PDA

View Full Version : Aide Memoire

SoldierSteve
01-15-2010, 13:53
In the army we used to use Aide Memoires quite a lot. For those who have not come across them before they're a sort of handy summary of things that helps you to remember stuff you've been taught.

Anyway, being very new to WoW and having never really war-gamed in the past both my wife and I were finding it more and more difficult to to get to grips with all the rules. In a fortnight we have gone form having never seen a WoW game to having miniatures, doing ground attacks whilst being shot at, and using basic altitude rules. So it was all starting to get a bit confusing.

To help us overcome this problem I wrote out an Aide Memoire that covers the rules we have learnt so far and also added in a bit of poetic licence where I felt it was needed. Using it saves us both having to continually try to claw our way through the rule book to find the appropriate regulations in any given situation.

If this is a new idea for you I have attached mine for your perusal. It's spread over three pages which cover Movement (including altitude and overlapping), Additional Damage and Firing. I'm afraid they're written in English English so those of you who speak American English will have to forgive me for that. For now they only cover rules that we need although I expect I will have to add to them a bit especially when we get around to shooting down balloons!

If you want to please feel free to take them and modify them for your own use. Also please point out to me any glaring mistakes I have made.

IRM
01-15-2010, 15:42
No glaring mistakes, well perhaps one I'll get to later, and there's a few additional/optional rules that turned up in Burning Drachens and the Deluxe Set rules you might like to try:

MOVEMENT
There's an additional manoeuvre available to aircraft with Immelman cards in their deck: Overdive uses the sequence Stall-Dive-Straight and the plane loses a second level at the end of the Straight.

OVERLAPPING
It says you use the B deck in the deluxe rules (perhaps you don't have one which is why your rules use D? Doesn't really matter.), and only if the models can't physically be placed where they should end up. Bases are allowed to overlap even when you use this rule, but if the planes overlap at the same height they should use the Collisions rule (which might not be in your rules, it appears in BD but oddly not in the Deluxe Set rules).

ADDITIONAL DAMAGE
Note that rudder damage only affects the plane in the planning phase of the next turn, after that it has no effect.

Observer Wounded: In the Deluxe Set rules, if a single-seater draws this card the pilot is wounded. He then takes an extra manoeuvre to unjam guns and cannot fire after a steep manoeuvre, an Immelman/Split-S or a climb. 2 wounds kill the pilot. For 2-seaters, the pilot wounded card with 3 damage hits the pilot. Other numbers hit the observer.

ACK-ACK
With the virtual player rules the gun should wait 1 extra round before firing (the "manned" AA gun places the shell but it doesn't explode until after the next move. BD has the gun effectively take an extra round to load to simulate this).

GROUND TO AIR INFANTRY FIRE
Note that only special damage is taken, damage points are ignored.

SoldierSteve
01-16-2010, 07:20
Iain

Thanks for the detailed help. We have the Burning Drachens game so that was the source of my rules. I've read through everything you've written and my responses are below.

MOVEMENT. This is not a rule I have seen in our rule book anywhere and although it sounds good I think it is something I'll add in later when I've got my head round what we've already got.

OVERLAPPING. You're right. We use D's because we haven't got B's and both the A and C decks are in use already. However we dont allow the plane's bases to overlap at all because it is a bit awkward and we feel happier avoiding it. Also as yet we haven't invoked the collision rule but again that will probably come later.

ADDITIONAL DAMAGE. Thanks, read that one wrong. We've been applying it for the whole of the rest of the game which made it very difficult when you get both left and right rudder jammed cards!

The observer/pilot wounded, I don't know why I included it at this stage as we only fly single seaters however I will note what you've said for future re-writes.

ACK ACK. Point noted and Aide Memoire changed accordingly.

GROUND TO AIR INFANTRY FIRE. Point noted and Aide Memoire changed accordingly.