PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Pilots WWI

Jager
01-10-2010, 08:35
Hi All;
I'm looking for any WWI aces who came from Scotland, preferably with a pic of thier aircraft colors. I have a friend of Scottish ancestry whom I would like to paint a model for. I looked in a couple of the Osprey Aces Of books, and didn't find any, so I'm turning to the learned sources here. ;)
Jager

IRM
01-10-2010, 10:32
I can give you several names, their aircraft type and squadron easily enough. You'll have to search around for the correct markings for their aircraft, however. Most RFC pilots didn't have individual markings, other than numbers or letters on the body and upper wing. If I come across any pics I'll add them later.

The top-scoring Scots pilot was MAJOR JOHN INGLIS GILMOUR who scored 39 victories. He flew Martinsyde "Elephants" for 27 Squadron until the middle of 1917 and Camels for 65 Squadron from the end of 1917 until the end of the war.

Others:
MAJOR GERALD MAXWELL, 26 victories, flew SE5s in 56 Squadron
2nd Lt WILLIAM CAMPBELL, 23 victories, flew Nieuports in 1 Squadron
CAPTAIN MATTHEW FREW, 23 victories, flew Camels in 45 Squadron
CAPTAIN GEORGE THOMPSON, 21 victories, flew Camels for 46 Squadron
MAJOR WILLIAM KENNEDY-COCHRAN-PATRICK, 21 victories, flew SPAD VIIs for 23 Squadron

SoldierSteve
01-10-2010, 11:11
Iain, please forgive me as I am no historian but I have to ask, are all your listed personalities RFC pilots and if so were there no notable Scots in the RNAS?

IRM
01-10-2010, 14:03
Those are the top 5 Scottish pilots on record, all RFC. There was a number of Scots in the RNAS, but none of them scored more than a dozen victories. At least, not the ones I could easily find information on.

Jager
01-12-2010, 05:42
Thanks much for the list. Major Gilmour must have good and/or luck to have survived in the Elephants. I do remember the lack of personal markings for the Brit planes. I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks again.
Jager

IRM
01-12-2010, 22:29
You should be able to find squadron markings easily enough, good luck on getting aircraft lettering. The only pics I could get were for the usual suspects (Mannock, McCudden et al). The only one of Gilmour I could get was in his Elephant.

Regarding Major Gilmour, one entry I found on him has him doing particularly well on July 1st 1918. In the space of 45 minutes he shot down 3 Fokker DVIIs, a Pfalz and an Albatros DVa :eek: Let's see any of you lot manage that in-game:)

EDIT: There's actually a surviving 65 Squadron Camel at the RAF Museum in London, should at least give you the squadron markings.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sopwith_Camel_2.jpg

Jager
01-14-2010, 12:25
Good news: I found my copy of camel aces and Gilmour and Frew have colour plates, with Frew having a top view. It seems that the RNAS planes had a lot more colour. Thanks all

IRM
01-14-2010, 15:18
Sorted:) Wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of the finished aircraft.

Scooby
01-28-2010, 12:55
You should be able to find squadron markings easily enough, good luck on getting aircraft lettering. The only pics I could get were for the usual suspects (Mannock, McCudden et al). The only one of Gilmour I could get was in his Elephant.

Regarding Major Gilmour, one entry I found on him has him doing particularly well on July 1st 1918. In the space of 45 minutes he shot down 3 Fokker DVIIs, a Pfalz and an Albatros DVa :eek: Let's see any of you lot manage that in-game:)

EDIT: There's actually a surviving 65 Squadron Camel at the RAF Museum in London, should at least give you the squadron markings.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sopwith_Camel_2.jpg

Hi there,

I have pictures of Gilmour, copies of his commission and medal certificates etc - am happy to copy them if required.
I also have a copy of his death certificate if you want that - regretably he came to a very sad end. Would need to check but am pretty sure I have newspaper cuttings etc for him from after the war.

Jager
01-31-2010, 13:18
Thanks again. The link to the RAF museum was nice. I'll post pics when I get to them, but it will be a bit (have to reconstruct my work area at home first, and it's not the first priority ).
Simon, I'll keep your offer in mind, if my friend wants more on Gilmour; right now, I'm hoping to intice him into dabbling with WOW.
Karl