PDA

View Full Version : Using Damage tokens

afilter
01-10-2010, 08:57
So, I believe a set of damage tokens is suppose to support up to 6 planes.

To this point I have not mixed tokens as I fear Iwould never be able to sort them back out. I have three sets, DOW, FftS, and the deluxe set and have punched two of them. I am keeping the third set unpunched if I ever did decide to mix the other two so I can use it as a rference sort them back out into two sets(probably should just photcopy them).

So far we have never had more that 6 planes dealing/taking as single type of damage so it has not been an issue.

Just wondering if anyone else is playing any huge games and what you are doing with your damge tokens?

Also how do you store your tokens? I know many use cups and I have seen some other creative containers. I use clear boxes with lids (sports cards) to keep mine in.

krolik
01-10-2010, 09:26
Here's a reply to a simular question in the WW I forum:

One of the problems that our group has found with the deck is that it is a reducing set. Each time you draw and keep a card it is not available to the rest of the players. The big example of this is the explode card, once it is drawn, it is out of the deck. Thus all the other players are safe from it. Furthermore, as the deck gets drawn down and the explode card hasn't been drawn yet, your chances are higher of getting that card.:(

We had one game where there was one card left, and it was the explode card.:eek: Everyone fled from the certain doom that awaited the next shot. Thus a very gamey situation developed, in that we all knew what the next card was.

If you are playing a 2 or 4 plane duel scenario, the card draw system works just fine. When one ,or two, planes are eliminated the game is over. But our group tended to fight much larger scenarios, upwards of 6 planes on a side. We, at first, used more than one damage deck, but we still had problems with advance knowledge of the remaining cards, leading to gamey play.

We eventually went to a chip system. We duplicated the damage deck on poker chips, and put them in a bag. When you take damage, you draw the appropriate amount of chips, look at them, record the damage, and return them to the bag. Thus it's as if every time you draw damage, you are drawing from the deck the first time.

Yes it changes the odds a bit, but not in a significant manner. Also I believe that Andrea Angiolino, the designer, based the damage on what is good for a good game, not any real life data. Or at least that is how it seems to me.:D

Also by not retaining the cards/chips there is the chance for cheating, but we haven't had that problem in our group.

You could use just one set of tokens by recording the damage and returning them to the bag/cup or whatever you hold them in. I've never really understood why the rules have you keep the tokens other than to prevent cheating.

Jmac
01-10-2010, 10:04
You know, you could do this with the deck too. Draw your card(s), mark the damage and reshuffle the card(s) back in .

I know it would really slow the game down but it would avoid the knowing what cards are left and give everyone the chance to draw the same damage.

afilter
01-10-2010, 12:49
Very good points...makes alot of sense especially with the tokens and the ease of mixing them up.

krolik
01-10-2010, 22:57
You know, you could do this with the deck too. Draw your card(s), mark the damage and reshuffle the card(s) back in .

I know it would really slow the game down but it would avoid the knowing what cards are left and give everyone the chance to draw the same damage.

That's true, just it would slow things down as you've pointed out.

KiltedWolf
11-21-2010, 21:35
Until I take the time to make chips for use, our group just shuffles the deck each time. It hasn't been shown the slow the game down -- or we are just a bunch of slow players. Usually there is something else going on to be resolved while one person (or more) are drawing damage -- usually trash talk!

That being said, we are mixed as to switching to tokens (like in DoW); some of our players really like the cards.

Cheers!

Max Headroom
11-22-2010, 01:17
In answer to the question of storing the chits and drawing randomly... If you can sew (I'm probably the only guy I know who can) or know someone who can, make some little 4" sq drawstring bags out of the appropriate color and Bob's yer uncle!

KiltedWolf
11-22-2010, 07:22
Excellent suggestion Alan.

And I raise my glass to you sir -- as a fellow man of the needle! I blame poverty and a very good friend for putting me on the threadbare path. It still amazes me how many fellows can't/don't/won't sew, and how handy it has been to know over the years.

Cheers!

Samweis
12-02-2010, 11:26
Hello,

how many damage tokens I need for a game with 2 planes or 4 planes?