PDA

View Full Version : Do you play Computer Games?

Belis4rius
01-11-2010, 04:31
I have been intrigued by the other thread on the subject of which games we all play. I believe only one admits to playing a computer game. I have dabbled with computer wargaming for years and have never been satisfied despite my hopes.

But that kind of changed about three years ago, I really was addicted for a time but now play only for fun, so at the moment;

Dawn of War 2 (sci-fi)
Company of Heroes (WWII company/platoon level)
Rise of Flight (WWI Aerial, sadly not my cup of tea and almost done with it)
WoW PBEM (not a real computer game but PC required)

ff151
01-11-2010, 04:43
Day of Defeat
Day of Defeat Source
Battlefield 2 (pretty good jet and helicopter pilot!)

Dan-Sam
01-11-2010, 05:17
I am playing arcade Wings of Honour - Red Baron now. Just for fun, becouse there are just about 10 planes and 22 short missions. But it is pretty good for short breaks in my learning for exams at university :)
From other wargames, I like Commandos serie and Korea, Forgotten Conflict.

SoldierSteve
01-11-2010, 05:55
Does minesweeper count?:D

Dan-Sam
01-11-2010, 06:26
Does minesweeper count?:D

Only on expert level ;)

SoldierSteve
01-11-2010, 07:24
Only on expert level ;)

Oh no! I'm not that good!!!!!!!!!!

Ace of the Reich
01-11-2010, 07:47
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 1942
Command and conquer
Company of heroes

Grinneth42
01-11-2010, 07:52
I stick mostly to first-person shooters and puzzle games... so:

Anything Halo
Bioshock
Oblivion/Elder Scrolls
Portal
Assassin's Creed

and randomly, Avatar Golf

afilter
01-11-2010, 08:14
Battlestations Miday-My favorite
Risk
ACW simulations- I have not played in awhile cannot recall the maker.
AAA- Basicallt Axis and Allies board game for the PC
Entire Medal of Honor serries for PS2
Famous Aces-Wii

Received Battlestations Pacific for X-mas, but have not been successful in getting it to load yet:rolleyes:

I am not a big PC gamer or PS2/Wii, but my kids cannot get enough and quickly take over the few games I do have. ;)

nachinus
01-11-2010, 08:15
Two must haves in Air Combat Simulation:
-Battle of Britain 2 Wings of Victory
-IL-2 Sturmovik complete

In the same genre, a highly advisable ww1 air combat CFS3 addon:
-Over Flanders Fields

Many Paradox Entertainment games (historical big scale strategy games, quite depth yet very playable):
-Hearts of Iron 2 & 3 (ww2)
-Europa Universalis 3 (from Renaissanse to lace wars)
-Europa Universalis Rome Gold (from Phyrric wars to Augustus)
... and others. The company covers many historical timeframes

I also like tactical simulation wargames, I currently play :
-Close Combat series (my fav is 'A Bridge Too Far')
-Combat Mission Shock Force with its addons (modern day tactical wargame, quite awesome)

I enjoy good RPGs too:
-Oblivion
-The Witcher

Rum Demon
01-12-2010, 15:33
I was hoping SOMEBODY would mention Combat Mission and Close Combat. Both damn good tactical sims which IMO have yet to be matched.

I bought a computer back in '99 specifically to play Close Combat. It was Microsoft's top-down WW2 real time strategy game. Battallion level and below. You give general orders to a squad and those men (each individual with his own spec sheet) do their best to follow through. They'd take a second to muster up, then move out, reacting to things like terrain and suppressing fire. They'd scream and panic and get pinned down, so using squads together, offering supportive fire was essential. Your average RTS twitcher who plays StarCraft could never get on with a game like that. Zerglings have no sense of self-preservation. Close Combat was a damn fine game, though it did have some problems with how the armor was modeled...

So in 2002 I upgraded to a new PC specifically to play Combat Mission. That game took things to the next level with 3-D terrain and units. You still had to use semi-realistic combined arms tactics, but now instead of RTS, it was a clever "simultaneous turn-based" system in which both players give (or update) orders, then watch one minute of combat play out. Such a deep game. So great. Though I did miss having a spec sheet for every last soldier...

Sadly, I've moved onto a Mac, and do my gaming on the 360. Mostly FPS and RPGs, but I truly lost a few years there to some fine fine PC military gaming.

So yeah. I play video games.

-Joe

IRM
01-12-2010, 23:03
I'm a fan of the Combat Mission series too, the modern-day Shock Force being my favourite. I'm also quite fond of RPGs (Dragon Age just now), military flight sims and the Total War series.

StormforceX
01-13-2010, 06:02
I play mostly sport games on computer, such as golf an:(d football (soccer if your American.......why do you call a game played mostly with the hands Football?)

franc3555
01-13-2010, 07:30
Fan of planes... try the new demo of wings of prey You will need a good computer and better with a joystick !!! The graphic = 9,5/10 :-)

http://www.airwargame.com/eng (official web site with pictures and videos)

you will find the demo on this web site :

http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/demo-jouable-wings-of-prey-actu-318172.html (french)

http://www.filefront.com/15253053/Wings-of-Prey-Demo/ (english)

Cujo8-1
01-13-2010, 14:06
I would really like to find a good World War I fighter game, but just can't seem to find one with good reviews.

Otherwise, I am content with playing war / boardgames against people sitting across the table from me.

razide
01-13-2010, 15:51
Thanks Franc3555 - I'll have alook at Wings of Prey this weekend.

I've been thinking of trying to re-install my old BaronBaron PC game on an XP PC to see if it still works. Another old favourite was EuropeanAirWar.
Still play SteelPanthers games occassionally along with CloseCombat3.
Some Dawn of War 2 - dislike having to connect to the internet for it. Sometimes Harpoon.
Loved RedStormRising on the Amiga.

Have RedBaron Arcade demo for PS3. The planes look ok but flying through coloured symbols for power ups is just too bizarre besides my reflexes are that fast these days.
I think the most addictive PS3 game is Fallout3.

IRM
01-13-2010, 16:05
Razide: You don't need to connect to Windows Live to play DOW2, if you're not connected and you sign in it'll say that it can't connect but still allow you to play as normal.

Re Red Baron: I play Red Baron 3D on my Windows 7 system. I have the Full Canvas Jacket mod installed, but the base game is the same (just 100+ extra planes and far better graphics:)). You will need to use something like Isobuster to install it and a Glide wrapper to emulate the original 3DFX graphics.
Have a look here:http://www.hellsangels.firstflare.com/main.htm

razide
01-13-2010, 21:04
IRM: I recall seeing somewhere that you don't need to connect to WindowLive to play DOW2 but my setup doesn't progress if not connected.
Mind you the last time I tried the Eldar whooped me good and I haven't tried since.

I've the original Sierra RedBaron and had downloaded some files to upgrade to the 3D version but the old PIII it was on died and I haven't yet tried on the newer PIV with XP. I'll have alook at that site, thanks.
I've been spoilt by PS3 & PS2 console gaming where you simply stick in the disc and play. :(

Headhunter
01-14-2010, 01:24
Now:

Lord of the Rings Online
Dragon Age: Origins
Batman Arkham Asylum
Anno 1404
Fallout 3

Past:

A lot.

franc3555
01-14-2010, 05:02
Cujo8-1 : http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/wings-of-war/ maybe that will interest you !!! This one is more arcade than simulator but maybe you will download the demo on this page

Papavader
01-14-2010, 06:01
Hi folks...

I Play first of all, Call of Duty Modern Warefare 2
-Dawn of War 2
-Empires Total War
-Company of Heroes, Opposing Fronts , and Tales of Valor
-John Tillers Campaign Series ( Matrix games)
-Left 4 Dead

MfG

Andreas

Pooh
01-14-2010, 13:54
I'm not much into computer games. I game mostly for the fun of getting together with friends. WoW is perfect for that as it plays fast with lots of interaction and is simple to play.

Pooh

Jäger
01-15-2010, 06:57
- Half-Life 1 & 2 (+ Counter-Strike: Source)
- Command & Conquer / Red Alert
- Combat Mission 1, 2 & 3
- Steel Panthers: World at War
- Strategic Command 1 & 2
- Silent Hunter III
- Star Wars: Empire at War

richard m schwab
01-17-2010, 06:01
My own computer gaming goes back to 1969. I played in a Civil 25mm game
and the combat results were generated over a phone connection connected to a main frame 10 miles away.
If you are as old as i am you might remember the arcade game THE RED BARON MACHINE. That gave out tokens for kills and high scores i hold the Flying Ace Medal and the Red Baron patch many times over.
My PC days go back to the C-64 playing Seven Cities of Gold and Pirates of the Caribbean. My favorite clone game was and is still Master of Orion. Secrete Weapons Of the Luftwaffe was a great one. Doom by the hour. Now i do mainly shooters and have been up through ranks of Call of duty 4 online several times.

Carlos Lopes
01-17-2010, 09:31
Hello

I play Call of Duty Modern Warefare on internet
and now my old Wing of War (computer combat flight simulation)

Cruthers
01-28-2010, 01:47
Rome Total War
Silent Hunter 3
Neverwinter Nights (for which I build mods under the name of Quillmaster)
Dragonage Origins
Fallout 3

SgtWaka
02-06-2010, 18:51
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 2
Forgotten Hope
Flyboys
Pacific fighters
Medal of Honor
Call of Duty

sparty
02-06-2010, 19:25
Mass Effect
Civilization 4
HPS Simulations Campaign Gettysburg
Galactic Civilizations 2

It's funny but if I had to guess my total time investment in these games in the last 6 months has been tiny with the exception of Mass Effect. Before my kid was born I used to play a ton of Counter-Strike:Source, but it's just a lot more fun playing with him than shooting up people I've never met over the interwebs :)

Headhunter
02-10-2010, 05:04
New:

Overlord II
Mass Effect 2

sparty
02-10-2010, 05:29
How do you like Overlord? (Since we all know ME2 is awesome...)

Dorb
02-14-2010, 07:45
Belis4irus ...what is wrong with Rise of Flight? I just stumbled into it. http://riseofflight.com/en/about/features
It looks great and I was thinking of getting copy.

sparty
02-14-2010, 09:32
Hi Dorb here are a few things I dug up on Rise of Flight that steered me away from it.

Decent performance requires a very good rig. I just got my computer last year and I'm not sure it could handle it very well to be honest. I've got pretty high end stuff on it as well like an i7 processor, 6gb of 1066 DDR3 RAM, a 7200 RPM HDD and a GeForce 9600GT.

I don't like how the company has put out a bunch of uber-planes that dominate the planes they ship with the game. 2 average, but high use planes to be sure...now they're into creating the planes that have the best engine variants, with the optimal gun setups, etc. So if you buy into the game, look at spending at least another 32 - 40 dollars on planes to be competitive.

Patching seems to break and fix. So they'll patch the game and it'll fix the issues they noted, but break other things. It's like they don't have a true QA team to review patches, etc. before general release.

I'm waiting and hoping they release a "gold box" deal where you get the game in a stable patched up state with a large selection of addon planes at a much reduced price. Like 60 bucks for the game + 12 planes or something.

Dorb
02-14-2010, 14:01
Thanks for the info. My wife just gave me the green light the other day for a new gaming rig so the spec won't bother me, but good to know some inside info on the game. I think I will put this game on the sideline for now.

Bluedevil
03-20-2010, 07:24
Battlefield 2 ( computergame)
Dawn of war ( coputer Game )
Ogame ( browser game )

and also:

WH40K ( yeah yeah..I know:rolleyes: )
WoW PBeM ( computer moderated )
Boardgames
Squad leader ( the original )

Schwerpunkt
03-22-2010, 05:37
Rise of Flight
Empire:Total War (and now the Napoleon:Total War sequel)
Lord of the Rings Online (a lot of this one)

and still playing to a lesser extent Rome:Total War

razide
03-22-2010, 18:31
Accidentally discovered Gratuitious Space Battles for the PC this weekend.
http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/
Scroll down towards the bottom of the homepage to see some YouTube gameplay videos.

A very entertaining game of designing spaceships (from fighter, frigate & cruiser hulls), deploying them with behaviours & range options then letting the battle take its course.

The actual battles look wonderful even though you have no control when they run. The animated explosions, weapon beams, torpedoes, missiles look fantastic. Watching your ship's shields fail is a mortifying experience.

Flying Officer Kyte
03-30-2010, 06:27
Empire Total War
Rome Total War.
Gettysburg
Antitam.
Mostly, however, tabletop wargames. A.W.I, A.C.W, E.C.W. Zulu, And am just painting up a W of The Roses Army. Any good W.W.1 flight simulations available?
Rob.

IRM
03-30-2010, 08:56
Rise Of Flight and Over Flanders Fields (Microsoft CFS 3 mod) are recent sims you might want to take a look at.

There's a couple of older ones I prefer to those, with better single-player gameplay and simpler (but not simple) controls: Red Baron 3D (with player-made mods - Full Canvas Jacket - to improve the graphics and flight models) and the more lightweight but fun First Eagles (again with player-made mods to add new aircraft and campaigns and a more realistic flight model). You can pick up the base games for those for peanuts.

Flying Officer Kyte
03-30-2010, 09:22
Thanks Iain.
I'll look into those asap.
Rob.

Wolf
12-07-2010, 07:52
I play battlefield heroes it a free ea game.

The Cowman
12-07-2010, 08:02
I have played more computer and console games than I could possibly remember to list here... many types, many genres... but I would still rather sit at a table and face my "enemy" any day! (Even if it means they are on the network playing aginst me from across the table...) :D

Flying Officer Kyte
12-07-2010, 08:07
I have played more computer and console games than I could possibly remember to list here... many types, many genres... but I would still rather sit at a table and face my "enemy" any day! (Even if it means they are on the network playing aginst me from across the table...) :D
I'm with you Ken. You can't beat watching that bead of perspiration run down their brow, before you send them to ...... oh well|
Rob.

Du doch nicht!
12-07-2010, 09:48
In my past i played - ehrm... countless. Nowadays they became drastically less. The last games i did enjoy were "Oblivion" and "Fallout 3" - interrupted with some emulated "Wings". Oh and i loved playing Civilization 2 & 3 loooong time ago.

MayorJim
12-07-2010, 13:06
I'm mostly a board gamer...but enjoy ROME: Total War (with the EB mod) and Civilization IV BTS. Have also played Red Baron, but not for a few years. Am looking into Flanders Fields maybe sometime next year.

Skullduggery
12-08-2010, 00:30
I don't play as much as I used too. But I still play...
City of Heroes
Lord of the Rings online
occasionally pop in Starcraft
or Red Baron Arcade for the PS3( It is a videogame not a flight sim)
and many more than I can remember over the last 30 years

Gaz67
12-08-2010, 02:00
I'm hooked on "World of Tanks", it's only a Beta test at present. 15 players a side in mainly WW2 tanks (from PZ2 to Maus) with so far Russian, German and USA armour. (French (???) to arrive soon).

A few of us platoon up and play using Skype, great fun....

Beanie
12-08-2010, 04:16
I am a big Over Flanders Field Between Heaven and Hell fan.

Willi Von Klugermann
12-08-2010, 12:42
I am intrigued by Rise of Flight but I suspect my rig is not up to specs as the planes become very unstable when I hit the action. It is almost impossible to aim and shoot, even at stationary targets. I have managed to down some balloons but that is about it. I can't even strafe trucks/trains. I can't believe I'm that lame because I was a god in Red Baron.

Has anyone had a similiar experience?

Foobs
12-08-2010, 21:25
For me if I am not on my PS3 I am playing flight sims - IL2 and Rise of Flight

Doug
12-28-2010, 15:08
None, i have never had the patience or skill to play them. Just like the old way of gaming with people, not a machine that can out think me every time!

Hamburger
12-28-2010, 16:04
Oh buddy! I've played all the Star Wars. And blazing angels.

Aero825
12-28-2010, 19:18
Yes! Blazing Angels all the way, brother! I like star wars, and collect some of the legos, but haven't played any of the real games.

Cujo8-1
12-28-2010, 21:14
I have found my definitive WWI flying game: Over Flanders Fields with the Hat in the Ring Expansion.

Am also dabbling with Blood Bowl.

Jäger
02-06-2011, 05:57
I just began to play Rise of Flight - it's amazing, a wonderful masterpiece, love at the first glance. The Fokker Dr.I is a real beast, and if someone thinks that the Albatros D.Va is a lousy plane, he/she is totally wrong! :D

...When the dreams become true.

grumpybear
02-06-2011, 06:12
Yes I play Wings of War.

Aero825
02-06-2011, 07:50
I also play Red Baron Arcade. One of my favorite PC games ever! (Next to Plants vs. Zombies, awesome too!)

Wolf
02-08-2011, 15:22
I play battlefield and battlefieldheroes online games free.

Diamondback
02-08-2011, 15:29
Did all the Command & Conquer games except C&C4, both releases for Act of War, a few of the old Jane's sims, various Sid Meier games, Starcraft I & II, Quakes II & III, Unreal Tournament 2K4, classic Doom (not D3). Actually, my desktop is ripped right out of the installer for Red Alert 2...

Oh, and the pre-2142 Battlefields, when I can get the frickin' BF2 server to let me log on.

Can't believe I forgot Freelancer...

wargamer
02-08-2011, 16:50
various shootemups, assorted mmorpg from neverwinter nights on aol to World of Warcraft today. My son laughs about my second WoW game here.

Etairos
02-08-2011, 19:00
Just finished up Mass Effect 2, gotta wait for 3 now. Would like Dragon Age: Origins, but I'm not paying $30 for it. And now of course Wings of War Online testing. Other than that I have Lord of the Rings and Star Trek online installed, but rarely play them now.

greenbull
02-08-2011, 23:37
Lots of online Call Of Duty 'Black Ops'. In the past mostly shooters ( Halo, Call of Duty, ... )
Since WOW renewed my interest in planes, I started looking into some flying game. Hesitated a bit on Rise Of Flight and Over Flanders Fields ( both WWI ), but since I don't think my laptop ( Core I5 ) will be able to pull those games, I settled on ordering IL-Sturmovik for my Xbox360 and a Saitek Aviator joystick.

STICK
02-09-2011, 09:03
Pardus MMORPG
X-COM PC
Call of duty series XBOX
Fallout PC and XBOX
Left 4 dead XBOX
Panzer General PC
Halflife PC

I think I have tried 90% of the games and systems out there. Still love a good board or RPG on a table.

Boney10
02-09-2011, 10:17
I play Warhammer on line a lot
Played Panzer General Series from SSI liked all those, Space Gen, Allied Gen, Fantasy Gen
Got all Talonsoft batt/Regimental Napoleonic & ACW games which lead me into HPS /John Tiller games, got all the Napoleonic & ACW games.
Love Civ3, Pirates & Railway Tycoon.
Yes I play computer games

Goering Ace
02-09-2011, 12:18
I would really like to find a good World War I fighter game, but just can't seem to find one with good reviews.

Otherwise, I am content with playing war / boardgames against people sitting across the table from me.

My son plays Red baron Arcade, which is a pretty cool WWI dogfight game.

The other game he plays, which I also play on occasion, is Blazzing Angels.

Grey Knight
02-13-2011, 10:16
not really,tried flight sims got bored.would rather talk with opponant/friend,plus i like miniatures

Scotty
02-13-2011, 11:46
into my retro stuff at the mo.

Pacman
Asteroids
Street fighter 2
Wings (amiga emulation)

Can't beat the old stuff

Scotty

cpflyer
02-13-2011, 13:32
fsx red baron and blazing angels