PDA

View Full Version : WGFO: Fire in the Sky: The Australian Flying Corps in the First World War

Baldrick62
01-19-2012, 14:43
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Fire in the Sky: The Australian Flying Corps in the First World War Author:
Michael Molkentin ISBN:
9781742370729 Category:
History Format:
Paperback Summary:
A comprehensive study of Australia's military efforts in the Air during WWI, from the Formation of the Central Flying School at Point Cook, through the Half-Flight in the ill-starred Mesopotamia campaign to the 'COMAO' tactics of 2 and 4 sqns AFC on the Western Front at the end of the war. Almost half the book is taken up with the exploits of 67RFC/1AFC in Palestine, with lots of first-hand quotations of what conditions were like. What would have made it the complete 'one stop shop' for the AFC would have been soem detail on 5-8(Training)Sqns AFC in England, so you need to go to 'ANZACS over England' for their story. The book is very much about AFC rather than Australian flying, so while 'Harry' Cobby and Frank McNamara VC are well 'name checked', Aussies flying for the RNAS/RFC like Robert Little and 'Jerry' Pentland barely rate a mention. It's an easy 404 pg read, and should appeal to those interested in the AFC, general WWI military aviation, and the more obscure theatres of the Middle East.

gully_raker
01-23-2012, 18:35
:) Yes Michael only intended for it to cover the AFC & not try to cover all Aussie Pilots in the War.

I believe there is a book in preparation by Adrian Hellwig from Qld covering the Australians in the RNAS & there is the Book by the same A.H. "Australian Hawk over the Western Front" which tells the story of Roderick Stanley Dallas in the RNAS & RAF.

I can really recommend this book to anyone interested in Stan Dallas as Adrian has accessed lots of letters written by & to Stan Dallas during the War.

Zakopious
01-23-2012, 18:46
This book is available on Amazon.com for $16 - $26.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Fire+in+the+Sky+Australian+Flying+Corps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AFire+in+the+Sky+Australian+Flying+Corps&ajr=0

Carl_Brisgamer
09-09-2012, 01:00
This book is available on Amazon.com for $16 - $26.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Fire+in+the+Sky+Australian+Flying+Corps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AFire+in+the+Sky+Australian+Flying+Corps&ajr=0

I picked up a second hand copy in excellent condition today at the Carrara Markets on the Gold Coast for $10!!!

Win :)