PDA

View Full Version : Reviresco SPAD XIII - Captain Eddie

Flyer53
01-08-2012, 07:20
Here's a few photos of my latest build. The 5 color camo is painted, the decals are all home grown. Thanks to all of you that helped me with suggestions on camo and color location. I'm sure what I have done is not 100% accurate, but will work fine for a game piece. I think it is instantly recognized as Rickenbacker's aircraft.

Here's Eddie's kite in action - #18

Mike W
01-08-2012, 09:40
I have several of the SPADs in my "to do" box. How hard was the build?

Flying Officer Kyte
01-08-2012, 11:42
:salute:That is a very fine build and paint /decal scheme David.
well done.:hatsoff:
Rob.

Blackronin
01-08-2012, 12:31
Very well done Spad XIII. I like it a lot.

Flyer53
01-08-2012, 16:12
I have several of the SPADs in my "to do" box. How hard was the build?

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. This Reviresco kit, unlike most of the others I have done, was a pretty easy one. All of the painting was done before assembly, and touchups were done after. Everything went together well, all the holes for the struts were even placed in the correct positions! The main struts have an "extra" piece molded into the end of each pair, to assist in getting everything lined up. This is a big help even though it is not true to the real aircraft. I painted this extra part the same color as the camo to help it blend in and dissapear a bit. There is a single inner strut that has been left out, presumably to help in assembly. It is possible to drill holes for this strut and create one from brass rod, but at this scale, it is hardly noticable. The inner V struts are present, and this is good enough for me. The tops of both main wings have the ribs a bit overdone. The bottoms are almost smooth and look much better. I have seen real canvas covered wings with wood ribs, and they are nowhere near as "bumpy" as the model. This "ribbing" effect makes the decals problematic. Too much decal solvent to make the decals conform to the wing, and you will probably destroy the ink on the decals. I tried comercial decals as well and had the same problem. The solution was using my own decals, and just a little bit of decal solvent is a good compromise. Also, if the decals are really to conform to the wing, the extreme ribbing makes the roundels become ovals! Overall, the decals on the top wing were the most frustrating, the build and even the painting was pretty easy.

David

jbmacek
01-08-2012, 18:23
Nicely done! And thanks for the info on the Reviresco kit.

Madboyo
01-08-2012, 18:31
A truly nice build. Well done!

Tommy Z
01-08-2012, 21:50
Well Done! :thumbsup:

Flying Officer Kyte
01-08-2012, 23:50
I often wet and dry the top wing on my models to reduce the ribbing effect if I am going to apply overall decals David.
Rob.

Ed2
01-10-2012, 08:04
1st class job Dave. Really nice.

flyingryno
01-10-2012, 08:59
Nice, looks good.

Jure
01-11-2012, 08:35
Excellent build and painting, David! I love the details! :clap:

Jure

Attila57
01-11-2012, 09:43
Well done!

Attilio

eriko76
01-11-2012, 12:12
Good job David,very nice model...
Enrico

Nightbomber
01-11-2012, 13:31
Well done, Sir! Just one small add on: you may consider applying some matt varnish to reduce the "glossy" effect. But it's a question of personal choice (the modelmaker in me had to add this :brickwal:).

Flyer53
01-11-2012, 17:35
Well done, Sir! Just one small add on: you may consider applying some matt varnish to reduce the "glossy" effect. But it's a question of personal choice (the modelmaker in me had to add this :brickwal:).

Actually, I sprayed the aircraft with semi-gloss. I did not want the finish to be absolutely matt or completely gloss. I must admit though, the canvas covered aircraft that I have seen first hand, are usually pretty shiney. Too shiney at this small scale does not seem quite right. So , I have settled for semi-gloss. The photos probably make it look more shiney than it really is. Thanks again to everyone for the compliments!

Flying Officer Kyte
01-12-2012, 00:57
Actually, I sprayed the aircraft with semi-gloss. I did not want the finish to be absolutely matt or completely gloss. I must admit though, the canvas covered aircraft that I have seen first hand, are usually pretty shiney. Too shiney at this small scale does not seem quite right. So , I have settled for semi-gloss. The photos probably make it look more shiney than it really is. Thanks again to everyone for the compliments!

One answer to this problem is to paint highlights onto the model, and then matt paint it. That way you only get the shine where you want it.
Rob.

flash
01-12-2012, 02:00
Looks great to me Dave - I will have to try a satin cote on mine

Guntruck
01-12-2012, 02:42
Good job David!

Dark Horse
01-12-2012, 03:13

I use Humbrol satin on all my models of whatever scale because i like a little shine on them.

Blauer Baron
01-12-2012, 03:27
:fixit:Sorry to say it, but according to my official wow Rickenbacker mini, the vertical stripes on the rudder should be at 45 degrees. Only joking...but could someone send some of these pictures to China, to encourage the overseers and workers to keep horizontal horizontal and vertical vertical, or at least for the quality control person, so they know what to look out for.:):please:

The Cowman
01-12-2012, 10:29
You make those of us here in Columbus proud David!

BobP
01-12-2012, 16:43
Nice job and good photos.

Flyer53
01-12-2012, 17:35
I use Humbrol satin on all my models of whatever scale because i like a little shine on them.

I have used Model Master Semi-Gloss, it's probably very similar to the Humbrol product. I think Model Master is a Testors' product. Make sure you spray with a coat of decal bonder first, the semi-gloss finish will eat the decals! (Please don't ask me how I know) The semi-Gloss is not too shiney, not too matte.....it's just right, at least for me!

Flyer53
01-12-2012, 17:41
You make those of us here in Columbus proud David!

Thanks Ken. I used to have a friend in Columbus by the name of Ken. He had a 35mm home movie theater and one of the movies he would show, was the one about Eddie. It's cool to know that Eddie was born in a city only four hours drive from my house!

By the way, when I was asking for links to SPAD color schemes, I got the most inspiration from the ones that you sent. Thanks again!

David