PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty removing planes form pakaging?

afilter
01-15-2010, 07:37
I bought two new Set3 planes last night (R.E. 8 and UFAG). They are packaged very well, but is it too much?

Upon trying to remove my R.E.8 the lower wing pulled away from the struts.:rolleyes: This is the second time this has happened to me mostly with the WWI planes.

I do not want to ruin the packaging, so it can be reused if I ever decide to sell my collection, but at the same time I do not want damaged minis because they are placed in there so tight.

I am not an engineer, but I would think the packaging tabs could be slightly smaller and still hold the mini securely. The second one I pushed the tab back with a hobby knife and it was still a tight fit getting the mini safely out.

The WWII planes are not as bad, but I did get a bent prop once because of the same issue.

Anyone else have this experience or thoughts on safely removing the planes?

Oberst Hajj
01-15-2010, 07:43
Yep, I think it happens to all of us. I lost the landing gear off a SPAD once and the top wing of another plane popped off a different time. I now just destroy the packaging. If I was to ever sell off my planes (a cold day in hell I know), I would just sell them in my foam trays anyways.

Scoop
01-15-2010, 07:48
Yeah, I experienced this in every packing but the Deluxe Set WWII. I use a Swiss-Army-Knife to push in the little plastic "bumps" (the gadget you use to make holes in belts, don't know the english word for that). It's a lot easier with the WWII planes than with the biplanes. In the Deluxe Set WWII they left the bumps away and put another plastic cover over the planes which works just fine. I think Nexus could leave the bumps at all, the planes are fixed all right without them.

SoldierSteve
01-15-2010, 08:21
Yes I had problems too recently although fortunately suffered no breakages. Perhaps if the makers read these comments they could consider them in future issues.

afilter
01-15-2010, 08:25
Yes I had problems too recently although fortunately suffered no breakages. Perhaps if the makers read these comments they could consider them in future issues.

That is my hope.;)

I agree no issues at all with the WWII deluxe set packaging, I wish they were all like that.

Grinneth42
01-15-2010, 08:31
I have had this problem also, but found that pushing straight up from the bottom (where the axle is) will safely remove the plane from the packaging. The remainder of the packaging semi-'warps' out of the way as you push.

And then I take the offensive packaging, jump up and down on it, and put it in a recycle bin. because it's evil, and it deserves it.

K

IRM
01-15-2010, 08:55
Can't say I've had any real problem with the packaging. I just do what Scoop already mentioned, push in the "bumps" with a thin screwdriver or similar and then tip out the plane into the palm of my hand.

Pseudotheist
01-15-2010, 10:06
I use a Swiss-Army-Knife to push in the little plastic "bumps" (the gadget you use to make holes in belts, don't know the english word for that).
It's an awl.

SoldierSteve
01-15-2010, 13:26
And then I take the offensive packaging, jump up and down on it, and put it in a recycle bin. because it's evil, and it deserves it.

K

Very strange!

Belis4rius
01-16-2010, 00:24
I use the push in with the knife method and have never had a problem, maybe we Scots have an affinity with sharp pointy things.

Dan-Sam
01-16-2010, 08:43
... I am not an engineer, but I would think the packaging tabs could be slightly smaller and still hold the mini securely. The second one I pushed the tab back with a hobby knife and it was still a tight fit getting the mini safely out. ...

Yes, I did it the same way as you and it woorks really well. The box itself is pretty good safekeeping even without the tabs.
When I play with a newbie, I am saying "Please, don't move the propellers, becouse some are turnable and some not." It is strange that is different in various planes :confused: