PDA

View Full Version : My latest haul just arrived

Madboyo
01-18-2012, 00:41
Here's some pics of my latest haul from shapeways. Enough to keep me busy for a while.
I was pretty worried about production problems showing themselves. I'm glad to say that the haul arrived with only a few issues, all looked packing related. One of the planes was broken an squashed.

It didn't quite sprung into shape properly even after using hot but not too hot water technique. I'm hoping a touch of superglue should mend the break and straighten the model. Fingers crossed.

The Ilya Muromets type V had a squished tail. The hot water fixed the issue.

None of the models suffered from dropping bits. Which was excellent (the last two orders both suffered from this).

Here's a pi of the haul for all those interested.

Hopefully there will be a few more seaplanes in the mix after I finished these. I just missed out on the Sopwith Baby. As postage to this side of the work is so expensive I may have to wait.

Blauer Baron
01-18-2012, 00:54
The last picture is too tantalising not to comment on:....Ahhhhhhhh...he sighs:o

Flying Officer Kyte
01-18-2012, 01:32
That sure is an air armada Chris. Pity about the bend in the tail. I wonder if we are pushing the production system towards its limits with some of these?
I had an idea for just getting the main modules printed and then finishing them off with rod, like we do for metal models.
Rob.

GilmoreDK
01-18-2012, 01:44
That sure is an air armada Chris. Pity about the bend in the tail. I wonder if we are pushing the production system towards its limits with some of these?
I had an idea for just getting the main modules printed and then finishing them off with rod, like we do for metal models.
Rob.

You might have a point thereI think that carbon fibre rod (like this http://www.carbonfibreshop.co.uk/carbon-fibre-15mm-p-90.html?osCsid=b7g8q8sk0nu3v7klhg87evu2n5 would make really strong and yet light and flexible models. I think that styrene rod would do a good job as well.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-18-2012, 02:55
Good one Svend. I've bookmarked that one for future reference. One question. Have you actually ever used it, and if so how do you stop the ends fraying out when you cut it?
Rob.

Madboyo
01-18-2012, 03:05
You might have a point thereI think that carbon fibre rod (like this http://www.carbonfibreshop.co.uk/carbon-fibre-15mm-p-90.html?osCsid=b7g8q8sk0nu3v7klhg87evu2n5 would make really strong and yet light and flexible models. I think that styrene rod would do a good job as well.

Good idea. I prefer brass myself as its easy to cut and sand. If your looking for a seller try here: http://finneyandsmith.co.uk/finneyandsmith/Brass.htm

GilmoreDK
01-18-2012, 03:10
Have you actually ever used it, and if so how do you stop the ends fraying out when you cut it?
Rob.

Hi Rob

I never have had any problems with fraying. We use the poles as flight stand for the In Clouds of Glory game. Here we sharpen them with a file so they can be stuck directly into the foam terrain boards and they ave never frayed in any way - and we have used them for several years. The resin is really strong on them - Just use a fine graded file or saw. The thicker ones st 2-2,5 mm would actually make great stands for WoW as well as they can be really high without swaying due to their ligtness. i guess that with a proper heavy base you could make a 3 feet high stand.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-18-2012, 03:39
Thanks Svend. I'll give it ago on my next lattice machine then. I have only had experience with CF. tent poles shredding.
Rob.

Guntruck
01-18-2012, 04:15
Nice one Svend - bookmarked!