PDA

View Full Version : The wifes plane!

SoldierSteve
01-12-2010, 14:45
Our first set of miniatures arrived today so I asked my wife which one she would prefer to play with. Her answer was of course "the red one":rolleyes:

This got me thinking, do other people allow their wives to play and if so do they also choose their plane according to it's colour?:D

afilter
01-12-2010, 14:54
Our first set of miniatures arrived today so I asked my wife which one she would prefer to play with. Her answer was of course "the red one":rolleyes:

This got me thinking, do other people allow their wives to play and if so do they also choose their plane according to it's colour?:D

Wife, no, Daughter yes....and she always picks on color. Infact she prefers WWI over WWII because the planes are prettier. :rolleyes:

I have a pink spitfire in the plans for her though.;)

Dan-Sam
01-12-2010, 14:54
Yes, it is one of the most important criterion :) The next two are size and shape of plane ;) Something like manoeuvrability or number of guns are so irrelevant :)

Dan-Sam
01-12-2010, 14:59
Wife, no, Daughter yes....and she always picks on color.
I have a pink spitfire in the plans for her though.;)

No problem :)
The picture is form this site: http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image8237.html

afilter
01-12-2010, 16:45
No problem :)
The picture is form this site: http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image8237.html

I have actually seen pictures of a pink Spitfire before. I believe I read they were used for recon missions. One of the spitfire cards in the game is actually pink, I cannot recall if it was in the set or booster pack.

Oberst Hajj
01-12-2010, 22:21
That pink Spitfire almost ended up being the mini in the WWII Deluxe Set! Andrea said there was enough push back from people saying they did not want to fly a pink plane!

Dan-Sam
01-12-2010, 22:56
... I believe I read they were used for recon missions. ...

Yes, you are right - this camouflage was on reconnaissance planes which flew in morning hours to taking photographs of night bombing results. It was a good choice of colour on red sky (rosy down or aurora - I am not sure which word is the right).

The Blue Baron
01-13-2010, 00:20
Hm, maybe I should paint a purple plane with the H.I.M. (the band) logo as markings for her...
;)

LGKR
01-13-2010, 06:05
My wife does play and she usually plays what ever is available. She's not much of a historian. Our local Wings of War league has a married couple that plays every week. The wife flys Rhan's Fokker triplane, she does have a sparkly seahorse decal on it.

Pseudotheist
01-13-2010, 07:02
do other people allow their wives to play
Allow?!!?
In most cases I think "beg" would be a more appropriate word to use there.

But yes, I "allow" my wife to play.
I also allow her to drive a car and have a job...

Sorry, that was entirely too snarky, but I couldn't stop myself...

Grinneth42
01-13-2010, 07:48
I was also going to highlight 'allow'... lol... I allow my wife to play, but only if she's barefoot! Actually, my wife enjoys playing, and is frequently the one to suggest that we do. Her choice of planes is not based on color, however, but instead on 'Snoopy'.

The Blue Baron
01-13-2010, 08:18
Allow?!!?

Two thumbs up, Todd!

afilter
01-13-2010, 08:18
Allow?!!?

:D

Yeah my wife cannot play because she is too busy with cooking, cleaning, laundry and other womanly duties. ;)

SoldierSteve
01-13-2010, 08:59
:D

Yeah my wife cannot play because she is too busy with cooking, cleaning, laundry and other womanly duties. ;)

Yes I can concur with that. I only allow her to play if she has completed her domestic duties first;) I also only allow her to drive the car if either I'm not in it or I'm under the influence of an alcoholic beverage:D

Cujo8-1
01-13-2010, 14:18
Trying to get my wife to participate is similar to foreplay...I spend three hours begging!:eek:

Oberst Hajj
01-13-2010, 15:51
You guys are cracking me up!

aarondpjames
01-15-2010, 02:08
Trying to get my wife to participate is similar to foreplay...I spend three hours begging!:eek:

I know what you mean, but I cant get mine to do either, regardless of how much begging I do!!!

Jäger
01-15-2010, 02:49
Once a month I ask my girlfriend to play with my tiny planes. It's quite seldom, but I survive, and she says that I'm very irritating when I begin to beg. :D She knows nothing about history of airwar and warplanes, but she really had learnt about different decks: she wants only fly with the Sopwith Snipe and the Camel, and once when I gave her the Nieuport 17 (against my Albatross D.III, because I prefer historical realism) she cursed it to the hell because it wasn't so sturdy and manoeuvrable as the Snipe is. :D But after all, she is really good when she has the right plane, it's always dangerous to engage "her" planes.
Nowadays I play more than before because I have taught the game to my little brothers and their friends (age about 11 - they love it, and there are many planes during the game!), and to many of my own friends. But there are no "real" WoW players here in Finland, that's why I shoot kids and rookie friends down from the sky. ;)

bravofour
01-17-2010, 21:30
Ive asked the wife to play many times, but the answers always no:(
Now my two and three year old would love to get theri little fingers all over my minis! Once I came downstrairs to my Space Marine Company taking fire from a two yearold with frostedflakes! the Three year old was then picking them up and, using real bandaids, healing their wounds. Never before and never again (I hope) have I seen so many Space Marines with BOO BOOS:p

Charlie3
01-23-2010, 04:01
Ive asked the wife to play many times, but the answers always no:(
Now my two and three year old would love to get theri little fingers all over my minis! Once I came downstrairs to my Space Marine Company taking fire from a two yearold with frostedflakes! the Three year old was then picking them up and, using real bandaids, healing their wounds. Never before and never again (I hope) have I seen so many Space Marines with BOO BOOS:pStart 'em early and you'll have game mates for life! My kids (21 and 17) only play occasionally now but can be talked into it with out too much work. The wife? in the last 26 years...maybe 3 or 4 times. She is my best critic for paint jobs however, her comments won me a painting contest once!

Bharder
01-23-2010, 10:00
I sometimes 'allow' my wife to play. She asks to play quite often. She has a bad habit of shooting me down rather quickly though. And of course she doesn't fly right: she never does what any normal combat fighter would, you can never anticipate her manouvers. Even if you try to anticipate the opposite of what you think she should do, it doesn't work.

Papavader
01-23-2010, 10:23
My cohabitant, likes the red Fokker DR.I with Richthofen.
Of Course she likes the Red Albatros D.III with Brumowski...;)

Generally the German Planes they are so gaudy :D

greet's
Andreas

Jäger
01-24-2010, 10:59
Is it common that spouses try to avoid extra rules, such as all special damages and altitude rules? My girlfriend's opinion is that the game is funnier when there are as few rules as possible. And, naturally, I can't agree with that. Is this common elsewhere?

SoldierSteve
01-25-2010, 01:27
Is it common that spouses try to avoid extra rules, such as all special damages and altitude rules? My girlfriend's opinion is that the game is funnier when there are as few rules as possible. And, naturally, I can't agree with that. Is this common elsewhere?

Funny!:mad: This game is not funny. It is a matter of life and death. I can see that you need to get a grip of your girlfriend;)

My wife finds the altitude rules difficult especially when it involves ground targets. However I'm sure this will come OK in time. Probably something to do with the fact women have smaller brains:D

Dan-Sam
01-26-2010, 14:43
I found a picture which perfectly describe situation of many players :cool: :) It is from Board Game Geek.

Hamburger
10-07-2010, 15:39
I have no opinion in this post simply because....

I'M NOT MARRIED!!! :D:D:D:D:D

FREEDOMMMMMMMM!!!!!! but I still live with my parents....

heck. that was unnecessary. I'm not even 18! :p

Wolfbiter
10-07-2010, 15:50
"Allow" is probably the wrong word for me. "Thrilled" that my wife plays? Definitely, and more so that she likes the game so much!

But yes, the first plane we ordered for my wife was Schafer's Fokker D.VII, because she liked the color scheme. It turned out the plane worked quite well, too. How about that. (/Reaches for parachute as wife shoots me down. Again.) :D

But she also likes Richtofen's red Dr.I.

rkhlegacy
10-07-2010, 16:17
My wife loves the game and we have played several sorties. She Always wants to be the allies and she enjoys flying the Snipes or Camels. She likes the Spads but has a harder time flying them. Oddly enough I figured she would go for the more colorful Central Powers aircraft but no she is partial to the Entente allies.

Rathicus
10-07-2010, 17:06
My wife won't play games with me and the fellas because she says that she doesn't want to see grown me cry when she beats them. She says she'd rather cook for us, so we just smile and say thank you. =)

g.paoletti
10-08-2010, 01:08
My wife used to play RPG with me (long time ago), I tried to involve her in boardgames without success (only Munchkin). She don't like historical wargames at all. My hopes are founded on my little son :D

G.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-08-2010, 02:18
My wife used to play RPG with me (long time ago), I tried to involve her in boardgames without success (only Munchkin). She don't like historical wargames at all. My hopes are founded on my little son :D

G.
I understand that Joanna and Ludo are quite adept at R.P.G. but you would have to ask Bumblie about that ;).
Rob.

g.paoletti
10-08-2010, 02:41
I understand that Joanna and Ludo are quite adept at R.P.G. but you would have to ask Bumblie about that ;).
Rob.

Are you talking about bumblie3? I don't know her, but I would be very interested to listen his story now. :confused:

(Sorry but) Who are Joanna and Ludo?

G.

Pope
10-08-2010, 03:09
My Boys and I have a plan to get my wife to try a game on Sunday. Just in case it works I heading off to my LGS to pick a plane for her. Which may just happen to be the second SE 5A that I want and in case she doesn't like that one I'd better get the second Snipe that James wants and any red plane in the store as Dan the youngest (6) just wants a red plane not green or brown.

Happy Days in the Roberts household this weekend as our dog fights start to expand. I think we may even have to start thinking about the new kitchen table my wife has been talking about. Not that it's related to providing a big playing area for WoW:D

Cheers, Aled

bumblie3
10-10-2010, 05:03
Are you talking about bumblie3? I don't know her, but I would be very interested to listen his story now. :confused:

(Sorry but) Who are Joanna and Ludo?

G.

Hi G, there is a long running joke on the site. A Joanna is a nickname for a piano, and Ludo is a board game which has been around for years, but we pretend that Joanna and Ludo are barmaids in the Officers Mess, and they are frequently the subject of double entendres, such as Kytey (F.O. Kyte) getting a good tune out of Joanna, for some spare change.:eek::eek:
It confuses a lot of people not familiar the British sense of humour! Sorry about that.
John (Bumblie3)

bumblie3
10-10-2010, 05:12
Rob.
As an Orificer and Nameltneg, I simply could not comment on their interest or involvement in R.P.G.s, but I do like the ones involving St Trinians outfits.....:o:o:o:):):):D:D:D;)
Bumblie3

AlgyLacey
10-10-2010, 13:06
As an Orificer and Nameltneg, I simply could not comment on their interest or involvement in R.P.G.s, but I do like the ones involving St Trinians outfits.....:o:o:o:):):):D:D:D;)
Bumblie3

And very fetching the skirt and stockings are on you.:rolleyes:

Now leave the nice people from other counties alone old chap.

Don't buy him any more beer G.;)

g.paoletti
10-10-2010, 14:27
And very fetching the skirt and stockings are on you.:rolleyes:

Now leave the nice people from other counties alone old chap.

Don't buy him any more beer G.;)

Hi at all,

first, I would to thank you very much for the crossed explanations, altough theese last makes me more confused than ever. :confused:

Second, for me should be impossible deny a beer to anyone and I hope to be soon in England to share some of it togheter. ;)

Bye.

G.

Pope
10-10-2010, 14:32
Hi at all,

first, I would to thank you very much for the crossed explanations, altough theese last makes me more confused than ever. :confused:

Second, for me should be impossible deny a beer to anyone and I hope to be soon in England to share some of it togheter. ;)

Bye.

G.

Gino,

Your better off visiting Wales.

Cheers Aled

Goering Ace
10-10-2010, 18:49
I've never asked my wife to play nor has she ever asked to play. I think she likes it when Hunter and I head off for one of our missions, because that means she has an hour or two of peace and quite without the boys bugging her.

Hunter once mentioned getting Mom to play, but I shut down that idea quickly. I enjoy the father son time and don't really want the wife involved. Then again, I don't think she has any real interest in playing, so we're all good. :)

Scott

Doug
10-10-2010, 19:06
My wife refused to have anything to do with wargaming her idea of fun? was gardening. Now I am seperated I can indulge as much as I like without getting abused or sent to the asslylum. On the other hand my 2nd son's girlfriend like the game, but planes are chosen by colour alone. Eg she has the pink and green Rolland CII and the purple and green Rumpler ect also knows nothing about fighting or technical data, but will do the odests mamuvers which end up with an opponent being shot down!

Coog
10-10-2010, 19:10
I would stand a better chance of getting my Siamese cat to play than my wife. At least he has shown an interest in moving the planes around. Now if I could only teach him to read the cards!

Gallo Rojo
10-11-2010, 06:43
do other people allow their wives to play and if so do they also choose their plane according to it's colour?:D

oh boy! I choose my planes according to its color! :D

in my case is a Fokker Triplane painted blue and yellow (top and lower wings on blue, middle one in yellow) after the colors of my favorite soccer team here in Argentina (Boca Jrs), when I'm playing the central powers; and a SPAD XIII with a decal representing a fighting red rooster (just like my avatar) when I play the Allies. :D

rrodrick
10-11-2010, 21:58
My wife has no interest in WoW or any of the board games I play. I am thankful, though, that she is supportive. I knew I was doing okay this weekend when we were in Roseville, MN and she drove to the Fantasy Flight Event Center and waited while I went in to buy one of the "new planes." A lovely new Rumpler it is!

von Klauser
10-12-2010, 22:57
I don't have a wife but I have found that the lady players are usually underestimated and can do some serious damage because of it. And everyone you have shot down winds up in her cheering section as she drops out of the sun on you.

g.paoletti
10-14-2010, 02:12
Gino,

Your better off visiting Wales.

Cheers Aled

I will not miss to visit Wales too.

G.

DaveZee
10-14-2010, 15:53
My wife is more of an Apples to Apples game player, but I'm trying to use my kids to convince her to take up a plane... :)

Boney10
10-28-2010, 10:17
My wife playing??? nope, not unless she can knit1 & pearl 1 at the pretty yellow tail with the funny cross on it (sigh)

Burt
10-28-2010, 10:45
My wife thinks all wargamers are smelly and a bit odd and has nothing to do with them.
There is nothing I could do to even get her to play a game of cards, she can't stand any games. I get an occasional game with my son or a couple of friends now and then.
Don

Rathicus
11-02-2010, 17:29

G.

Hmmm... just a thought... use the White Wolf Pub or Hero systems to do a RPG as WW1 or 2 pilots and use WoW for the dog fights. I may have to do that.
Dave

jbmacek
01-04-2011, 09:48
My wife tends to want to fly the planes that will kick the most butt. She has actually surprised me by being as interested in Wings of War as I am. She's a gamer (in fact, she been a gamer for longer than I have, and I've been a gamer for ~35 years), but she generally doesn't have much interest in war games. For whatever reason, she really enjoyed playing WoW, and has jumped on the minis buying bandwagon with me.

Albert Ross
05-01-2011, 20:43
My wife thinks all wargamers are smelly and a bit odd and has nothing to do with them.
Don

So does mine! But she does enjoy Wow (always flies for the allies - something about chip shops being bombed in the old country), as well as chess the Axis & Allies D-Day board game

gully_raker
05-02-2011, 03:43

:) G'day Steve! She obviously believes the old "chesnut" If its RED it goes Faster :lol:

Not in the case of the Dr1 but it manouvers like the very devil!

Wombat
05-02-2011, 21:38
I got completely shot out of the sky yesterday. Me and my wife to be flew three planes each. She most of all loves the Dr.I, and pretty much hates the Albatros D.V. If she fly for the allies she prefers the SE.5 with Camel as a close second. She's not going for colour, rather for manoeuvrability.
In yesterday's dogfight I flew two SPADs and a Nieuport against her two Dr.Is and a Fokker eindecker. That's how much she scorns the Albatroses; she even prefers the eindecker before them! :) I seriously hurt the eindecker and one of the Dr.Is, but she quickly shot down Luke Jrs SPAD (blown up by the first salvo), and shortly thereafter my Nieuport. Soon I gave up and ran away with my remaining SPAD. :)

Flying Officer Kyte
05-03-2011, 04:58
That's the wat to keep a playing partner happy Jorgen. You now need to convince her that as her planes are much better than yours you need to buy more types to try out against her superior models.
Rob.

Linz
05-03-2011, 05:34
Rob
Here's hoping there are no wives reading this. They may just suss you out then there will be trouble.
You do know they can communicate across miles without saying a word. If one of them gets even a sniff of this they will all know within minutes. Its scarey mate real scarey
Linz

gully_raker
05-05-2011, 16:30
[QUOTE=Pseudotheist;8115]Allow?!!?

I thought thats what wives were for plus of course Cooking, Cleaning & er other things! :eek2::D

Gee I hope there are no wives active on the Forum or Iam in BIG trouble. :(

Hunter
05-06-2011, 01:33
My cohabitant, likes the red Fokker DR.I with Richthofen.
Of Course she likes the Red Albatros D.III with Brumowski...;)

Generally the German Planes they are so gaudy :D

greet's
Andreas

That's why they're cool!

Bluedevil
05-06-2011, 01:59
The women in my family are definitely not interested in games :(...But luckily I have a son who is :)... and he has friends who are :clap:...So I am one of the lucky guys I suppose;)...