all-new for any given product, so we who scored things the first time around don't have to buy a second set of everything just to be "complete", please...

Niclas
01-22-2012, 03:20
Absolutely!

Fell in love with the card game, still play it. For me, the minis are just extra spice.

Anyway, the card game's more accessible for non hard core gamers. To start investing in minis, you have to be completely sold on the game. I have (sadly) more friends for which WoW is just one of many games they play, than are WoW-enthusiasts - They're quite content with just the odd box or two of the card version and would never buy the minis.

/Niclas

Blackronin
01-22-2012, 04:24
The card version will bring more players and possibly more buyers for the miniatures. Not printing the card version will exclude those that don't use miniatures. Not producing the card version is a bad strategy.

Oberst Hajj
01-22-2012, 04:50
Ares/Andrea has stated that they will continue to produce and support the card only version of the game. They will be concentrating on the minis first however.

Rabbit 3
01-22-2012, 05:16
I would thought that supporting the "card only" option was something of a "no-brainer" as cards are much easier to produce and market.
If I were Ares right now I think I would have started with a new card only set for a relaunch, produced some new single-plane type booster packs, THEN released more new minis.
Minis are nice to have but at a pinch I`d settle for the basic game components and mechanics and provide the models myself from other sources.

Oberst Hajj
01-22-2012, 06:05
Minis are nice to have but at a pinch I`d settle for the basic game components and mechanics and provide the models myself from other sources.

Which is exactly what they do not want you to do. Every mini you buy from another source is lost revenue to them. Even worse, it is potentially lost revenue from all those that game with you if they decided to go to those same sources instead of Ares.

Minis out sell cards all day, every day.

flash
01-22-2012, 06:25
I'm glad they're concentrating on the minis but I hope they don't deny the card game followers the opportunity of more options, after all alot of card gamers convert to minis once they get to see how good the game is... mind you, then there'll be less minis for us ...!

billingspike
01-22-2012, 06:27
I agree ,the longer it takes the new Ares group to get to market with the minis,,that door opens wider ,to me the "card" series ,,is like tipping your hand as to what you are gonna produce next in the mini line ..I myself really want to stay loyal ,,,but it is getting harder,,with each passing month.

itchy
01-22-2012, 06:27
I sarted out with cards ,as a lot did but I would not buy card only sets now I enjoy collecting and playing with the miniatures and I am not into bilding kits for this game as I have said before one of the main things that I like is the ready to fly models ,I have too much unpainted lead and plastic for my other wargames. But if there is a big enough market for the cards only game I am sure they will be made.

Pseudotheist
01-22-2012, 06:39
I seriously doubt balloons or heavy bombers would have seen the light of day if they had to do proof of concept in miniature form.

Oberst Hajj
01-22-2012, 06:48
I seriously doubt balloons or heavy bombers would have seen the light of day if they had to do proof of concept in miniature form.

A very good point and maybe one of the main reasons they are going to keep making the card version.

Canuck
01-22-2012, 07:01
I voted "I don't know". If the question had been "would you buy more cards?", I'd say no.

I am definitely a minis player, but I also recognize that there is a limit to how many minis one can reasonable take to a CON, provide storage for and actually play with - I mean how many Dr.1's, DVa's or DVII's do you really need? - apologies to those who are still searching for some to complete their collections.

I feel that unless Ares actually comes out with new aircraft and not simply new liveries, I will most likely not purchase any more minis. I wonder how many avid players are of like mind? Cards may be Ares' best way to introduce players into the game, but minis are what makes the game. Ask yourself, would you still be here if WoW was limited to cards? If Area can promote cards without loosing and momentum on minis, sure. If not ...

Ares still needs to focus on growing the market, else they will be left with players who already love the game but have all the minis that they can really use. Maybe cards are the answer, I still don't know.

Oberst Hajj
01-22-2012, 08:03
I can tell you all this, if they would have never made the minis, this site would not exist.

Tommy Z
01-22-2012, 09:04
Still support the card game, but I probably would not have bought the game if i hadn't seen the minis first, that's what caught my eye. I would love to be able to buy separate damage decks.

Jager
01-22-2012, 09:10
I think that cards should still be made, for many of the fore mentioned reasons. However, Herr Oberst is correct that many or most of us wouldn't be playing with our level of enthusiasm, if at all, without the minis. They tipped me over from a mild interest to must have.
That said, the card-based offerings should be the box sets. (and please get The Rain of Destruction out soon!!!).
Karl

Dwarflord22
01-22-2012, 19:10
Without the minis, I would not have been interested in the game; however, I believe the cards provide an important, affordable entry point for new players to begin the game.

Diamondback
01-22-2012, 19:22
I agree ,the longer it takes the new Ares group to get to market with the minis,,that door opens wider ,to me the "card" series ,,is like tipping your hand as to what you are gonna produce next in the mini line ..I myself really want to stay loyal ,,,but it is getting harder,,with each passing month.
That's another angle, a bit of a tease... maybe even some quiet Market Research, observing which planes in each new card set are most vocally and rabidly demanded from the minis side.

greenalfonzo
01-22-2012, 19:32
I'd like to see cards only if they do a whole bunch of new schemes to keep things interesting. I couldn't ever seeing myself playing with just cards again, however. Maybe just as a basic quickstart intro set for people to try out and see if they like the game or not.

I would never have found or been interested in the game w/o the minis, either.

hatfieldsinal
01-22-2012, 20:41
I like the cards because I can get more variety with them. A booster pack will provide multiples of about four different types of planes for the cost of one mini.

bsmith13
01-30-2012, 12:21
I'm another "Don't Know". I know that it is difficult to produce a lot of games. I personally prefer the minis version of WGF and WGS, but I know that there are players out there who can't afford a lot of minis...

Flying Officer Kyte
01-30-2012, 12:50
I need the boosters for my self builds.
Rob.

Harrier
01-30-2012, 14:49
Absolutely continue with cards. While I love minis (including the WoW/WoG planes), I've got tons of games and tons of minis, and I was really glad to have found a game where I didn't have to buy (and build and paint) yet more. Plus being able to snag a wide variety of planes in card form for much less cash is a great thing.

gully_raker
01-30-2012, 16:16
:thumbsup: Yes produce the Card version for sure. It allows a cheaper entry point & is very portable for Holidays & Travel.
Buying the Minis will come naturally.;)

Hunter
02-21-2012, 23:52
Still support the card game, but I probably would not have bought the game if i hadn't seen the minis first, that's what caught my eye. I would love to be able to buy separate damage decks.

Exactly right. I, too, would like to buy damage decks and extra maneuver decks (for the non ARES mini's - Shapeways, etc).

Nightbomber
02-22-2012, 05:28
:thumbsup: Yes produce the Card version for sure. It allows a cheaper entry point & is very portable for Holidays & Travel.
Buying the Minis will come naturally.;)

Absolutely true. I take my WoG cards with me on every trip and it's great how new people get attracted by the simplicity of the game rules. Frankly (ARES LISTEN TO THAT!) I have two copies of the core card game boxes (WYB and DoW) and one of the two is a travel set - cards may get some damage (arrrghh!) - while the first sets are held with care.

CappyTom
02-23-2012, 02:02
I think that cards should still be made, for many of the fore mentioned reasons. However, Herr Oberst is correct that many or most of us wouldn't be playing with our level of enthusiasm, if at all, without the minis. They tipped me over from a mild interest to must have.
That said, the card-based offerings should be the box sets. (and please get The Rain of Destruction out soon!!!).
Karl

So Karl are you just going to get 7 box sets when they come out? Oh and I said yes as I will intro players with the card game on travels as well.
;)
Thomas

Jager
02-23-2012, 04:52
Karl

So Karl are you just going to get 7 box sets when they come out? Oh and I said yes as I will intro players with the card game on travels as well.
;)
Thomas

Ummm..... :money::money::hmm:

richard m schwab
02-25-2012, 09:09
The boxed set with planes are O.K. You need the basic core sets with with cards only to quickly learn the game.

Rich

wargamer
02-25-2012, 09:54
The card version works nicely to learn the game on. On the other hand, there are going to be gamers who insist on using the cards to pick their teeth with, so I guess there is no safety there either.

The miniatures on the other hand are by no means idiot proof, there are always gamers who should not be trusted with miniatures (these are the types who can break an anvil by just touching it) .

Save the miniatures for fun (safe) groups and for demo's.

Ed2
03-04-2012, 15:10
Cards for road trips is a must.

Diamondback
03-04-2012, 16:04
So, Andrea & Co., at least from me, consider this a PLEA to reconsider the release of Rain Of Destruction in its originally-planned form, even if it does wait a bit until the game is back on its feet.