PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

sparty
01-21-2012, 12:28
Wings of Glory presents players with an opportunity to jump into the cockpit of a WW1 fighting plane. The rules are easy, mostly clear, and when combined with miniatures makes an incredibly attractive game.

For many of us, this is now our 6th or 7th year with the game system. For me, it's only my 2nd year, but the temptations are the same: How do I customize the game to fit my complexity needs while still retaining the easy entry to the system for newcomers and remaining true to the original rules?

In a recent series of posts in the rules section a good discussion came up surrounding the use of limited ammo rules and limited fuel rules. These are concepts that exist in other WW1 miniature games like Canvas Eagles, and Blue Max to some degree. Since Wings of War appears heavily inspired by Blue Max and a few other games from the 80s it's natural then to work toward an understanding of what was left out and why.

Ultimately, the decision is a personal one. Here are some general guidelines to help you evaluate the chrome, extra rules that add some refinement to the series, you want to add to the game:

Does this rule change a core gameplay rule?
How easily can I explain this rule to a new player?
Does this rule conflict with another rule already in play?
Could I live without this rule when playing in a "tournament" setting where house rules are discouraged?
Does this rule apply to the system or to a single situation or plane?
What kind of record keeping is required for this rule?
Is any additional equipment needed to implement the rule that's not a part of the base game sets?

These 7 questions can help you get a feel for what you are doing when you modify the game in some way.

Remember always that a new player is going to know the base rules, at best, and more likely is coming in fresh. They may have a hard time understanding anything situational. Rules that apply to single planes to try to balance them more (S.E.5a specific rules I'm looking at you...) and any rule revising already more advanced rules like altitude may be beyond their grasp.

Furthermore, you want to structure rules in layers. Don't just throw out a scenario with a bunch of scenario specific rules without first seeing how they implement one at a time. For example, if the rule is related to bombing, but you also have conditions for bombing, and restrict bombs to a particular plane...then you may want to apply those from broadest to most specific.

In this case, that'd be starting with the new rule regarding bombing, then moving to the special conditions, and finally applying the plane restriction. This will give you some idea of how each rule affects player strategy. It also gives you an idea of where to tweak if something becomes a problem. Often, you implement many special rules and the chrome ends up blinding the player.

Beyond that, you really want to focus on the core strengths of the game system as YOUR group sees fit. In some cases, groups will favor heavier realism over speed of play. In other cases, groups want to focus on the speed of maneuver and rules about movement because they're a tactics focused group. Whatever it is, make sure that the unintended consequences of your actions aren't to break the thing that you love most.

Finally, get buy in from your gaming group before trying anything new. If someone's not on board you're going to alienate them or potentially risk creating a gaming situation where someone didn't feel included so they actively work against the game. This is particularly true when a player quickly identifies a weakness or exploit for a rule.

For example, if you play with limited ammo, but not limited fuel...the goal for a player may be to stay out of the fray until ammo is either out or really low for the enemy before joining in. In doing that, teammates may feel put out and irritated because they feel like the player exploiting the situation is doing so SOLELY to prove a point.

In the end, it's a game. It should be FUN above all else. Make sure that you're watching folks during the game and reading their faces and listening to their questions. If you have rules that are frustrating players or getting too many questions...it's probably time to drop it. Have fun. Engage your gaming group before implementing anything new. Watch your six!

Baldrick62
01-21-2012, 14:30
In the end, it's a game. It should be FUN above all else.

:clap:Too true, and too often forgotten in the heat of the moment!

A 'game' is a game; a simulation can be something different.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-21-2012, 14:47
I'm right with you there Keith. We only change the rules for specific games. Usually we just play to kill using the official rules.
Rob.

john snelling
01-23-2012, 04:20
I never had a problem with a player staying out of the fray using limited ammo but, I use limited ammo for Lewis type guns only.

sparty
01-23-2012, 10:26
I never had a problem with a player staying out of the fray using limited ammo but, I use limited ammo for Lewis type guns only.

Could be nobody is willing to exploit the system too! It is, admittedly, a jerky thing to do. :)