PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve Bombing Mission

crashx
01-01-2012, 15:16
I the failing light of dusk, a lone Allied Breguet angled accross no-mans land toward the German lines. Along with an SE5 for support, it had volunteered for a special, and very dangerous mission. It's job, bomb a French Chateau just behind the lines. Why?? Allied Intelligence reported just before Christmas, that German command had moved in and set up a "new" command center for this sector, believing this to be a possible spot in the lines for a new German offensive. And Allied Command wanted this knocked out so as not to disrupt their plans for an upcoming campaign. Not many stepped up for this mission, believing this to be a one-way flight, but war has a cruel way of finding Heroes and Fools to do the dangerous stuff.

Cruising in from the Northwest, the Breguet and his wingman was to cross and follow behind the German lines to the target down to the Southeast. While this exposed them to being sighted, Command felt that this would confuse the Germans to the real target, afterall, it was only a lone bomber, and surely any fighter patrols would be returning to their bases so they can could enjoy a good dinner of whatever drool the Germans had. The Allied Commanders had rolled the dice on this one!!!

But fate looked to be against them tonight, as two German patrols were late coming in. A DVII and a DR1 far to the Southwest, and a lone DR1 close to the Northeast that could intercept them as they crossed the German lines. The pilot of the Breguet, as well as the SE5 pilot were veteran flyers, they knew their jobs and would do it!!! They held their course!!!

The lone DR1 closed in with it's guns blazing, but doing little damage to the Breguet, as the SE5 kept it at bay. It circled and dropped in behind the Breguet, trying to get a good angle, but the SE5 knew this too and came in behind the DR1, ripping pieces of tail section off the DR1. German Command was not going to be happy losing another of the Kaisers Kids!!! As the Breguet crossed the German lines, it made its turn to line up for the bombing run, as he had done this a few days before flying recon for Allied Intelligence taking pictures of the area. Of course then, he was flying much higher and the German patrols were busy with our fly guys!!

With the Breguet pilot concentrating on the bombing target, and the gunner shooting it out with the DR1 on their tail, the DVII and the other DR1 from the Southwest had moved in from the right into attack range. Things were starting to look grim!!! The DVII started to score some hits, rocking the Breguet. Holding course was becoming difficult, but they knew their jobs and would do it!!!

Finally, the bomb release point came, and the lever was pulled dropping their bomb load. They dropped all of them, as they would only get one chance!!! The DVII was good, and he was scoring good hits!!! They knew their jobs and would do it!!! The Breguet had banked to the right, when suddenly there was a violent explosion from behind that made the plane lurch!!! My God, we are going to die!!! But the Breguet kept it's course!!! The DR1 that was on their tail had exploded and was a ball of flame crashing down toward the trenches!!! Then the bombs hit!!! The gunner screamed to the pilot, "We got it, we blew the bloody thing to hell"!!!! More hits from the DVII as it dove past and started to arc around for another pass. It was time to leave!!!! Turning towards the Allied lines, the Breguet spun the engine to full RPM's, and had they a set of paddles, they would be using them as well!!!

While the SE5 was keeping the last DR1 busy, the DVII was was starting to drop in behind the Breguet, and the Breguet was looking real ragged!!! Then the DVII got a serious hit!!! The Breguet was smoking, and fate had changed again!!! Eventhough the SE5 had moved into a position behind the DVII, the DVII was still scoring hits!!! God, he's good!!! The Breguet had serious rudder damage and was starting to shake, the end was near!!!

But war is ever changing, and off to the Northeast, in the failing light of dusk was another plane that was angling in. "A Snipe, overthere", my gunner yelled!!! But the DVII was all over us, and I had now taken a bullet!!! He would be too late!!! Then the gunner yelled again, "the DVII is smoking and turning away"!!! We had forgot about the SE5, my wingman, he had done good damage to the DVII!! He was good too!!! The German planes were turning away to go back toward their lines, this had turned into a bad evening for the Germans, and German Command, not counting those that we bombed, would not be happy!!! We knew our jobs, and we did it!!!

jbmacek
01-01-2012, 15:37
Very nice. I like the use of flame markers and tokens.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-02-2012, 02:04
:salute:Nifty bit of work there old chap. A mention in despatches at least. i wouldn't be surprised if there were not a gong or two in the offing.
Kyte.

itchy
01-02-2012, 02:42
very good love the write up .

The Cowman
01-02-2012, 03:02
Nice AAR! Great way to bring in the New Year!

tech42
01-02-2012, 05:34
Very nice AAR, great way to start the year.

grumpybear
01-02-2012, 05:47
Well done

Nightbomber
01-02-2012, 06:30
Excellent story and pictures. Thanks for posting it!

CappyTom
01-02-2012, 17:38
Great AAR, thanks for sharing.

Tom

Dwarflord22
01-02-2012, 17:48
Nice battle report with narrative and pictures! :clap: Thank you for posting!! :thumbsup: