PDA

View Full Version : Ambushes, Spotting, etc

Kaiser
01-05-2012, 13:08
Well theusual games are two groups of aircrafts facing each other.
But this aren't very accurate scenarios if seen from a historical point of view.

Most of the time the aircrafts will patrol a given route/area or are heading in a certain direction where they are told that they can find enemy aircrafts.

Now they have to search the sky for enemy aircrafts and the formation which can spot the enemy early has the advantage as they can attack from a favourable direction.

To simulate this i have came up with a system for spotting.

For each pilot you draw a B-Damage Card
Every Flight or Kette Leader and gunner draws a A-Damage Card as they aren't occupied with maintaining formation and can search the skies freely.

Now you have two options:

1. Count all damage together. The side with the highest amount is the attacker.

2. Count only the highest damage drawn. The side with the highest amount is the attacker.

Option 2 will generate more draws though which i think is a good thing.

On a draw proceed as usual as both sides have found their opponents early enough that they had enough time to manouver to intercept.

Else the defender/suprised aircrafts are placed in formation in the middle of the gaming area.
The attacker can position his aircrafts (in formation) anywhere on the gaming area and at an altitude of his choice but has to maintain a distance of one ruler from any enemy aircraft.

The first manouver the defending aircrafts have to place is a Straight.
After this all can move freely as usual.

If the defender has drawn more Explosion Damage Cards than the attacker then he can move freely.

Rat of Vengence
01-05-2012, 14:04
I like option 2. Doesn't particularly lead to a fair game, but really gives it some narrative...

"They came at us out of the sun, poor Wilikins bought it before we knew they were there..."

Dave

Tommy Z
01-05-2012, 14:11
I like using these rules from the files section:

Although incorporating spotting values is interesting.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=197

jbmacek
01-05-2012, 14:35
We used that chart for placing planes at least once. I thought it worked well for adding an element of uncertainty.

Tommy Z
01-05-2012, 15:56
I also have a die with an arrow on it that once location is chosen we can use for facing, making it even more random.

Kaiser
01-06-2012, 02:56
Nice shart. Could be combined with my proposal :)